How is the internet on Empress

I am accustomed to using wifi calling to stay in touch with my 93 year old mother. On Anthem I was able to do this with Surf only ( I am not trying to face time, just make calls). On Grandeur Surf was not adequate and I had to upgrade to surf and stream. I previously purchased Surf only for an upcoming Empress cruise for an excellent price. Do I need to upgrade to Surf and Stream on Empress ( rates are no longer a bargain and this close to sailing probably will not be, though still cheaper than on board).

Thanks for your help.

On Empress it will be much like Grandeur and completely unlike Anthem.

Anthem uses newer satellite technology, neither Grandeur or Empress do.  They use the 40+ year old geostationary satellite technology.    That tech is so old it had to be adapted from carrying TV stations to providing internet since the internet didn't exist when that satellite technology was first invented.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Also interested. Of course Anthem has great VOOM. I use it for work all the time.

Grandeur's VOOM is weaker, but still usable. We did buy Surf & Stream on both and was actually able to stream TV.

Planning to buy S&S on E.

Having said what I said about Empress Voom there are fewer people on this ship and I've been able to use wifi calling and stream on it.  

Newer ships use the O3b satellite platform.   All Quantum, Oasis and Freedom class use O3b when they are in range to do so ( +/- 50° latitude).  Enchantment and Majesty also uses O3b but with less throughput than the big ships. 

All other ships including Empress use the old technology.  The rest of the Vision class and all Voyager class use the old tech.  Empress shares a transponder with some of them.  

So while it's not the same experience as ships like Anthem, on Empress it's still the 3rd or 4th fastest internet on the sea (for cruise ships).

All satellite internet is impacted by rain clouds so if you have crappy weather you will probably also have crappy internet on your cruise.