Volendam - embarkation day lunch suggestions?

Harters

Hi. Can anyone please advise as to what lunch opportunities there are likely to be. And is there a "best bet" amongst these, which will make for a pleasant start to the cruise?

On our last cruise (Oceania), there was only the buffet and it was absolutely packed and not at all a relaxing start.

TIA

John

Except for rare instances, the MDR is open on HAL ships between 12:00 and 1:30.  The menu is somewhat limited though.  When you first walk on stewards will be directing everyone to the Lido.

Just ignore them, head to your room to drop carry-ons, and then head to the MDR. If its not open, then go to the DiveIn or Lido.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 2

HAL has several options for you.  The buffet, of course.  You'll find that HAL staff will serve you throughout the cruise in this venue to lower the threat of Noro.  Personally, I like it.  Other passengers complain that it slows the lines too much.  On embarkation day, it can be a hectic environment, depending on when you arrive.  

Dive-In is another option.  It's the burger/hot dog place near the Lido main pool.  Delicious gourmet burgers and Nathan's hot dogs with the best fries.  What's not to love?

You don't mention the ship you're booked on.  Many ships have a pizza station at the aft Lido pool which is another choice for you.  On Pinnacle class ships, you can also grab a sandwich or pizza at New York Deli, located on the balcony above the main Lido pool.  Wonderful and delicious choices there.  Be sure to ask for extra meat on the sandwiches.

All HAL ships generally serve lunch on embarkation day in the MDR (lower level) from noon until 1:30, which I prefer.  Not crowded or rushed.  You're seated at a linen-draped table and waited on by the friendly staff.  This is definitely your best bet if you want to avoid a loud, crowded atmosphere.  You may be told that they're not serving lunch in the MDR, but check it out anyway.  All HAL ships position their MDRs at the aft.  Hope this information helps you select the best option for your needs.  

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

You don't mention the ship you're booked on.  Many ships have a pizza station at the aft Lido pool

Title says Volendam. Deck plans don't show a pizza place, but we've never been on the ship so can't confirm that. Deck plans for R class ships show a New York Pizza only on Rotterdam.

Edited by catl331

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

Title says Volendam. Deck plans don't show a pizza place, but we've never been on the ship so can't confirm that. Deck plans for R class ships show a New York Pizza only on Rotterdam.

Correct.  Rotterdam is the only S & R ship with. N Y Pizza to the best of my knowledge.

Of course, the OP can get pizza slices in the Lido proper but it’s not the same as the pizza at NY Pizza IMO.

#1 choice for me is the MDR if it is open for lunch as it always has been for every cruise I have recently sailed.  Hours are limited; on the Volendam:  Noon to 1:00 P.M. is probably more likely than a 1:30 P.M. cut off time.  

Dining at prime time in the Lido, regardless of sailing day or not, can be chaotic.  If one misses the cut off time for the MDR, either try the Dive-in or wait until after prime lunch time to dine at the Lido.  I have been told that Room Service also is available for lunch on Embarkation Day, but I have not tried that.  The staff is sufficiently busy to not have to worry about feeding me.

Many thanks, all. I think the MDR will suit us best, assuming it's open.

Noted that it may be restricted hours which shouldn't be a problem as such. Our previous night in Vancouver is only a short cab ride away from the dock, so we plan to board as early as possible (whenever that is)

2 minutes ago, Harters said:

Many thanks, all. I think the MDR will suit us best, assuming it's open.

Noted that it may be restricted hours which shouldn't be a problem as such. Our previous night in Vancouver is only a short cab ride away from the dock, so we plan to board as early as possible (whenever that is)

If you read around the board, you will see embarkation will start around 11:30. So if you in Terminal by 10:30 or so, you should be able to board early enough to easily catch the limited hours in the MDR.