Someone's reporting The Galley is a buffet even though VV doesn't want to call it that

NutsAboutGolf

5 hours ago, ChipLondon said:

Okay I can clear this up IT IS NOT A BUFFET.....

You cannot serve yourself at any of the food sections, you cannot pile your plate up with a selection of different meals, each serving is prepared for you as per your order. ( maybe with the exception of Bread or Desserts. ) Therefore there is much less food waste, no nobody ( who may have just come out of a bathroom, without washing their hands ) is touching the tongs or service spoons. I really like this area and am on board for a 9 day sailing.

Thanks for the clarification. I think the KEY aspects is that the food is for the most part prepared to order and that it is served to you while you wait. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:28 AM, ano said:

I don't know. Oceania serves everything to you and they call theirs a buffet. 

As does Holland America, for the most part. And Oceania did have some self-service stuff (like sushi) when I was on Regatta. 

I think they're just trying to avoid the negative connotation that their target market probably has when they say "cruise ship buffet".

Sorry for the duplicate posts, CC is acting up.

Edited by MisterBill99

I can't beleive this has turned into such an argument, but here's the difference between a buffet and a food hall. At a buffet, you go down a line with your plate and either serve yourself or someone serves you food made in bulk in a central kitchen. In a food hall, you order what you want from different stations and things are made to order. They have separate chefs/kitchens from each other. Anybody who lives in a major city probably has multiple food halls they're familiar with. Yes, technically on virgin all of the food is still made by virgin, but based on their claims and early reports the concept is still much more similar to a food hall than a buffet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I can't beleive this has turned into such an argument

I'm the OP, I started this thread as the first wave of reviews/videos claimed to "expose" the galley as a buffet.  As more review/videos came out, it's clear that the Galley does not fit the dictionary definition of a buffet.  It appears that nothing is self serve and even the desserts are served to you.

I asked sailor services how they’re not having a buffet when it what they were doing in the galley met the definition of a buffet here is their reply:

Ahoy Gary, Words are known to have multiple definitions. We enjoy playing homage to seafarers and sea travel by using different nautical terminology around Scarlet Lady.
The beauty of language is that when a word means something, humans are able to celebrate its meaning and use it to represent something else such as a title, an area, or even an emotion.
Galley -noun, plural gal·leys.
a kitchen or an area with kitchen facilities in a ship, plane, or camper.
We are using the title “The Galley” as an area that serves a variety of food options where a Sailor can choose what they want to eat. In order for food to be available, chefs must prepare these items in a kitchen or kitchen-like setting, hence the term galley.

Specifically, if one were to ask Sailor Services to define "Cruise Ship Buffet," I think this would be close to their reply:

Cruise Ship Buffet, noun, large area of ship designated as a Meeting Point for gluttons, frequented by obese passengers with a plate in each hand, that's piled high with luke-warm, greasy food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, garymfreedman said:

I asked sailor services how they’re not having a buffet when it what they were doing in the galley met the definition of a buffet here is their reply:

Ahoy Gary, Words are known to have multiple definitions. We enjoy playing homage to seafarers and sea travel by using different nautical terminology around Scarlet Lady.
The beauty of language is that when a word means something, humans are able to celebrate its meaning and use it to represent something else such as a title, an area, or even an emotion.
Galley -noun, plural gal·leys.
a kitchen or an area with kitchen facilities in a ship, plane, or camper.
We are using the title “The Galley” as an area that serves a variety of food options where a Sailor can choose what they want to eat. In order for food to be available, chefs must prepare these items in a kitchen or kitchen-like setting, hence the term galley.

From my multiple sales meetings with Virgin Voyages, the Galley is a food hall. Each separate eatery has it's own chef (unlike mass cruise lines that have one chef overseeing all food offerings). The restaurants onboard also have their own separate chef driven menus. From everything that I have heard and read "from the horses mouth" the Galley is most certainly not a buffet. I have not been onboard yet, so the truth may be different than what I have been told.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Was looking at this video and this persons reporting The Galley, which has 10+ international eateries.  Regardless there are plenty of other places to eat on the ship, I just found it interesting.  Fast forward to 6:30

It's a food court along the lines of what has been popping up all over the states. Multiple eateries in a single space. You just don't serve yourself like a buffet. They serve you. 

On 3/1/2020 at 7:57 PM, resstation said:

From my multiple sales meetings with Virgin Voyages, the Galley is a food hall. Each separate eatery has it's own chef (unlike mass cruise lines that have one chef overseeing all food offerings). The restaurants onboard also have their own separate chef driven menus. From everything that I have heard and read "from the horses mouth" the Galley is most certainly not a buffet. I have not been onboard yet, so the truth may be different than what I have been told.

Right - and guests are "sailors"