Lobster on formal night

roadrunner4545

Yes as of two weeks ago they had lobster on the 2nd formal night. Plus you could request 2 or both the beef/etc entree plus the lobster. Also Escargot as appetizer- was delicious. Must have a slightly new recipe- was the best we have had on Princess!

• Like 1

Aboard the Royal a couple of weeks ago we did B2B cruises. On first week, not only was lobster served in the MDR,it  was served along with oysters, in the buffet. Thought we would beat the crowd on the second week only to find that they had not repeated the lobster/oyster offerings 😞

Unfortunately our lobster was the worst we ever had on the last formal night. It was a dry tail (no drawn butter) sitting on a bed of very tasteless dry rice paste. Both my wife and I requested a second tail and when the waiter asked us if we wanted the 2nd tail, we both said no. It was our worst meal of our cruise.

My wife ordered a lobster tail at the Crown Grill. It was large and served with drawn butter. She thought it was excellent.

This was on our Feb 2 Caribbean Princess cruise.

7 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

Unfortunately our lobster was the worst we ever had on the last formal night. It was a dry tail (no drawn butter) sitting on a bed of very tasteless dry rice paste. Both my wife and I requested a second tail and when the waiter asked us if we wanted the 2nd tail, we both said no. It was our worst meal of our cruise.

My wife ordered a lobster tail at the Crown Grill. It was large and served with drawn butter. She thought it was excellent.

This was on our Feb 2 Caribbean Princess cruise.

Totally agree! I think they serve it this way now so that no one will partake in seconds

On my last cruise with 3 formal nights (15 day Panama Canal ocean to ocean on the Emerald), there was broiled lobster tail on the 2nd and 3rd formal night. However, this isn't coldwater lobster. It has not much taste of its own.

20200111_200140tpk0s.jpg

2nd formal night: Broiled lobster tail Caribbean style.

20200115_195559pqk0r.jpg

3rd formal night: Broiled lobster tail with risotto. This is the standard Princess MDR lobster dish now.
The risotto was not bad this time. But the whole dish just looks awful now.
Some time ago, this MDR dish came also with king prawn, which usually was much more tasty than the lobster tail itself.

If you want better stuff, you need the upgrade (19 USD surcharge):

0836_img_5954by4jau.jpg

Broiled cold water lobster tail from Crown Grill in the MDR (on Diamond Princess).

This one tastes much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EDVM96. Thanks for the photos. I said rice above, but after your photo and consult with my wife, it was Risotto not rice. But whatever it was, it was a tasteless paste that delivered no flavor or moisture to the tail.

We already booked our 2021 cruise so the lobster in the MDR didn't deter us from returning to Princess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

it was Risotto not rice. But whatever it was, it was a tasteless paste that delivered no flavor or moisture to the tail.

I know what you mean. Had this before, too. But on the Emerald last time, it was a nice risotto.

4 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

We already booked our 2021 cruise so the lobster in the MDR didn't deter us from returning to Princess.

Of course not. 😄
And there is still the Beef Wellington on the 2nd formal night. But this one is also hit or miss.

• Like 1

We are sailing Princess for the first time in May, but have 19 cruises on several other lines under our belts. If Princess is the same as the others, and I have no reason to believe they would not be, the lobster served is of the warm water Caribbean variety, which are generally smaller and considerably cheaper than Maine lobster. Even the tail that is cooked tableside in Murano, a $50 specialty restaurant on Celebrity uses the warm water type.

The only way you'll get Maine lobster is if it's specified on the menu.

Oh, and newsflash: Risotto IS rice (normally the Arborio, short grain variety)!

• Like 1

The last time we had lobster on Princess was quite a surprise as it was in MDR and was absolutely the best I have ever had on a Princess ship - whether in MDR or in Crown Grill. I almost didn't order it as it is usually not all that good but was very happy that I had gone ahead with the order. (I have actually had lobster that was vastly better but it wasn't on a ship.)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Guindalf said:

The only way you'll get Maine lobster is if it's specified on the menu.

Correct. The Crown Grill menu calls it Maine Lobster Tail. And it had to be ordered 1 day in advance on the Diamond for the MDR. On the Emerald, no pre-order was required.

• Like 1