Newbie Questions - Getaway from NOLA

mgrace56

My kids (age 11 and 15) and I will be sailing on Getaway out of NOLA on 3/15. I have been on only one cruise and that was 15 years ago so I have a few questions that I can seem to find the answers to.

Our eDocs say boarding begins at 12:00. What time should we get to the port and what does that process look like? I have done the online check in for all of us. 

How long does it take to get off the ship at the different ports. We have some private excursions scheduled in Cozumel and Roatan. Do we need to get in "line" early or does it go pretty quickly?

Is there a difference between Tropicana, Taste and Savor dining rooms? 

I tried to book dinner reservations (we also have dining package) but am unable to do this because it will not allow me to book for a party of 3. I tried calling and they basically said I would have to do it on board. Where do I go to do this on board and is it a big pain? I don't necessarily need reservations every night, but I wanted to get them for the specialty restaurants and for a couple of nights that we have 7:30 show reservations. 

I'm sure I have other questions, but that is it for now. Thank you so much!

With regard to the dining, make the reservation for four and then when you get onboard let them know it will be only three, especially the Teppanyaki restaurant if you are booking them, because there is limited seating.

You can get to the port anytime.  When I did this cruise on the Breakaway, I always showed up around 11:30.  If you are not going to take your bags on the ship, you will drop them off across the street from the terminal, then walk to the terminal and go through security screening like at the airport and then to one of the lines to check in and get your key cards.

We like to arrive about 10:30, check in and boarding usually begins around 11:15 - 11:30.  At ports, unless it is a tendered port, leaving the ship usually begins about 30 minutes after docking.  It then goes pretty quickly about as fast as persons can exit through security. For reservations try booking for either two or four.  It’s a messed up system.  It doesn’t matter once you are on board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

With regard to the dining, make the reservation for four and then when you get onboard let them know it will be only three, especially the Teppanyaki restaurant if you are booking them, because there is limited seating.

You can get to the port anytime.  When I did this cruise on the Breakaway, I always showed up around 11:30.  If you are not going to take your bags on the ship, you will drop them off across the street from the terminal, then walk to the terminal and go through security screening like at the airport and then to one of the lines to check in and get your key cards.

Not take my bags on the ship? Do you mean I not take them on myself? So leave them with porter (like a sky cap at the airport)?

Edited by mgrace56

23 minutes ago, mgrace56 said:

Not take my bags on the ship? Do you mean I not take them on myself? So leave them with porter (like a sky cap at the airport)?

The majority of people arriving at the port to board a ship will indeed leave their bags with a porter.  As your car/cab/taxi/uber arrives at the ship's location, there will be a bunch of porters there to greet you and to take your bag from you.  Have your ship's luggage tag on it already.  The porters in the USA will generally be expecting a few dollars tip when they take the bag from you.  Not every one tips, however.  But the porters expect it.  Keep all your valuables and medications with you in a smaller bag.  Drop the bag and then ask the porter where you are to go next.  They will point you to the doors to get in the terminal for checkin.

IF you luggage is small enough to fit through an x-ray machine like they use at airports and IF you wish to keep your luggage with you, you may carry it on yourself instead of leaving it with the porters.  But you must be able to manage it all and it must be x-rayed.

2 hours ago, mgrace56 said:

The only difference between the 3 free main dining rooms is the decor.  They all serve the same menu each night.  The menus are posted outside the dining rooms early in the day, so you can go look at them and decide if you wish to eat in a dining room that night or not.  About 1/2 of the menu is a fixed menu that doesn't change from night to night.  The other 1/2 of the menu will change each night.  So on a week cruise, the overall menu in the main dining rooms is different each night.  Tropicana's decor is a little more "formal/stylish" in my opinion than the other 2.  All 3 are worth a visit if just to check out the differences.

2 hours ago, mgrace56 said:

My kids (age 11 and 15) and I will be sailing on Getaway out of NOLA on 3/15. I have been on only one cruise and that was 15 years ago so I have a few questions that I can seem to find the answers to.

Our eDocs say boarding begins at 12:00. What time should we get to the port and what does that process look like? I have done the online check in for all of us. 

How long does it take to get off the ship at the different ports. We have some private excursions scheduled in Cozumel and Roatan. Do we need to get in "line" early or does it go pretty quickly?

I tried to book dinner reservations (we also have dining package) but am unable to do this because it will not allow me to book for a party of 3. I tried calling and they basically said I would have to do it on board. Where do I go to do this on board and is it a big pain? I don't necessarily need reservations every night, but I wanted to get them for the specialty restaurants and for a couple of nights that we have 7:30 show reservations. 

I'm sure I have other questions, but that is it for now. Thank you so much!

Since you have some “chores to do” arrive early. 

We show up by 10:15 am. Gives you some time to get through security and checkin. general boarding will start before 11:30. 

You keep your hand carry and check your luggage at the curb with the porters. There is a link on your edocs to print out luggage tags. The bags are delivered to your stateroom before sail away. 

At checkin, get an All Aboard Gide (single large sheet with a ship map). On the guide, it will tell you where to go for entertainment reservations (usually Headliners deck 6 midship) and dining reservations (may be Acroaa the hall at teppanyaki). 

Go to show reservations first. Book your comedy shows (early shows are for family, late shows are 18+). Complimentary escape rooms (fun for you and the kids - puzzle solving). 

Once you know when your shows are, go make dining reservations. Prime time dining will sell out, so make this a priority. 

The Tropicana Room is the bigger MDR aft. Taste and Savor are the two smaller MDR. They all serve the same menu. 

On embarkation day, the buffet, Taste, Savoe and O’Sheehans are all open for lunch. They will get very busy, so go to lunch early. 

The pools and water slides will be open if you bring your swimsuits. 

Everyone needs to attend muster (lifeboat frill) before departure. Go early if you want to sit. 

Edit: as soon as you finish lunch, go to the splash academy and entourage club to enroll your kids. MAKE SURE you let your kids go on the first night,,, that is when they make friends for the cruise. And you can have some mom time while the kids hang out at the clubs. 

Edited by BirdTravels

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Since you have some “chores to do” arrive early. 

We show up by 10:15 am. Gives you some time to get through security and checkin. general boarding will start before 11:30. 

You keep your hand carry and check your luggage at the curb with the porters. There is a link on your edocs to print out luggage tags. The bags are delivered to your stateroom before sail away. 

At checkin, get an All Aboard Gide (single large sheet with a ship map). On the guide, it will tell you where to go for entertainment reservations (usually Headliners deck 6 midship) and dining reservations (may be Acroaa the hall at teppanyaki). 

Go to show reservations first. Book your comedy shows (early shows are for family, late shows are 18+). Complimentary escape rooms (fun for you and the kids - puzzle solving). 

Once you know when your shows are, go make dining reservations. Prime time dining will sell out, so make this a priority. 

The Tropicana Room is the bigger MDR aft. Taste and Savor are the two smaller MDR. They all serve the same menu. 

On embarkation day, the buffet, Taste, Savoe and O’Sheehans are all open for lunch. They will get very busy, so go to lunch early. 

The pools and water slides will be open if you bring your swimsuits. 

Everyone needs to attend muster (lifeboat frill) before departure. Go early if you want to sit. 

Edit: as soon as you finish lunch, go to the splash academy and entourage club to enroll your kids. MAKE SURE you let your kids go on the first night,,, that is when they make friends for the cruise. And you can have some mom time while the kids hang out at the clubs. 

This is great, thank you!!

Nobody mentioned the fact you do have to dress up a bit more in Tropicana. I believe shorts are not allowed.

If you plan to make any meal reservations you best do it as soon as they are available because the early timers are gone in a flash. There was 6 of us in a group on Breakaway in June.  We made no reservations ahead of time and was able to do it on ship. I will never wait again, but we were new to the reservation thing.

10 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Nobody mentioned the fact you do have to dress up a bit more in Tropicana. I believe shorts are not allowed.

If you plan to make any meal reservations you best do it as soon as they are available because the early timers are gone in a flash. There was 6 of us in a group on Breakaway in June.  We made no reservations ahead of time and was able to do it on ship. I will never wait again, but we were new to the reservation thing.

And they will have live music in the Tropicana.  

13 hours ago, mgrace56 said:

Yes, if you are not taking them yourself, which some people do, there is a luggage drop off across the street from where you check in at the port, your cab or uber driver will know where it is, just hand them off to the porter there and they will eventually be delivered to your stateroom.

13 hours ago, mgrace56 said:

Take a small carry on and bring bathing suits for the kids.  Our kids always like to get in the pool when we get there.  You will not get your bags back until later that day.

Interesting to see them publish the boarding starts at 12:00 for a 4:00 sailing. Since everyone must be on board by 2:00 that is short time to board.

They know that many people will show up much earlier.  As noted above, many arrive 10:30 to 11:00 expecting boarding to begin shortly after 11:00.  That is typical in most ports.

I think the reason they are publishing 12:00 is that the port is a tight squeeze for all the people getting off, and getting on the bigger ships.

I was on the Breakway for the first arrival of a big NCL ship in New Orleans and the disembarkation was a nightmare.There was also a Carnival ship that arrived at the same time.  The 2 lane road jammed with buses and vehicles trying to do arranged pickups.  Taxis ran out and they could not get more in so people backed up inside the terminal.  Chaos.  Then, while there were still at least 1,000 of us waiting to get out of the terminal building, passengers began to arrive for the next cruise... and could not get around us to check in.  We waited over an hour to get a taxi.

So I think they are trying to avoid that scenario.