Upgrade Chances when booking Guaranteed...

95% of the times that we've booked the past 30+ cruises we have pick our own cabin #/location.  Only twice that we've gambled on booking lower priced Guaranteed cabins & found that we've been given pretty decent cabins in the Same category, both mid-ship higher decks.

Just curious, for future Guaranteed cabins during the off season (April - May, Sept - Nov, in Caribbean), what's our chances of getting upgraded to higher categories,  ie: going from Inside to Oceanview or maybe Balcony. 

Less than 10%?

Any better chances now that we're Diamond?  or doesn't matter?

Thanks,

Only once did anyone in my family ever get a one stateroom type of upgrade (inside to ocean view porthole) and it was a booking three days before the cruise.  That was over the course of 20ish rooms.  Now that they have the bidding for upgrades, I wouldn't hold my breath.  

Chances for an upgrade in modern times are very slim.  This is especially true since the RoyalUp paid upgrade program was introduced.  Offer a free upgrade to a GTY booking or accept a bid from someone willing to pay for that upgrade?  The company will choose the latter.  

If an upgrade is to be had, Diamond status, or any status in CAS has no bearing.  If ever CAS status was to enter into the equation there will always be a D+ or P in line for the upgrade over a D.  However as offered above if they have a bid for an upgrade in the RoyalUp system they will accept that money over upgrading anyone at any level in CAS.

What can sometimes influence GTY bookings and possibly an upgrade is muster station capacity.  

Each muster station has a finite capacity.  Once that is reached no additional guests can be booked into cabins that use that muster station.  In some cases by moving parties of a certain size to another muster station that has surplus capacity they might be able to free up space in the original muster station and now they can book additional guests or offer a cabin that otherwise couldn't be sold.

In some cases they oversell GTY and in rare cases that can lead to an upgrade.  I wouldn't count on it though.

When booking GTY assume the cabin you will end up with is going to be undesirable.  Otherwise someone probably would have selected that cabin.  This is the worst case scenario and hopefully it won't occur but if it does your expectations won't be dashed.

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Less than 10%?

Not only are your chances of an upgrade much less than that, on many ships, recently, the actual assignment comes so late you don't get a chance to move to another cabin (because ship is full) in a better location (which was possible before).

I like the unknown of guarantees but never got a different cat, like from inside to ov etc.

But have had some decent cabins from them.

I like the surprise element. I've picked guarantee over picking a cabin even when the same price. I just love the surprise. Only once I got a quad and didnt want a quad solo. Upper supports in the way. Booked very late. I often book late because my parents are older and dont want the chance something will come up with them. 

I would have to think twice about booking a GTY or Royal up bid again.  We received a connecting room on the ocean view balcony we received with our up bid.  This was on the Harmony so the connecting door was across from the bathroom.  The couple next door talked very loud and you could hear almost everything they said.  Even could hear her hair dryer.  Not to mention an argument they had about spending money.