LIVE from the EURODAM - CIRCLE HAWAII

sansterre

5 hours ago, sansterre said:

Boarding seemed to go well.  We had to complete a survey asking 3 questions about if we had a fever and if we had been in China, Japan, Hong Kong, etc. or in contact with anyone  who had coronavirus.  We checked "NO" in three boxes and signed at the bottom.  I was surprised that there was no one taking temperatures.

We were given a letter at check-in written by Dr. Tarling, Chief Medical Officer titled Health Advisory - Coronavirus.  It listed adopted measures intended to keep us safe.  #1 said: "Guests who have traveled from or through mainland China (including Hubei Province) in the past 14 days, will not be permitted to board the ship.  This does not apply to Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan". That one surprised me but the rest of the letter was full of tips to stay healthy and what to do if experiencing any symptoms of illness.

Everything went smoothly once on board.  After dropping off our carry-ons in the cabin, we met our room steward Frank, then checked on dining arrangements at guest services.  By the time we returned, our luggage was in the room. We emptied most of the suitcases before and after the drill, then enjoyed dinner and our head waiter named Made.

Day 2  It is a beautiful day outside with blue sky and sunshine.  But it is windy and that makes it difficult to walk a straight line on the Eurodam.  The outside doors are closed to prevent injury etc.

We were up early, breakfast in the MDR (main dining room) when it opened at 8.  

By 9:00 I was on the Lido Deck with a pile of orchids in front of me.  I made a lei to wear to dinner tonight!  (pictures tomorrow)  It wasn't difficult, just took some time with cotton thread and a special long needle that allowed us (about 50 cruisers) to add 5 flowers at a time.  In Hawaii people earn about $9 an hour making leis and they sell them everywhere.  We might even find them in Walmart!  

At 9:45 I entered B.B.Kings venue we held our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet.  Since I had made the arrangements with HAL, I arrived 15 minutes early to be sure things were set up properly.  Tables were set up and staff was just beginning to bring in coffee, water, and cookies.  Of the 80 people signed up, about 50 attended and for the next 40 minutes we put a face to the names we had seen on our Roll Call for the past few months.

At 1:00 DH and I attended Pop Trivia, 30 questions pop quiz on a theme.  The theme this time was "animals".  We missed two - what is a Flemish Giant?  and what animal can go 10 months without water?

Trivia is at 4:00 and the evening trivia will be a music trivia, which we probably won't do as we don't remember many songs.  BTW a Flemish giant is a rabbit.......and a camel can go 10 months without water.  We thought that was too obvious so went with Giraffe which is also able to go without water for long periods of time.

The captain has told us the windy weather should continue throughout the evening.  But the Eurodam is cruising well through the wind and waves.

If you have any specific questions, ask away, and I will try to respond to those that I can.

Great info! Thanks so much for posting. New M & G greeting should be elbow touches! lol  (a little like the macarena?)

Overnight and most of today the ship has been rocking and rolling. The Captain said that the seas should be smoother tomorrow (Tuesday).

Internet is no longer by the minute, a great improvement. Surfer package is $179.99 for the entire cruise.

1 hour ago, Jimbo59 said:

Overnight and most of today the ship has been rocking and rolling. The Captain said that the seas should be smoother tomorrow (Tuesday).

Internet is no longer by the minute, a great improvement. Surfer package is $179.99 for the entire cruise.

Which is normal departing the West Coast.

I am in Hawaii now. It has been a wetter, windy last couple of days. It should be calmed the next 4 or 5 days...but maybe  some more wind this weekend. 

Day 3 - We continue on a course of 250 WSW.  The seas have smoothed and the outside doors were opened today.  Still, it is windy and brisk outside - 59 degrees last I heard.

Today we attended the Wine Tasting along with 50 + others.  It was very good.

Tonight is the first Gala night.  There is also a captain's toast and entertainment by the Dutch Tenors.

Otherwise busy with reading, knitting, and trivia.  I have a book from the Oprah Book Club.  More on that tonight as 4:00 Trivia calls right now.  I will list officers and answer most of your questions tonight.  Will figure out how to post photos too!

• Like 1

We attended the Captain's Toast and entertainment by the Dutch Tenors last night.

Unfortunately we missed the champagne as we entered at Level 1, but by entering on Level 1, you get the best seats without having to struggle with the stairs while holding a glass of champagne.  IMO, entering on Level 1 is the best way to attend anything going on in the Main Theatre.  The red leather seats are lovely and sit well, but the arms are high and a bit uncomfortable for me.

Cruise Director Valerie Perry  (this was the first time we had seen her)  introduced Captain Barhorst who gave a short talk about the seas, and the cruise ahead.  It was the first time we had see the Captain too, but we always hear a weather report from him every day around noon.  To the weather report he adds a bit of additional information such as more about the port, or the seas we are going through.  Yesterday it was all about the Pacific Ocean and how it covers as much of the earth's surface as all the land mass put together.  

The Dutch Tenors really wowed the crowd.....great voices and some great songs.  We were glad we attended even though walking back to our aft cabin was a bit of a struggle for me.  Bad knees and rocking boats do not mix well.  They have been on the Eurodam for a week or so (all or part of the previous cruise) and will perform again the night we arrive in Kona - YAY! 

• Like 4

On 3/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, oaktreerb said:

Who is your cruise director?  EXC locations rep?   Kainoa is a well liked Hawaiian locations personality.  Is he onboard?  Lei making sounds like fun.  Did you make them for Gala night?   It sounds like your roll call meet and greet was planned for a perfect time with a good turnout.  

Yes Kainoa is on board as we cruise to Kona.  There are also 3 women who helped with the lei making while he gave directions.  They also do classes in How to play the Ukulele and Hula Dancing.  Tomorrow we are suppose to make bracelets.  I think they may be doing the EXC presentations, but not sure if there is a HAL rep doing EXC too. I did wear my lei to dinner Monday night and to Gala night last night.  I forgot to take a photo of me wearing the lei, but just downloaded photos of making the lei so will post them.   

But first a list of our Officers.

• Like 1

Sorry about that, my post disappeared, then reappeared after I redid it.

Here are our officers as listed in Meet the Officers:

Captain:  Eric Barhorst, 20 years with HAL

Hotel Director:  Wessel Van Oorschot, 14 years with HAL

Food and Beverage Director:  Serhat Kati, new with HAL

(not sure why Staff Captain is not listed)

Cruise and Travel Director:  Valerie Perry, new with HAL

6 hours ago, sansterre said:

Yes Kainoa is on board as we cruise to Kona.  There are also 3 women who helped with the lei making while he gave directions.  They also do classes in How to play the Ukulele and Hula Dancing.  Tomorrow we are suppose to make bracelets.  I think they may be doing the EXC presentations, but not sure if there is a HAL rep doing EXC too. I did wear my lei to dinner Monday night and to Gala night last night.  I forgot to take a photo of me wearing the lei, but just downloaded photos of making the lei so will post them.   

But first a list of our Officers.

Boy, he gets around!  Most recently he was on the World Cruise.  We have had him onboard for a couple of cruises, such a nice guy, and does great presentations. 

• Like 1

On our Circle Hawaii in November 2018, we lucked out by having calm but following seas on the way out. I found the daily Navigation talk very interesting. The Eurodam is one of my favorite ships and would love to sail on her again.

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

On our Circle Hawaii in November 2018, we lucked out by having calm but following seas on the way out. I found the daily Navigation talk very interesting. The Eurodam is one of my favorite ships and would love to sail on her again.

I understand our harsh conditions were due to a combination of the usual rough waters off the coast and a storm or front that hit San Diego on Sunday.  We had similar conditions the last time we cruised to Hawaii several years ago and on our return the water was like glass for the last two days as we reached Ensenada and San Diego.  

Today, Day 4, the seas are much better, and weather is nicer.  The pools are refilled (they were emptied with the rough waters) and the roof over the Lido Pool was partially open!

• Like 1

I found one of my photos!  This one is the hotel we stayed at in San Diego, the Sheraton Marina Hotel.

The photo is taken during dinner (great hamburger).  Our room didn't have as great a view, but I recommend the hotel highly.  Breakfast buffet was included in our plan and it was wonderful with lots of choices including fresh fruit, nice selection of pastries, and omelets made to order.

Perhaps the lei photos will show up next 🙂

7 - 1.jpg

• Like 4

Day 4  - We gained an hour, and an extra hour of sleep last night.  So breakfast in the Main Dining Room was busier than usual.  Service was a bit slow but we had no place to go so it was fine with us.  

At 10:00 I attended a session about Lahaina by EXC.  The talk was by the cruise director so I think we can assume that she is also the EXC representative.  

At 11:00 I joined Judy in the Crows Nest where we chatted and knitted for about an hour.  We are hoping more needleworkers will join us.  I had a snack in the Lido (more about that below).

Our usual 1:00 Pub Trivia Session did not get on the daily program.  We later found out it was because Monica was double booked with another event and there was no one else available to take her place.  Seems like just about anyone could ask questions and read off the answers, but it was not to be.

At 2:00 I was in the Greenhouse Spa for a badly needed pedicure and manicure.  Ahhhhh.

4:00 saw us back in the Billboard for Trivia and a perfect score of 19.  We gave our pins to the second place team who were close behind us with 17.  The pins say "Caribbean" as the "Hawaii" pins are not here yet.

Dinner in the MDR was very good.  The French Onion Soup is a favorite of mine and I have had it 3 of the 4 nights.  DH likes the salmon which is also available every night and it is now served with capers and dill.  Duncan Tuck, a musical entertainer performed tonight but we decided to watch a movie in our cabin and I need to start reading the Oprah Reading Book, Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout.

One thing is puzzling to me.......I see no special concern about coronavirus.  Yes, we got the word to wash our hands often and there are machines outside the restaurants with antibacterial "hand cleaner" to use.  But in the MDR, salt and pepper grinders are on the tables, no one is monitoring the figs and mints as you leave, you help yourself. And today, my first time in the Lido at lunchtime.  People got their own water,  and helped  themselves to food items.  I opened the door to get a dessert for myself, but in doing that I thought about all the other people who had touched that opener.  For myself, I carry hand sanitizer and wipes with me and use them frequently (actually after touching anything).  It is concerning - I listen to the news and hear about the virus in the U.S. and other countries but it seems that no one is thinking about possibly being here on the Eurodam.  Maybe many are on vacation from the virus too?  We can only hope that no one comes down with coronavirus during this cruise.

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

Adam, my DH and I are on the circle Hawaii starting on the 18th. I’m so excited I’m living vicariously thru everyone on the ship now. DH rather be surprised while on board. My motto is the more you know the better. I hope we get a little rough seas, the rocking helps with my neuropathy and is why I find cruising so relaxing, the ship rocks for me so I can keep still a little better on the ship. Keep the updates coming. I hope you’re time is amazing! 

We are on the April 15th sailing out of Seattle and are following this thread with interest. We are thrilled that Kainoa is on board. When we did this itinerary on the Zaandam in 2009, we loved his presentations! 

Thanks to OP for sharing experiences!

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 1:17 PM, oaktreerb said:

Kainoa is a well liked Hawaiian locations personality.  Is he onboard?  

His name is Keoni, he’s from Maui as are 2 of the 3 ladies on his team, and they were also on Noordam last fall with us as well.  They really do a great job imparting the Aloha Spirit onboard.  🏝🌺🍍

On 3/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, luvteaching said:

Really looking forward to this. We're on the April 15th cruise out of Seattle.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, cruisealaska8 said:

We look forward to following you.  We are on the April 15th sailing out of Seattle.

Cheers

We are also sailing on 4-15 and I’m enjoying theses updates.

Would anyone like to share what clothes they packed for this trip?  We've never cruised this long or in such different climates. 

I am always cold on the ship so still wearing the warmer clothes, long pants, long sleeves, and sweater etc. along with me.  Temperatures are to be in the 70's for us in Hawaii, maybe low 80's.  Of course, in April and May it will be warmer.  

Off to breakfast now, then coffee with the Dutch Tenors!

More later...........

• Like 1