Has anyone been denied boarding?

Rob-Bob

With the new Corona policies in place has anyone been denied boarding or seen anyone denied boarding due to a fever, coughing, sneezing, etc?  What happens? Does MSC refund your money if denied?  Your luggage has already been taken by the porters, is it time consuming for them to get it back to you?

is there anyone with first hand knowledge?  There is no possible way on a ship of 4,500 passengers that no one shows up with the sniffles, cough or fever.  Impossible.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

With the new Corona policies in place has anyone been denied boarding or seen anyone denied boarding due to a fever, coughing, sneezing, etc?  What happens? Does MSC refund your money if denied?  Your luggage has already been taken by the porters, is it time consuming for them to get it back to you?

is there anyone with first hand knowledge?  There is no possible way on a ship of 4,500 passengers that no one shows up with the sniffles, cough or fever.  Impossible.

I have to pay a balance today for a cruise to northern europe in may and i am based in the UK.

MSC told me that if embarkation temperature checks are failed then there will be no refund given. I asked what happens to ourselves as passengers and they simply did not have a statement for that which i thought was horrific.

The lady i spoke to went running around asking her colleagues and said we would be quarantined on the boat. Nothing in writing though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

There are several threads going on and recent SS guest reports 300 Italians denied.

3 minutes ago, WH_Cruise said:

I have to pay a balance today for a cruise to northern europe in may and i am based in the UK.

MSC told me that if embarkation temperature checks are failed then there will be no refund given. I asked what happens to ourselves as passengers and they simply did not have a statement for that which i thought was horrific.

The lady i spoke to went running around asking her colleagues and said we would be quarantined on the boat. Nothing in writing though.

I've been out of touch past few days but asked question about refunds.  If they deny you due to temp then they need to refund you.  No way they know real reason for high temp.

If that is how they are operating you are going to see people bail before final payment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I've been out of touch past few days but asked question about refunds.  If they deny you due to temp then they need to refund you.  No way they know real reason for high temp.

If that is how they are operating you are going to see people bail before final payment.

This is one of many statements that appear almost daily on their website:

MSC Cruises has conducted and continues to conduct pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to exclude persons who may be at risk, and passengers with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied embarkation. The same rules apply to their travel companions and will also result in a denial of boarding;

The list of places that apply to guests being denied boarding also grows each day. Started off with China and now covers HK, Macau, Iran, South Korea and pretty much all of northern europe. By the end of this week i expect this list to double given the number of infections occuring where an individual has come into contact with an infected person in their own country.

I'd want a clear answer what happen IF denied boarding.  They have a policy in place already I am sure for other illnesses.  I'd assume a refund is in order but they should say, otherwise people will NOT self report illness if they think they will be out thousands of dollars.

3 minutes ago, resistk said:

I'd want a clear answer what happen IF denied boarding.  They have a policy in place already I am sure for other illnesses.  I'd assume a refund is in order but they should say, otherwise people will NOT self report illness if they think they will be out thousands of dollars.

While I agree with you an all points, I doubt we will see a clear policy any time soon.  Things are changing one a more than day by day basis and there really is no modern day precedent for something like this.  What happens to passengers denied today, may be completely different from passengers denied in two weeks.  I will say that when things of this nature seem to happen, its those that are first affected that make out the best.  As companies begin to lose more and more money, they are typically less generous with what they voluntarily give.  So those that are denied today are likely in better standing than those denied a month from now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aprilF said:

While I agree with you an all points, I doubt we will see a clear policy any time soon.  Things are changing one a more than day by day basis and there really is no modern day precedent for something like this.  What happens to passengers denied today, may be completely different from passengers denied in two weeks.  I will say that when things of this nature seem to happen, its those that are first affected that make out the best.  As companies begin to lose more and more money, they are typically less generous with what they voluntarily give.  So those that are denied today are likely in better standing than those denied a month from now.

Then they are endangering everyone's health as a common carrier by creating an incentive for passengers to lie.  This is not a normal situation but an emerging epidemic, safety and health come first, not corporate profits.  A common carrier has a responsibility to ensure passenger safety over profits.

Edited by resistk

16 minutes ago, resistk said:

Then they are endangering everyone's health as a common carrier by creating an incentive for passengers to lie.  This is not a normal situation but an emerging epidemic, safety and health come first, not corporate profits.  A common carrier has a responsibility to ensure passenger safety over profits.

To be fair they are performing thermal temperature checks so you wont really have a choice of concealing any illnesses. if you are above 38 you aint getting on.

1 minute ago, WH_Cruise said:

To be fair they are performing thermal temperature checks so you wont really have a choice of concealing any illnesses. if you are above 38 you aint getting on.

Thermal scan won't reveal someone's travel history or if they have been in contact with someone sick or other symptoms, just temperature?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, resistk said:

Thermal scan won't reveal someone's travel history or if they have been in contact with someone sick or other symptoms, just temperature?

Tbf that is true and your temperature can be artifically lowered with 2 paracetamol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WH_Cruise said:

This is one of many statements that appear almost daily on their website:

MSC Cruises has conducted and continues to conduct pre-boarding screening by thermal cameras to exclude persons who may be at risk, and passengers with signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥38 C°/100.4 F°) or feverishness, chills, cough or difficulty breathing will be denied embarkation. The same rules apply to their travel companions and will also result in a denial of boarding;

The list of places that apply to guests being denied boarding also grows each day. Started off with China and now covers HK, Macau, Iran, South Korea and pretty much all of northern europe. By the end of this week i expect this list to double given the number of infections occuring where an individual has come into contact with an infected person in their own country.

MSC website does not mention Northern Europe at all, only the specific towns in Northern Italy for denied boarding although some lines like celebrity mention enhanced checks for all coming from Italy.

• Like 1

No it was P&O, they were questioned by someone prior to boarding who was across a counter and not wearing a mask. My friends queried this and he was from the ship so if they had any virus he could pass it on to the ship.

They are pursuing refund/ insurance claims

8 hours ago, WH_Cruise said:

WH ... If you are denied boarding you cannot be quarantined on the ship.

7 minutes ago, sidari said:

WH ... If you are denied boarding you cannot be quarantined on the ship.

What do they do just leave you there by the dock side and sail off into the sunset with your luggage still onboard?

The level of poor exposure that will give them is absolutely insane.

I agree, but I am sure I read recently that they will refund the cruise cost, in effect no different from denying boarding to Italian citizens basically for being Italian and from just one country with an outbreak.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

I agree, but I am sure I read recently that they will refund the cruise cost, in effect no different from denying boarding to Italian citizens basically for being Italian and from just one country with an outbreak.

Who knows, when speaking to them by phone earlier (whilst really friendly, helpful and clearly stressed out) they said their would be no refunds in the event of being denied boarding.

Time will tell as this is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. 

• Like 1

My final payment is due on the 12th for a June cruise and agonizing over whether we should cancel the whole thing. Don’t want to be quarantined on a ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10 minutes ago, LaFrimaire said:

My final payment is due on the 12th for a June cruise and agonizing over whether we should cancel the whole thing. Don’t want to be quarantined on a ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all the restrictions being put into place as to who can board ships right now it does drastically decrease chances of getting the virus while cruising and being quarantined. Of course there is always the chance that someone could have the virus but not a fever when boarding and then show symptoms mid-cruise. The only positive to this is I don't think we've seen any reports of the virus on any cruise ships for a couple weeks now (or have I missed something?) and ships are still actively sailing except in Asia.

Everyone has to do what they think is best for them though.

• Like 2

I mentioned this in another post but again

Now reported on the MSC Uk passengers Facebook page that all Italian passport holders will be denied boarding on all Caribbean cruises due to measures introduced by the Caribbean islands, they will be given full refund plus 20% Future cruise discount.

RCCL are banning Italians along with Chinese etc from all cruises.

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I mentioned this in another post but again

Now reported on the MSC Uk passengers Facebook page that all Italian passport holders will be denied boarding on all Caribbean cruises due to measures introduced by the Caribbean islands, they will be given full refund plus 20% Future cruise discount.

RCCL are banning Italians along with Chinese etc from all cruises.

When does this all come to a head though? I mean the virus is now spreading pretty quickly through the US, some cases having no known origin. Will the cruise lines start banning all countries with the virus?  I am beginning to wonder how big of an impact this is going to have on the cruise industry.