Where to get a whisky/bourbon based drink?

cruiserj12

We are sailing on the Edge next week and I started looking at the cocktail menus for the bars and none of them seem to feature any cocktails with whiskey or bourbon as the base spirit. Last time we cruised on a large ship with Celebrity, we cruised on the Equinox in 12/17 and they had a great bar (Molecule?) by the art and watch shops. They had amazing cocktails. Does anyone know of an alternative or at least a bar that can make a decent Manhattan? Thanks for your help! 

3 minutes ago, cruiserj12 said:

We are sailing on the Edge next week and I started looking at the cocktail menus for the bars and none of them seem to feature any cocktails with whiskey or bourbon as the base spirit. Last time we cruised on a large ship with Celebrity, we cruised on the Equinox in 12/17 and they had a great bar (Molecule?) by the art and watch shops. They had amazing cocktails. Does anyone know of an alternative or at least a bar that can make a decent Manhattan? Thanks for your help! 

Don't know about Edge, but all of the X cruises I have been on the past few years didn't carry any of the better brands like Blantons or Bookers.    What do you normally drink?

No. 

The World Class Bar had some,  Not sure who has them now. 

The martini bar will probably shake your Manhattan...

if you want a real Manhattan, with rye, a real sweet Vermouth, and a real maraschino cherry (NOT a food died candy cherry), I suspect you’re out of luck. 

Sorry. Manhattan snob!

I'm normally a Maker's guy, but can branch out. Blanton's is fantastic neat. I'll just need a decent Manhattan somewhere or I'll go insane. None of the menus really feature bourbon or whiskey drinks. Most I see are rum vodka forward drinks. I know I can order standards, but I'd like to see at least one bar/lounge not focused on fruity/sweet drinks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markeb said:

No. 

if you want a real Manhattan, with rye, a real sweet Vermouth, and a real maraschino cherry (NOT a food died candy cherry), I suspect you’re out of luck. 

Sorry. Manhattan snob!

I'll own that title! LOL. But you must share some of my taste, you know not to shake it!

9 minutes ago, cruiserj12 said:

I'm normally a Maker's guy, but can branch out. Blanton's is fantastic neat. I'll just need a decent Manhattan somewhere or I'll go insane. None of the menus really feature bourbon or whiskey drinks. Most I see are rum vodka forward drinks. I know I can order standards, but I'd like to see at least one bar/lounge not focused on fruity/sweet drinks.

I drink Manhattan's -  they probably used Maker's. I think they might also have had Knob Creek. Funny thing is one night they had a bourbon tasking event and nothing really worthwhile to have a real tasting with.  I asked about Bookers - my favorite - and was told the proof was too high to have on the ship.  Never heard that one before.

Edited by mek

4 minutes ago, mek said:

I drink Manhattan's -  they probably used Maker's. I think they might also have had Knob Creek. Funny thing is one night they had a bourbon tasking event and nothing really worthwhile to have a real tasting with.  I asked about Bookers - my favorite - and was told the proof was too high to have on the ship.  Never heard that one before.

What proof is Bookers?

12 minutes ago, markeb said:

No. 

Sorry. Manhattan snob!

I've never had a Manhattan with Rye - I generally use Bookers.  Now you have me in the mood, so I think I'll go out tomorrow and buy some - what do you recommend?

We had Manhattans on the Edge in December at the Martini Bar.  I'm pretty sure they were Maker's.  Don't recall what kind of cherry they served.  I had both rocks and shaken/straight up.  I think we also had Manhattans at the Eden bar as well.

4 minutes ago, mek said:

I've never had a Manhattan with Rye - I generally use Bookers.  Now you have me in the mood, so I think I'll go out tomorrow and buy some - what do you recommend?

Honestly, Bulleit works fine and isn't that expensive.

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Honestly, Bulleit works fine and isn't that expensive.

I'll get some and try it and see how it compares to straight bourbon.  

Just looked it up - do you buy the small batch?

Just the regular. The trick is a good vermouth, if you can find it Doolins, or ideally Carpano Antica Formula, which will set you back about 3-4X the cost of a "well" vermouth. And Luxardo Cherries...

49 minutes ago, cruiserj12 said:

I'll own that title! LOL. But you must share some of my taste, you know not to shake it!

Just to be clear, you will NOT find this on the ship...

Manhattan Picture IMG_0068.jpg

There are two questions that will make me move to a different bar as soon as practical. Ship or shore.

What bourbon for a Manhattan? (Although I'll tolerate bourbon at a hotel bar because there's probably no real choice.)

and

What vodka? When I ordered a dry martini. That's an unforgivable sin...

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Just to be clear, you will NOT find this on the ship...

Manhattan Picture IMG_0068.jpg

This is the set up! If you can find Cocchi Vermouth, that is another good option. Knob Creek also has a Rye that is good, but Bulleit is my go to as well. I still prefer Makers in my Manhattan even though it is supposed to be Rye, technically.

13 hours ago, mek said:

Haven't been on Edge but I haven't yet seen Knob on any Royal or Celebrity ship. Sailing Edge at the end of the month so it would be a nice surprise.

2 hours ago, cruiserj12 said:

This is the set up! If you can find Cocchi Vermouth, that is another good option. Knob Creek also has a Rye that is good, but Bulleit is my go to as well. I still prefer Makers in my Manhattan even though it is supposed to be Rye, technically.

I find Knob Creek Rye to be a better sipping rye than mixing rye, but that may just be me.

All time favorite Manhattan is a twist on the recipe at Le Bernardin in New York. They call it the 51st Street Manhattan (restaurant is on 51st Street, in Manhattan). Don't know the proportions, but the it's Michter’s Rye, Montanaro Dry Vermouth, Amaro Lucano, Bénédictine, and Angostura Bitters. Delicious. Priced as you'd expect in a Michelin 3-Star restaurant in NYC...

17 hours ago, markeb said:

Just the regular. The trick is a good vermouth, if you can find it Doolins, or ideally Carpano Antica Formula, which will set you back about 3-4X the cost of a "well" vermouth. And Luxardo Cherries...

When I made the Bulliet infusion from the World Class Bar I used the recipe from their menu and it called for Carpano Antica so I believe they might have it there.

Edited by riredsox

19 hours ago, cruiserj12 said:

Makers or Jim Beam are ok Manhattan bourbons but the premium package has Woodford. The Edge had bourbon specialty drinks featuring bourbon. 

FYI to a poster above...Manhattans are stirred never shaken. They would be watered down and basically undrinkable.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, Floater4life said:

Makers or Jim Beam are ok Manhattan bourbons but the premium package has Woodford. The Edge had bourbon specialty drinks featuring bourbon. 

FYI to a poster above...Manhattans are stirred never shaken. They would be watered down and basically undrinkable.

Well, I drink mine on the rocks but I use Bookers which is strong enough to stand a little water.  I like really cold drinks.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:17 PM, riredsox said:

When I made the Bulliet infusion from the World Class Bar I used the recipe from their menu and it called for Carpano Antica so I believe they might have it there.

In my experience... I have had drinks with Carpano at WC and Infusion bar. If you just walk up and order a Manhattan, they will probably tell you they only make craft cocktails from their menu and suggest you go to Martini Bar. If you engage a bit, discuss different vermouths/whiskeys, and they realize you want the “mixology” version you can get a great drink. They will make sazeracs, aviations, other great classic cocktails that are “off menu” if you’re nice about it. They won’t make a vodka tonic.