Bringing valuables on beach excursions

Jpr99

Hello All! 

We just went on out 8th cruise on NCL. Now that my kid is older and really likes the beach/snorkel excursions. I'd like to do this with my wife and kid. Problem is my wife really worries about leaving our stuff unattended. So one goes in the water and the other stays with the stuff.

Some places do have "security" walking the beach. We typically bring some spending cash, a CC and our phone more for picture taking and of course our cruise card. Cash and Card I can put in a zip loc bag and in my pocket. The real concern is our phone. 

I read some use a KYSS bag and I some other security type bags. Looking for recommendations on what all you cruisers do. 

Thanks

John

I've used a YOSH waterproof case/bag for my iPhone and it worked great. They sell various different brands on Amazon just search. There's room inside for a little cash and credit card as well. You wear it around neck like lanyard. I just tucked it in my snorkel vest.

• Like 1

This is what we use. We find something to lock it to (normally a chair) an then just cover it up with a towel. If someone really wants to steal it not much you can do but at least this gives us a bit of security and makes it more difficult for them .

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Indoor-Outdoor-Combination/dp/B017ROYKWK

2 hours ago, Jpr99 said:

Hello All! 

We just went on out 8th cruise on NCL. Now that my kid is older and really likes the beach/snorkel excursions. I'd like to do this with my wife and kid. Problem is my wife really worries about leaving our stuff unattended. So one goes in the water and the other stays with the stuff.

Some places do have "security" walking the beach. We typically bring some spending cash, a CC and our phone more for picture taking and of course our cruise card. Cash and Card I can put in a zip loc bag and in my pocket. The real concern is our phone. 

I read some use a KYSS bag and I some other security type bags. Looking for recommendations on what all you cruisers do. 

Thanks

John

Get a waterproof camera and leave the phone on the ship.

When my hubby and I cruise, it's a tech-free week.  No phones, no iPads, nothing.  We put our phones in the safe once we leave port and we don't get them back out until we arrive back to the US.  Yes, we have a daughter, but she never wanted to cruise and I knew my parents would take very good care of her while on our "mom and dad time" vaca.  

If taking your phone for pics, I agree with a waterproof camera.  That's what we have and love it.  Honestly, I can't imagine not being in the water and enjoying that time with my hubby. 

I do the same thing on vacation as I do at the beaches at home - not worry about it too much. I don't bring more than necessary, try not take it out where one can see it more than necessary, and I usually put anything at the bottom of the bag, with stuff on top of it in the bag and then usually shove it under my chair or put my shoes over it. Essentially where someone would have to go digging to get it. 

All the safe stuff might help, but I also think it's a big "lookie here I have something valuable enough for you to steal figure out a way to take me" sign that's counter intuitive to what you're trying to do. 

5 hours ago, kuku77254 said:

I've used a YOSH waterproof case/bag for my iPhone and it worked great. They sell various different brands on Amazon just search. There's room inside for a little cash and credit card as well. You wear it around neck like lanyard. I just tucked it in my snorkel vest.

I use a similar waterproof phone case and it works great.  Can even take underwater photos with your phone.  And I prefer all my photos in one spot these days, so a separate underwater camera doesn't fit that bill.

We have a KYSS bag and we love it.  Another poster commented that if someone really wants to take something, they will.  I feel like my bag is obviously chained and locked so that "should" make my bag look like more of a hassle to steal than another one. 

We use the bag more than I thought I ever would.  For example, I was flying alone so I was able to lock the zipper top on the bag while I slept or went to the restroom.  The one downside is that it is canvas, so it is not waterproof and it not as easy to clean.  As tacky as it sounds, I keep a kitchen trash bag in a ziploc bag inside the bag. When we have to sit bag on the floor or in the sand, I whip out the trash bag and put the KYSS bag inside.  I know, not so attractive,   but it helps keep it clean and a bit less germier.  It is not machine washable but you can hand wash if you are careful.  Good luck~

• Like 1

We always carry 1 backpack that can fit all our stuff. Usually its very easy to spot people from the cruise due to the towels.

Usually we just ask any if we can leave our backpack with them for a bit while we go to the water.

Never been and issue and never lost anything!

I was concerned about this as well when we did a Bermuda cruise and ventured to a far away beach to snorkel but needed a lot of cash for taxis and food along the way.  We ordered a waterproof almost like fanny pack thing to put on when snorkeling off Amazon.  It had an adjustable waist strap.  It wasn't the most comfortable thing but I sure felt better having our cash and credit card on us vs sitting on the beach.  

We also usually don't bring our phone on excursions, do waterproof digital camera.  But we needed the phone that day since we were all on our own and wanted the safety incase we had to pull up maps.  The phone went into the waterproof fanny pack thing.