Mex. Riviera Itinerary

RTR 21-0

We are playing the watch & see game until 3/31 before making a decision on our 4/25 Panorama sailing.   I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but will ask anyway..... if we are denied entry to Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallerta, there are no other ports on that route to stop at, correct?  The itinerary was the main reason we chose this ship as we’ve done the Caribbean so often.   Seven days at sea would be a nice relief from work but not the reason we’re really going.  🙄

I doubt all three ports would be closed, but they would probably go to Ensenada in that case, while it is not unprecedented, going north would create a logistical mess.  Enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mr. godfredo said:

The only option for a seven night would Ensenada, Catalina, and/or heading north on a California Coastal if Mexican Riviera ports are closed. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I doubt all three ports would be closed, but they would probably go to Ensenada in that case, while it is not unprecedented, going north would create a logistical mess.  Enjoy your cruise.  

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

there are other MX ports aren't there? I know we stopped at Huatulco (sp) & 1 other MX port, can't remember the name after leaving the Panama Canal on our way to San Diego.  This was a HAL cruise.

There are other ports, but if Carnival doesn't have a contract, I'm not sure if they can dock there.

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

there are other MX ports aren't there? I know we stopped at Huatulco (sp) & 1 other MX port, can't remember the name after leaving the Panama Canal on our way to San Diego.  This was a HAL cruise.

I may be wrong but I believe that port is to far south to be reached on a 7 day cruise. 

27 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

I may be wrong but I believe that port is to far south to be reached on a 7 day cruise. 

On our cruise last month we departed San Diego on Saturday and didn’t reach Huatulco until Wednesday do I agree it would be too far for a 7 night cruise. 

There are plenty of ports that are a little farther south besides the major 4 ports Carnival uses. but i dont think you will dock there, because of a few reason, security for one, Another is time, plus Port Authority permissions and staffing.

I have been to all of these port and on  Carnival cruises. I wish they would start docking there again.

They are 

Acapulco

Manzanillo

La Paz

Iztapa /Zihuatanejo

also  Huatulco 

They stop these cruises after the Cartels reared there ugly heads .

5 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

if we are denied entry to Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallerta, there are no other ports on that route to stop at, correct? 

When Carnival offered 8 and 9 day Mexican Riviera cruises from San Diego other ports included La Paz, Manzanillo, and Zihuatanejo along with Ensenada, Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. 

Woodey - You posted as I was typing 😉 

Edited by sanmarcosman

6 hours ago, mr. godfredo said:

The only option for a seven night would Ensenada, Catalina, and/or heading north on a California Coastal if Mexican Riviera ports are closed. 

45 minutes ago, woodey said:

There are plenty of ports that are a little farther south besides the major 4 ports Carnival uses. but i dont think you will dock there, because of a few reason, security for one, Another is time, plus Port Authority permissions and staffing.

I have been to all of these port and on  Carnival cruises. I wish they would start docking there again.

They are 

Acapulco

Manzanillo

La Paz

Iztapa /Zihuatanejo

also  Huatulco 

Going north the next possible stop would be Santa Barbara, and the authorities here are, of course, very nervous about cruise ships.  I think what you should be most concerned about are problems getting back into California as experienced by the last cruise on the Panorama.  It is common to have to bypass one of the Mexican Riviera ports, but not all three.  The Panorama will be doing the same weekly itinerary into next year(and other lines as well), so there will be an opportunity to reschedule when this situation hopefully settles down.  And also San Diego is a another possible port going south.

I had a friend scheduled on a 7 day mex riviera from SD, due to hurricane they were rerouted 2 days before cruise. Became a north cruise. Knowing the ships have to stop in 1 non U.S port I can't remember where they went. Maybe Ensenada, then on to west coast ports.

Carnival Spirit used to do an 8 day run out of San Diego that would include Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo. We did that cruise twice (in 2006 & 2009). Spirit class ships were faster than most and could cover that distance in 8 days. It's possible that Panorama could reach Manzanillo AND Ixtapa on a 7 day run. No way it could do all 3 ports and it might only be able to reach Manzanillo OR Ixtapa because of the distance involved and return to L.A.

As far as permission goes, it would depend upon how the Mexican government controls access. If they do it on a National Level, then one port closed could possibly mean all ports closed. If they left it up to the Governors of the various Mexican States then things could be different. Cabo is part of Baja California Sur, Mazatlan is part of Sinaloa, Puerto Vallarta is part of Jalisco but the northern edge of the Bay of Banderas (aka Nuevo Vallarta) is part of Nayarit. So 3 different States with 3 different State Governments. Any tour/excursion that would include travel to Nuevo Vallarta, Punta Mita or Sayulita would then involve a 4th State Government.

Sea days are nice. I did 5 Western Pacific cruises traveling as far as west as Mombassa, Kenya and as far south as Hobart, Tasmania plus one Around the World cruise starting in San Diego and ending in Philadelphia courtesy of the U. S. Navy. Those were 6 months long (one was actually 10 months) and we got LOTS of sea days. Accommodations on an aircraft carrier weren't quite as luxurious but the food was fairly good. Didn't starve anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:20 AM, woodey said:

They are 

Acapulco

Manzanillo

La Paz

Iztapa /Zihuatanejo

also  Huatulco 

There was another one we stopped at after the Canal, I just can't remember the name.  Distance- I do not recall, but enjoyed the stops.