State Dept urging people not to cruise

beloum

6 minutes ago, Sillyjilly said:

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of balconies. It's either too hot or too cold and I get very little use out of it.

When the sun beats down my cabin gets unbearably hot, even with the curtains closed. I don't have hot flashes any more.............I AM a walking hot flash. LOL

Been there, done that! It will get better.

16 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

Been there, done that! It will get better.

Been having them for the last 30 years. Chemo sent me into menopause in my 30"s.

The good news is I rarely get cold any more.

I kinda like wearing shorts in Alaska. 🙂

• Like 1

Today, the tourism agency in West Palm Beach, Florida is encouraging people to visit Florida and enjoy the theme parks, beaches, historical sites, etc. 

I have a cruise booked on the 25th of April on the Magic sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and definitely are planning to go.  I am 80 years old and am not concerned about the coronavirus.  I came into contact today with hundreds of people just shopping at Wally World, Tarjay, Dunkin, Publix Supermarket, and CVS and will continue to come in contact with hundreds of people every time I venture out to shop, visit my dentist, doctors, etc.  I know it does not compare to being in close quarters with thousands of people on a cruise ship but as more people cancel maybe I'll finally be able to find a lounge chair on the Serenity Deck.

Thank you Carnival for the $200 OBC, I foresee many dirty martinis in my future.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, tattoos said:

Today, the tourism agency in West Palm Beach, Florida is encouraging people to visit Florida and enjoy the theme parks, beaches, historical sites, etc. 

I have a cruise booked on the 25th of April on the Magic sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and definitely are planning to go.  I am 80 years old and am not concerned about the coronavirus.  I came into contact today with hundreds of people just shopping at Wally World, Tarjay, Dunkin, Publix Supermarket, and CVS and will continue to come in contact with hundreds of people every time I venture out to shop, visit my dentist, doctors, etc.  I know it does not compare to being in close quarters with thousands of people on a cruise ship but as more people cancel maybe I'll finally be able to find a lounge chair on the Serenity Deck.

Thank you Carnival for the $200 OBC, I foresee many dirty martinis in my future.

I LIKE the way you think tattoos! I'm 72 and wife is 70 and we still plan on going on our Freedom cruise in mid September. Keep the faith! 👌

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RenoNanaOz said:

We are on The Panorama in May and have no plans to cancel. It's the Flu. If they announced last year every time someone got the flu or died from the flu it would not be any different than this.

Please cruise all you like. Odds are you’ll be fine. But please be clear, it’s not the flu and it’s not caused by an influenza virus. This is a whole other beast. 

• Like 1

I'm not worried about sickness, I'm worried about being quarantined and unable to return to work for weeks at a time. I would have to take unpaid leave for all of that extra time and I have bills to pay, a pet sitter to pay, etc. If I were retired it would be no big deal.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, marshalltp said:

I think that Carnival and other lines

ought to step up and do the right thing for their passengers,

that being to allow cancellation with full refund (instead of FCC). 

A Barbadian friend of mine

who was all booked and paid up to cruise on Fascination on Friday 6th -just gone

got a deal from Carnival whereby his booking is still good for one year

when this all subsides, and he feels safe to cruise again

in these Southern Caribbean islands. It's on hold.

I'm not sure who approached who re. working this out.

South Carib itin-NEW.png

57352948_2230035700427166_4538263539617366016_o.jpg

Fascination-858A.jpg

I can understand that people want their money back and not FCC - but these companies simply cannot afford to give back all that money at this time as their cash flow depends on bookings 1-2 years out and most peoples money is long gone by the time of sailing. Additionally, they want you back, which you will be forced to do with the credit -  most people will go back when this passes and they survive the "illness" 

This too shall pass....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

I'm not worried about sickness, I'm worried about being quarantined and unable to return to work for weeks at a time. I would have to take unpaid leave for all of that extra time and I have bills to pay, a pet sitter to pay, etc. If I were retired it would be no big deal.

This really is the big issue. We just returned from the Magic yesterday. At least 2 dozen people on our roll call have been told by work not to return for 2 weeks. There’s also a family who’s town is rallying on social media to quarantine them at home once they return tomorrow. Craziness!

54 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

This really is the big issue. We just returned from the Magic yesterday. At least 2 dozen people on our roll call have been told by work not to return for 2 weeks. There’s also a family who’s town is rallying on social media to quarantine them at home once they return tomorrow. Craziness!

Interesting. The people at my work don’t know where I was last week. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I sure hope that work is going to be paying them and not penalizing them in any way if they are going to unofficially keep them away.

9 hours ago, avalon124 said:

We're scheduled to sail out of NO April 25th on a 5 day and really don't want to cancel.  We also don't want to be held hostage if they decide on mandatory quarantine.   

This is exactly how I feel.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rin1 said:

I sure hope that work is going to be paying them and not penalizing them in any way if they are going to unofficially keep them away.

While I understand what you are saying, as employees, you make the choice to go. You can't hold companies responsible to pay people who are willingly taking cruises knowing the possibility. 

8 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

While I understand what you are saying, as employees, you make the choice to go. You can't hold companies responsible to pay people who are willingly taking cruises knowing the possibility. 

This is true, but only if the policy was in place before the employee traveled. If the employee was unaware they would be required to quarantine, they could not weigh that in their decision prior to leaving.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I do agree with you. My husband does not have the sick or vacation time to cover a 14-day quarantine. He knows this but he is still choosing to cruise. He can't blame the company for not paying him if he is quarantined. 

He will not consider canceling our Alaskan cruise because we cannot take it next year because we already have a 12-day cruise booked on MSC for the Caribbean.

We would either have to cancel the Alaskan cruise or take a FCC and book a Caribbean cruise next year late 2021. 

12 hours ago, rin1 said:

It’s been mixed. Some are temporarily “laid off”. Others have to use PTO or medical leave. 

We're cruising mid-July out of Miami and are still planning to go.  My parents are retired in their 60s and my husband and I are in our 40s.  We also have a four-year old daughter.  I am a teacher, so I am off til August.  My husband can work remotely, if need be.  We are pretty fortunate.  Hopefully, things will be a but calmer by the summer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BeachDiva101 said:

That's what I thought, I have been looking for something for the last 2 weeks of April and the prices do NOT reflect what has been going on the last few weeks with this flu.  I'm gonna keep looking though.

I wonder if the risk of cruise cancellation (on their part) is keeping rates higher? this is complicated math for them, right?

38 minutes ago, gratamama said:

I wonder if the risk of cruise cancellation (on their part) is keeping rates higher? this is complicated math for them, right?

I tend to agree. Lowering the price might not bring more cruisers. Keep the price the same or maybe will need to increase to make up the difference.