*****CARNIVAL CANCELLATIONS THREAD-- Please read*****

krusso80

Hi:

I was hoping someone could help me understand this. I have booked a super saver fare with a deposit of 375. My final payment date is Mar.15, sail date June 13.I have already paid 2000 dollars in addition to the 375 towards the cruise. I understand if i  cancel between today and Mar.15 I loose the 375 but get the 2000 back. What i'm not sure of is if i pay the final payment amount today for a trip total of 3375 dollars and cancel  before Apr.16(56 days out) what is the penalty? Carnival says it would be the standard deposit amount. does this mean i would loose the 375 deposit plus another 375 off of the rest? Would the refund be 2,625 then? Or do I only loose the 375 from the initial deposit but get the whole 3000 back as long as i'm less than 55 days out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I believe you would lose your standard deposit.  The reason for that wording is that some fares have reduced deposits.  If your deposit ($375) is the standard deposit for the cruise that is what you would lose.  If it was a reduced deposit than you need to find what the standard deposit is for the length and type cruise you booked.  That will be you loss.  You do not add penalties together. 

Please post ALL questions about cancelling, rebooking etc on this thread! The board is getting over run with new threads on this and it's a very relevant issue. Keeping relevant posts here will help everyone.

Non-cancellation posts will be removed. Also ones not related to Carnival.

Thank you!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

We had to cancel my mother in law. She got her deposit as a FCC and the rest was refunded to her credit card.

Was she after final payment? We are set to sail Mar. 28. Still weighing risk, but how do I figure what amount is returned and what is fcc and what we are not getting back at all?

3 minutes ago, bahacca said:

My deposit was $1000. If we cancel and get fcc, we eat the $1000, right?

When is your cruise sailing? If it is before May 31st you qualify for the new cancellation policy. If you cancel before March 31st the $1000 deposit will be credited as FCC to your account and all other payments will be refunded to you. 

If your cruise is beyond May 31st you would lose the $1000 deposit and the balance will be refunded. Check the cancellation policy for your cruise. Even though final payment is due 90 days out for 7 day cruises the cancellation penalty remains the non refundable deposit amount until you hit 55 days out. 

Sail date is March 31. So I wouldn't lose anything. Just have fcc. Ok. I am reading I have to use that for a category equal or above to what was booked. Is this true? (I never received the letter, so no idea of the fine print) Also, we had a 7 day. Do I have to use it for a 7 day cruise, or can I use it for a shorter cruise?

We were booked and fully paid for a 5/25/20 sailing and decided to move to a later June sailing without penalty.  However, even though it was the same amount of days, same cabin category and same ports on a different ship, there was a difference of almost $500 more per person due Carnival (cabin price, port taxes, insurance)🤑!  Not too happy with this, but we were not comfortable sailing in May since both of us are seniors with one of us having an underlying health condition.  We "gained" a $50 OBC for the sailing which has nothing to do with the change.

Hoping that our cabin pricing goes down a bit.

MARAPRINCE

10 minutes ago, bahacca said:

Was she after final payment? We are set to sail Mar. 28. Still weighing risk, but how do I figure what amount is returned and what is fcc and what we are not getting back at all?

Yes. Her cruise was for April 27th. 

Your FCC will be what you paid as deposit. The rest paid is refundable.

My husband and I are trying to decide whether or not we need to cancel our cruise that departs on March 22nd, and would like the facts about how much the cruise industry is being affected by the Coronavirus. We are not worried at all about getting sick, but we are concerned about missing our ports of call or being quarantined for 14 days. It seems as though the media is exaggerating the situation. So, does anyone have hard facts to help me make an educated decision about cruising next week? How many ships have been quarantined? How many ports have not allowed cruises to dock? Are their any ports that have temporarily closed to cruises out of America? If our itinerary is changed, when will we be notified? For those who are cruising now or who cruised last week, was your trip impacted? If so,  how? Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I really don’t want to cancel our trip!

1 minute ago, Maraprince said:

We were booked and fully paid for a 5/25/20 sailing and decided to move to a later June sailing without penalty.  However, even though it was the same amount of days, same cabin category and same ports on a different ship, there was a difference of almost $500 more per person due Carnival (cabin price, port taxes, insurance)🤑!  Not too happy with this, but we were not comfortable sailing in May since both of us are seniors with one of us having an underlying health condition.  We "gained" a $50 OBC for the sailing which has nothing to do with the change.

Hoping that our cabin pricing goes down a bit.

MARAPRINCE

Mine was a little more too, I moved my Vista sailing from April 4th to July 25th. I also gave up an Ocean Suite for the hubby and I but am supper happy we are now up on deck 11. My daughter, SIL and grandson have a standard balcony and we have a spa balcony 6 doors down. I will miss all that room in the Ocean Suite but being up top near the Ocean Club and all the outdoor amenities with the grandson will be worth it. 

Summer prices are higher, it’s why I booked Easter Week instead but really looking forward to our summer cruise now!  

18 minutes ago, estillcrew said:

My husband and I are trying to decide whether or not we need to cancel our cruise that departs on March 22nd, and would like the facts about how much the cruise industry is being affected by the Coronavirus. We are not worried at all about getting sick, but we are concerned about missing our ports of call or being quarantined for 14 days. It seems as though the media is exaggerating the situation. So, does anyone have hard facts to help me make an educated decision about cruising next week? How many ships have been quarantined? How many ports have not allowed cruises to dock? Are their any ports that have temporarily closed to cruises out of America? If our itinerary is changed, when will we be notified? For those who are cruising now or who cruised last week, was your trip impacted? If so,  how? Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I really don’t want to cancel our trip!

It would be best to check with your personal physician about what may be medical facts. Opinions on this forum are all over the place and you will find inaccurate info here just as much as in the media.

I believe that 3 Princess ships have been quarantined total, plus one Carnival ship had an extra day waiting for testing results and embarkation for new passengers was delayed a day. The percentage is low, but the situation may rapidly change. Ports have declined ships on a case by case basis, and sometimes without notice, so that is fluid also.

Edited by amyotravel

And this is the huge dilemma. No one can predict if someone on your ship will come down with "flu like symptoms" which is what puts the ship at risk for delays, missed ports and/or quarantine. 2 ships full quarantine, Panorama was delayed disembark a full day to wait for testing, which cut the next cruise short a day. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/ Here are port closures and ports that have refused entry.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bahacca said:

I used this for an example yesterday on another thread, hope it helps...After final payment/Sail Date was March 22nd. Cruise Rate 1,448.00 Refunded as FCC

Taxes, Fees, Port Expenses and Fuel Supplement* 291.28 Refunded to original form of payment

Total Cruise Charges 1,739.28

OPTIONAL CHARGES Prepaid Gratuities 167.88 Total Optional Charges 167.88 Refunded to original form of payment

My FCC will be the cruise fare only $1448

Refunded to my Credit Card  $ 459.16

I think a lot of people are thinking they are getting ripped off because they aren't getting the taxes/fees as part of the FCC and they think when they are re-booking they are getting charged again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TakeMeAway1001 said:

I used this for an example yesterday on another thread, hope it helps...After final payment/Sail Date was March 22nd. Cruise Rate 1,448.00 Refunded as FCC

Taxes, Fees, Port Expenses and Fuel Supplement* 291.28 Refunded to original form of payment

Total Cruise Charges 1,739.28

OPTIONAL CHARGES Prepaid Gratuities 167.88 Total Optional Charges 167.88 Refunded to original form of payment

My FCC will be the cruise fare only $1448

Refunded to my Credit Card  $ 459.16

I think a lot of people are thinking they are getting ripped off because they aren't getting the taxes/fees as part of the FCC and they think when they are re-booking they are getting charged again. 

This is very helpful!!  Thank you!!

19 minutes ago, estillcrew said:

You really need to make the best decision for you and your family.  There is no guarantee your ship will not be quarantined.  I believe only three have been so far...one in New Jersey, one in China area and the last one in California. 

As for ports, for our cruise, if we don't dock at one, it will be disappointing, but we can still have fun on the ship.

As of right now we are not cancelling our March 28 cruise and really don't think we will at all.  

• Like 1

I cancelled and rebooked on Friday afternoon. I just checked my credit card account and the refunds for the cruise have already been posted to my account, very pleased with that. The extras I pre purchased like cheers and Internet have not posted yet but I am sure they will soon.

Edited by LaRue1975

6 minutes ago, TakeMeAway1001 said:

Mine didn't work out that way, I just responded to "bahacca" above. 

So weird. Going to check wtih DH. I called yesterday and that is what they explained. Thanks for your experience, not to check exactly what we got back

1 hour ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I believe you would lose your standard deposit.  The reason for that wording is that some fares have reduced deposits.  If your deposit ($375) is the standard deposit for the cruise that is what you would lose.  If it was a reduced deposit than you need to find what the standard deposit is for the length and type cruise you booked.  That will be you loss.  You do not add penalties together. 

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. I guess it gives me a little more time to decide what to do.

9 minutes ago, nissach said:

You really need to make the best decision for you and your family.  There is no guarantee your ship will not be quarantined.  I believe only three have been so far...one in New Jersey, one in China area and the last one in California. 

As for ports, for our cruise, if we don't dock at one, it will be disappointing, but we can still have fun on the ship.

As of right now we are not cancelling our March 28 cruise and really don't think we will at all.  

I agree, it is an individual choice. We are not cancelling our May 16th Cruise out of Long Beach. We are very healthy and have ALWAYS taken precautions(didn't need to be told to cough in our sleeve or wash our hands LOL). We also splurged on a Havana Balcony so if we get quarantined at least we have a Balcony 🙂 My Husband is retired and I can work remotely so that is something else we took into consideration.

• Like 1

We just got off the Sensation on Thursday!  There was cleaning done everywhere 24 hours a day!  Hand sanitizers everywhere!  It was a fantastic cruise!  We ported at Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau, fantastic ports and we had a great time!!

• Like 3

We just got off the Magic, and were denied porting at Grand Turk even though there were no suspected or confirmed cases of Coronavirus onboard.   The crew was amazing and handled the situation as well as possible, IMO, and our cruise was wonderful.

We were concerned about what would happen on Sunday in Port Everglades, but we were able to disembark without delay.

Having said that, if our cruise were next week, we would cancel.  I don't have fears about catching anything, but I do have concerns about being quarantined or having disembarkation delayed for testing.  Missing ports is disappointing, but that can happen for a number of reasons, so that wouldn't be a factor for us either.  Although I have a lot of vacation and personal time, DH and DD aren't that fortunate, and they can't risk going two weeks or more without pay.