New requirement if you or somebody you are traveling with is 70 or over

GINNY L

13 minutes ago, Hobbins said:

Use of this form by NCL for people in a higher risk age group indicates they do not have confidence in maintaining a disease free environment. I guess they are OK with healthy people contracting the virus. At least they are trying to help the weaker among us. This will do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of the virus. Only the screening at the port may help but apparently they do not have confidence in that. Perhaps the other cruse lines are a bit smarter than NCL in canceling their cruises and actually preventing any spread at all? I believe NCL may be putting themselves in more legal risk if they do not follow suit.

How many passengers on NCL have contracted the Conoravirus so far?

We are currently on a back to back cruise that started in Buenos Aires. The second leg starts in Santiago on 3/14. My parents are with us and are over 70. 

Any word what they are going to do about someone over 70 that is already on the ship and could not have known they needed a certification letter back on Feb 29 when we boarded?

5 minutes ago, wvacations said:

We are currently on a back to back cruise that started in Buenos Aires. The second leg starts in Santiago on 3/14. My parents are with us and are over 70. 

Any word what they are going to do about someone over 70 that is already on the ship and could not have known they needed a certification letter back on Feb 29 when we boarded?

I called yesterday and they told me that specific voyage is NOT on the list requiring the certificate.

We were supposed to be on it (we were on it from San Antonio to Buenos Aires 2 weeks ago), but decided to cancel for peace of mind (traveling with a 82 year old with several chronic conditions and didn't want to take any chances).

1 minute ago, nikkosan said:

I called yesterday and they told me that specific voyage is NOT on the list requiring the certificate.

We were supposed to be on it (we were on it from San Antonio to Buenos Aires 2 weeks ago), but decided to cancel for peace of mind (traveling with a 82 year old with several chronic conditions and didn't want to take any chances).

Thank you for the info. 

Just now, wvacations said:

Thank you for the info. 

You're very welcome.

It was such a hard decision for us to let it go, but he just can't take any chances, given his situation.

We hope you continue to have a wonderful sailing.

16 hours ago, GINNY L said:

I put this out there for people to know thinking I would be helping some.  I can't help what information they do and don't put in their email.  I would think most people would know that a dentist, a veterinarian, psychologist etc could not signed the paper.  I am a licensed medical person who has a state and national license.  However, I can not sign those types of letters/notes. 

I think you have been very helpful posting this, there are some folks who disagree for the sake of it.

Well done & thank you very much.

evie

Edited by meandmaboy
spelling
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Then I guess they do not have confidence in maintaining a disease free environment or at least they have so far.  

Because people can carry the virus with no symptoms, it is virtually impossible to guarantee a safe environment.

Also we live in a litigious society. I really don't know if NCL or any corporation or government entity is putting measures in place for "CYA" or "protecting society." I suspect somewhere in between. 

Edited by wampuscat7

6 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

Because people can carry the virus with no symptoms, it is virtually impossible to guarantee a safe environment.

Also we live in a litigious society. I really don't know if NCL or any corporation or government entity is putting measures in place for "CYA" or "protecting society." I suspect somewhere in between. 

Yes, because we live in such a litigious society and that was my point as to why I think they want doctor's notes for those seventy and older, which is the age groups that have had the most deaths.  Just one person of that age group dies on a ship or after getting coronavirus onboard an NCL ship....they are going to sue NCL for.  And another poster said they were not confident in maintaining a disease free enviornment and that is why I asked how many cases has been on their ships.

16 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The last place I want to go right now is a doctors office, where there are sick people, perhaps even someone with coronavirus! (No, I’m not 70+, but if I don’t want to go why would the elderly?)

But you want to go on a cruise ship and possibly airplane where there are people from all over the world, and be exposed to who knows what?

As far as disease-free ship, until there is a quick test kit and everyone boarding can be tested, the best screening/safety precautions/cleanliness in the world can’t guarantee an asymptomatic patient won’t get on the ship.  By the time they have symptoms (some never do! Or have very mild ones) the ship is contaminated, no matter how wonderfully clean the crew keep it.

And has anyone ever thought of the risk the CREW is running?  They are exposed to new groups of people regularly, and live in crowded conditions, and handle the most infectious things from pax - dirty dishes, trash with used tissues, toilet cleaning, linens....I hope we all appreciate them properly, with words, hero cards, DSC and if your budget permits, extra tips.  None of those are even enough to properly compensate the crew for the risk they run.  Think about it.

Edited by erdoran
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

What about the so called "healthy people", younger people, who are not examined by a doctor before they are allowed to board?  They are just as likely to transmit the disease.  No penalty to them?  

older ppl can getting easier and when they get it its more deadly 

• Like 1

You have to do the math here.  If 8% of the people from 70 - 79 and almost 15% of people 80 and above die from the virus, they have to look at what capacity the ship has to handle this if they have an outbreak.

It's just good planning.  

If politicl correctness was out the window, this would still be called the Wuhan virus, as has been the tradition in years past. But China had a hissy fit and the media caved.

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
NCL Getaway 3/29/2020
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021
CCL Dream 5/16/2021

i just thought could it be many are upset about this because their dr would not recommend they even go on a cruise in the first place?    Meaning even if there was no virus around are some worried that they arent really fit to sail in the first place, but go anyway ignoring the advice of the medical professional advice? 

54 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

If politicl correctness was out the window, this would still be called the Wuhan virus, as has been the tradition in years past. But China had a hissy fit and the media caved

I guess you never heard of SARS., first reported in 2003.  That wasn't named after a country, region or city.

And the media doesn't pick the name, health officials do.

• Like 2

Can't even get into the dr's office.  I called my dr., and even though I am in excellent health, he said he would not sign the form.  In his honest opinion, he said no  one, regardless of age, should be cruising at this time.  He said signing that "permission" slip was a liability.  

5 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

Can't even get into the dr's office.  I called my dr., and even though I am in excellent health, he said he would not sign the form.  In his honest opinion, he said no  one, regardless of age, should be cruising at this time.  He said signing that "permission" slip was a liability.  

That seems to be the majority of what people are saying.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

That seems to be the majority of what people are saying.

We have several physicians in our circle of friends, and all have gotten in touch with us to tell us NOT to be heroes, and cancel our cruising arrangements. So here we are, "stuck" in Buenos Aires, not even wanting to take a chance on flying the roughly 9 hours to go back home to FL. Luckily, we don't need/have to be there, and Buenos Aires is a wonderful city, so this suits us just fine at the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nikkosan said:

We have several physicians in our circle of friends, and all have gotten in touch with us to tell us NOT to be heroes, and cancel our cruising arrangements. So here we are, "stuck" in Buenos Aires, not even wanting to take a chance on flying the roughly 9 hours to go back home to FL. Luckily, we don't need/have to be there, and Buenos Aires is a wonderful city, so this suits us just fine at the moment.

You are thinking positive about it, which is great.  Have a great time there and be safe.

• Like 1

Never received notification from NCL and we are scheduled to sail in 3 days from LA...(if we get to sail at all.)

I called NCL and operator was surprised that we hadn't gotten an email, so he sent one to me.

Not good communication, NCL!

1 minute ago, go2ri2l said:

Never received notification from NCL and we are scheduled to sail in 3 days from LA...(if we get to sail at all.)

I called NCL and operator was surprised that we hadn't gotten an email, so he sent one to me.

Not good communication, NCL!

Did you check your spam folder?  Some people founded it their spam folder.

6 hours ago, wvacations said:

The letter from a qualified medical person is required on sailings beginning March 16 according to the NCL rep I talked to.

9 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Can you blame NCL.  There is a couple who is suing Princess for a million dollars, because they didn't feel Princess did enough.   The couple allege the cruise line failed to put in place preventive measures, including more rigorous screening for those boarding the ship and an opportunity for people to disembark in Hawaii.  BTW, the couple didn't get the virus.

Now, can you see if someone in their seventies gets it and dies and their family sues NCL saying they should have known that people over seventy have a higher risk of death and shouldn't allow them to cruise.

I don't blame the cruise lines at all.  Just a way to look like they are trying to protect their customers but in reality its protecting them LOL.  It costs them really nothing to do it.  If people really want to go on a cruise they will get the note trust me. 

• Like 1

I read about this new health form earlier today. I wanted to show it to my husband and it is no longer in the travel alert. Have they changed their mind?  I don’t think too many doctors want to sign a form that guarantees people are fit to travel on a cruise. Wouldn’t that leave them open to a suit if the person gets ill?  Does Norwegian want a ship of  70 year olds who were fit to travel when they got on but became ill while onboard?