New requirement if you or somebody you are traveling with is 70 or over

GINNY L

2 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

There was not an attachment.  However, I am in the medical field and when patient have come in to request something in that regards we just hand type one up.  The physician seeing the patient signs it and we stamp our logo on it besides printing it off with all of the company's information.  Make sure that whoever is traveling that the patient's complete name and birth date is on the form that the medical office types off.  However, you can always call Norwegian to see if they have a particular form or what is all the required information that is needed besides

Patient's name,

Patients DOB

Stating patient is good to travel and the dates he/she would be traveling

Make sure the letter has the date the patient was seen in the office

Make sure it is is signed by a physician

Make sure it has a letter head or stamped with name, address, contact  information.

I hope this helps

Since they say "this easy to complete form" one would assume they had a standard form....

But thanks for the info - I'm not 70 but I have an appointment right before my cruise, so I'll get something just in case.

49 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

This smacks of discrimination. Would not be surprised if civil rights lawsuits followed. Seems it would have been better for them to make everyone boarding (all ages) sign a waiver agreeing to accept any risk that may be incurred on health as a result of cruising.

That’s because COVID-19 appears to be extremely discriminatory towards the elderly. Viruses are ageist ya’ll

64443303-CE71-4171-B279-38C70A32A992.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trippen said:

Sounds like a business opportunity - Health certificates for over 70 cruiser - $49.99. two for $89.99

since it doesnt say your pysician, i guess being a former capt. i could fill it out and put my stamp of approval on it for 39.99 bogo 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GINNY L said:

There was not an attachment. 

Thank you. I asked because they referred to an "easy to complete form", which I understood to mean they were providing the form. If they don't provide a standard form, they are going to get a vast variety of letter formats. I hope they don't try to say "but it doesn't specifically say XYZ" and deny boarding based on the judgement of the specific individual who reviews the form at the time of check-in at the port.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

good for them , it is the elderly that contract this easier and spread it. 

Incorrect. The elderly who contract it are at greater risk for complications and death.they don’t contract it easier. If you have a source that says otherwise, Can you share it?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nextcruiseis said:

That advisory is not on their website travel alerts section. Since they are implementing it immediately,  one would think they would post it there when they sent out the the first emails.

Yes! I am a TA and have a couple in their 80’s supposed to travel on the 22nd and I haven’t received a thing!! It isn’t on the websit either. Hmmmm.....

1 hour ago, GINNY L said:

Just received this email from Norwegian

Dear Valued Guest,

To help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew worldwide, effective immediately, all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest's travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage.

If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter.

Thank you, as always, for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Can I ask if you are over 70? I have not received this for my clients.

thanks!

52 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

This smacks of discrimination. Would not be surprised if civil rights lawsuits followed. Seems it would have been better for them to make everyone boarding (all ages) sign a waiver agreeing to accept any risk that may be incurred on health as a result of cruising.

there’s plenty of discrimination by age across all sorts of areas, at least here in Ireland..

my mum is in her 70s so she gets free public transport, free medical card and state pension, but she also has to get a doctor to re-certify her fitness to drive every couple of years. Meanwhile teens and early 20s get thumped with massive car insurance prices and lower social welfare payments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nextcruiseis said:

Thank you. I asked because they referred to an "easy to complete form", which I understood to mean they were providing the form. If they don't provide a standard form, they are going to get a vast variety of letter formats. I hope they don't try to say "but it doesn't specifically say XYZ" and deny boarding based on the judgement of the specific individual who reviews the form at the time of check-in at the port.   

I think that is probably the reason that the Air Tahiti Nui requirement changed - they were originally asking for medical certification that you didn't appear to have anything contagious. But in my opinion, something like that could easily be faked, so they went to a screening process at the airport.  But that is a temperature check, not much more.

3 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

Incorrect. The elderly who contract it are at greater risk for complications and death.they don’t contract it easier. If you have a source that says otherwise, Can you share it?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/older-people-are-at-higher-risk-for-the-coronavirus-cdc-says-to-stock-up-on-food-keep-away-from-others-2020-03-09

People over age 50 are most susceptible to respiratory illnesses and related complications, and the coronavirus is no different,"

deleted my full name and address and reservation number

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

Reservation: 

Date: 03/11/2020

GINNY
US

Dear Valued Guest,

To help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew worldwide, effective immediately, all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest's travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage.

If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter.

Thank you, as always, for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Edited by GINNY L

I put this out there for people to know thinking I would be helping some.  I can't help what information they do and don't put in their email.  I would think most people would know that a dentist, a veterinarian, psychologist etc could not signed the paper.  I am a licensed medical person who has a state and national license.  However, I can not sign those types of letters/notes. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Well who would you get a health certification from? The local butcher?

35 minutes ago, teach/2/cruise said:

But It states..... "This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and ... "

Well, that pretty much disqualifies the butcher.

15 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/older-people-are-at-higher-risk-for-the-coronavirus-cdc-says-to-stock-up-on-food-keep-away-from-others-2020-03-09

People over age 50 are most susceptible to respiratory illnesses and related complications, and the coronavirus is no different,"

OK, thanks. It is kind of expressed in a roundabout way, being more susceptible to respiratory illnesses in general (which makes sense to me), rather than specifically for the coronavirus. That's why I was confused. Have not read a direct correlation, which this hints at.  

• Like 1