New requirement if you or somebody you are traveling with is 70 or over

GINNY L

We are cruising with my 72 yr old mother on Friday. Never received the email. I was on the phone for 45 minutes and it took an act of Congress to get them to send me the form. Absolutely ridiculous. If they are implementing something effective immediately, it needs to be on their website, all social media platforms, and needs to be sent to everyone. It was NOT.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, erdoran said:

WHAT THE HECK IS EVERYBODY’S PROBLEM?  Cruises will be around in the future.  This smells like a compromise between cruise lines & CDC where CDC probably wanted to shut them down because of the higher possibility of Covid-19 spread on ships, and the CLIA fought back and they eventually agreed to something to make it more difficult for the community at highest risk to cruise.

I note this doesn’t require the cruiser to be free of risk factors if they are under 70, and it also doesn’t address cardiac disease, which is top on the list of co-morbidities with poorer outcome.

IMHO it’s too watered down, it should be a bit stronger.  Not that NCL will know if you are 40 and have COPD, but I wish there was some way this would be a bit more widespread.  I know we can’t ask everyone who is sailing to get a doctor’s note, but medically I think people should really have it in their faces what the risk factors and consequences are if they choose to cruise.  No risk factors, great!  

Let the flames begin—and no, I am not a troll, I think my post count speaks for itself.

I mean I agree with you maybe??? 
Lol 

if you’re not sick, (unfortunately Elderly) Or have a lowered immune system what is there to worry about. And if you ARE over 70 and get your form filled out and approved then no Worries!  

im all for everybody traveling as long as you’re healthy;  wouldn’t  care  If you’re 99 and healthy 

“This smacks of discrimination. Would not be surprised if civil rights lawsuits followed. Seems it would have been better for them to make everyone boarding (all ages) sign a waiver agreeing to accept any risk that may be incurred on health as a result of cruising.”

No civil rights law protects from age discrimination except in housing and employment. 

3 hours ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

You have to do the math here.  If 8% of the people from 70 - 79 and almost 15% of people 80 and above die from the virus, they have to look at what capacity the ship has to handle this if they have an outbreak.

It's just good planning.  

How big is the freezer?  Asking for a friend....

• Like 2

Why are the sports organizations, television shows, all cancelling audience participation?  Those venues are a mixed age group.  There is obviously concern, so why isn't NCL following suit and cancelling?  An outbreak is an outbreak regardless of the age.  There are many people who have contacted the virus who are under 60 and have suffered serious consequences.  So,  NCl's cutoff age isn't working for me.  It is all about the almighty dollar.  Sad.....

• Like 1

Guys, guys, please look at the mortality tables.  This topic and the one about the European travel ban are both complaining about two measures meant to

1.  Protect older people from a known very high health risk

2.  Protect the American public from additional sources of Covid-19 (although I suspect our own community transmission is already out of control—but let’s not add fuel to the fire)

Regardless of your political opinions, please support our government in dealing with this pandemic.  Many of you seem to be disconnected from what is ahead of us.  The more people who support these control measures and cooperate, rather than try to get around the system, the faster we will get through this..  

Edited by erdoran
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

Checked with my dr and he said that although I am healthy, the form opens the door to liability.  He refused.   Oh well......

I know my MD would say the same... this is discrimination no  matter how they try to position it... they should be challenged.  It's not an "oh well" situation IMO, we stand to lose thousands of dollars because of this. We need to fight this decision. 

3 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

This smacks of discrimination. Would not be surprised if civil rights lawsuits followed. Seems it would have been better for them to make everyone boarding (all ages) sign a waiver agreeing to accept any risk that may be incurred on health as a result of cruising.

Someobe posted the risk for ages above 60. It is not discrimination.  Why would ppl be fighting this? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Guys, guys, please look at the mortality tables.  This topic and the one about the European travel ban are both complaining about two measures meant to

1.  Protect older people from a known very high health risk

2.  Protect the American public from additional sources of Covid-19 (although I suspect our own community transmission is already out of control—but let’s not add fuel to the fire)

Regardless of your political opinions, please support our government in dealing with this pandemic.  Many of you seem to be disconnected from what is ahead of us.  The more people who support these control measures and cooperate, rather than try to get around the system.  

No way!!!

2 minutes ago, Gershep said:

WOW this is really crazy.

According to Dr. Fauci, NIH, this is only the beginning, things are going to get MUCH worse.  Please help everyone out by cooperating and encouraging others to cooperate.  This isn’t a drill, this is real, and it’s something we have never ever seen in any of our lives.  Consider yourself blessed if the worst thing that happens to you is you have to cancel for FCC, or NCL cancels on you.  

• Like 2

My husband called NCL tonight bc his mom cruises on Saturday. NCL rep said the policy begins 16Mar2020.

on the other hand, my trip with my mom who is 75 will probably not happen as her doc is on medical leave and that others in that med office would not sign off on that in her opinion.

Edited by ladypirate2012

2 hours ago, erdoran said:

WHAT THE HECK IS EVERYBODY’S PROBLEM?  Cruises will be around in the future.  This smells like a compromise between cruise lines & CDC where CDC probably wanted to shut them down because of the higher possibility of Covid-19 spread on ships, and the CLIA fought back and they eventually agreed to something to make it more difficult for the community at highest risk to cruise.

I note this doesn’t require the cruiser to be free of risk factors if they are under 70, and it also doesn’t address cardiac disease, which is top on the list of co-morbidities with poorer outcome.

IMHO it’s too watered down, it should be a bit stronger.  Not that NCL will know if you are 40 and have COPD, but I wish there was some way this would be a bit more widespread.  I know we can’t ask everyone who is sailing to get a doctor’s note, but medically I think people should really have it in their faces what the risk factors and consequences are if they choose to cruise.  No risk factors, great!  

Let the flames begin—and no, I am not a troll, I think my post count speaks for itself.

The problem is...they are keeping the money of the 70+ year old people (who might not be fit to travel or whose doctor doesn’t want the liability of signing a form) and giving them worthless FCC in return.  

If they don’t want the customer to cruise...give them back the cash they paid for the cruise.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, erdoran said:

According to Dr. Fauci, NIH, this is only the beginning, things are going to get MUCH worse.  Please help everyone out by cooperating and encouraging others to cooperate.  This isn’t a drill, this is real, and it’s something we have never ever seen in any of our lives.  Consider yourself blessed if the worst thing that happens to you is you have to cancel for FCC, or NCL cancels on you.  

Yes people over SIXTY, not 70 are at increased risk, as are people with autoimmune disease et al of any age, smokers, heart patients, transplant recipients, and so many more at risk populations but they should follow this for either everyone or none.  And when it specifies certain illnesses, that reeks of a HIPPA violation.  Either your doctor signs that you are fit for travel or not, and it's obvious that this was not run through legal before it was hurriedly sent.  We are on a transatlantic cruise April 9 and we didn't receive anything from NCL.  I understand this was something the White House suggested last weekend at the cruise line meeting...to just ban anyone over 70 and the cruise lines pushed back.  BY THE WAY, this has NOTHING to do with supporting our government or cooperating, or anything like that and I really resent those implied criticism of lack of loyalty or patriotism.   This country is divided enough as it is, and last I checked it is still a free and equal country which has a lot of legislation concerning discrimination.

16 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I agree!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

Yes people over SIXTY, not 70 are at increased risk, as are people with autoimmune disease et al of any age, smokers, heart patients, transplant recipients, and so many more at risk populations but they should follow this for either everyone or none.  And when it specifies certain illnesses, that reeks of a HIPPA violation.  Either your doctor signs that you are fit for travel or not, and it's obvious that this was not run through legal before it was hurriedly sent.  We are on a transatlantic cruise April 9 and we didn't receive anything from NCL.  I understand this was something the White House suggested last weekend at the cruise line meeting...to just ban anyone over 70 and the cruise lines pushed back.  BY THE WAY, this has NOTHING to do with supporting our government or cooperating, or anything like that and I really resent those implied criticism of lack of loyalty or patriotism.   This country is divided enough as it is, and last I checked it is still a free and equal country which has a lot of legislation concerning discrimination.

This is just more legal protection for the cruise line.  Get a note.  Something happens to you on the ship.  Drag the poor doctor into the court room and complain that he signed the document knowing you were high risk, hes the villan.  Much easier to defend than say passenger dies on ship due to virus and the cruise line has no buffer. 

• Like 3