The clock is ticking on our March 21 deadline

MudderBear

I guess I should have patience.....My Alaska tour/cruise starts May 26th, but I have to give them an answer about getting a refund (not a great one) by March 21.  As the ports in Vancouver will be closed till July 1, does anyone think HAL will come out with a better refund offer prior to March 21.?

1 minute ago, MudderBear said:

I guess I should have patience.....My Alaska tour/cruise starts May 26th, but I have to give them an answer about getting a refund (not a great one) by March 21.  As the ports in Vancouver will be closed till July 1, does anyone think HAL will come out with a better refund offer prior to March 21.?

What deadline happens on March 21 for a May 26 cruise?

Doesn't you getting your costs back and you having your health.   We know from an experience recently what it is to be sick in a foreign land and then having to be home again.  Thank God it all went well, but I would not wish that on anyone.   Not meant to put you down, just a caution to what could be.

1 minute ago, MudderBear said:

The March 21 is to make a decision (per HAL's email about a week ago) whether we want to cancel or not.

Since that email, Canada has closed all of their ports to cruise ships carrying more than 500 people (including crew). 

Our Alaska cruise is scheduled from May 3-10, but we have not heard what HAL plans to do with our booking. 

Holland America Line is having to shuffle a lot of pieces and with a 30 day total shut down, they will be very busy with notifying passengers for the numerous cruises that were scheduled to depart during that time.

Your original guess of needing patience is your best instinct. Bless you as you look forward, and may you have a peace that surpasses understanding.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

The March 21 is to make a decision (per HAL's email about a week ago) whether we want to cancel or not.

The March 21 date was moved to July 31 3 days ago https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/extension-of-short-term-changes-to-cancellation-policy-to-july-31-2020/

I am on May 18th, I don't expect to hear anything from HAL until the end of this week at the earliest. I am expecting they will have to cancel the cruise, they just aren't dealing with May right now, they are dealing with all the cancellations and flights for the next week. I can't find it right now but last week the asked that we not call about Alaska while they are solving immediate problems.

A-

41 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

The March 21 date was moved to July 31 3 days ago https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/extension-of-short-term-changes-to-cancellation-policy-to-july-31-2020/

I am on May 18th, I don't expect to hear anything from HAL until the end of this week at the earliest. I am expecting they will have to cancel the cruise, they just aren't dealing with May right now, they are dealing with all the cancellations and flights for the next week. I can't find it right now but last week the asked that we not call about Alaska while they are solving immediate problems.

A-

The following is from the Holland America Blog post from 3/13/2020.

To fully support guests on the cruises that were cancelled for this weekend and who are in transit, Holland America Line kindly requests that all those booked on cruises next week or later do not call reservations for assistance this weekend as hold times are expected to be very long. The line will be automatically working through the bookings of all impacted guests based on departure date and will send communications in the coming week regarding their options. We sincerely thank everyone for their patience and understanding.

My husband said he didn't receive an email.  To top that off, I never even received the first email.  I don't know why only my husband did as I am actually the "lead" person on the reservation.

I'll ask hubby to check his spam folder.  Do they only send emails out to one person in the party?  That sounds so archaic.

10 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

I just read the link.  That notice is about people who are booked between after 5/31 and July 31.  What it doesn't address is the DATE I have to make my decision, which right now is March 21.

The policy is extended and you have up to 48 hours before sailing to cancel. The section that talks about April and May is for passengers that booked under the sail with confidence program (a new program) are now covered by the new policy.

In order to give travelers greater peace of mind surrounding their upcoming vacation plans, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020 (previously only through May 31 departures).

15 hours ago, MudderBear said:

I just read the link.  That notice is about people who are booked between after 5/31 and July 31.  What it doesn't address is the DATE I have to make my decision, which right now is March 21.

I think you are wondering the same thing I am: sure, we can cancel our cruise (that leaves on June 1) from Vancouver (maybe),  48 hrs. before, but then we will just get FCC for our whole payment, it appears. If we cancel before the 50% penalty date (ours is March 30th), we should get a full refund to our credit card(s) less deposit.  Is this not how everyone else reads the email from HAL extending cancelling to July 31st cruises?

If HAL cancels the cruise after our 50% penalty date, then we will only get 50% refunded to CC and 50% FCC, as I see it. And the longer it takes, the FCC will go up and cash down. So we have to guess at what to do, including the chance that Canada may change it's mind and reopen the ports and our cruise will go on without us....🤔

P.S. I just read another thread started by MudderBear with a reply that suggests he/she is looking for a "better offer". I'm not looking for that, I really just want to go on the cruise, but I don't want a giant FCC that I can't use since we cruise once a year or so, and already have one booked, so can't use the FCC for it's full value, unless you can use it for more than one cruise.

Edited by PSR

23 hours ago, MudderBear said:

My husband said he didn't receive an email.  To top that off, I never even received the first email.  I don't know why only my husband did as I am actually the "lead" person on the reservation.

I'll ask hubby to check his spam folder.  Do they only send emails out to one person in the party?  That sounds so archaic.

Same here... I booked a cabin for myself and my wife and one her mother (with a different confirmation number). So far I have only received the original cancellation or OBC email (on March 6) which only referenced her reservation, not ours (up to this point we have received two copies of each communication from HAL - one for each reservation). I haven't seen anything since then, and there's nothing in my spam folder. It looks like the emails are going out selectively rather than every announcement to every reservation. Obviously I'm not calling in at this point but I'm hoping to know soon so I can plan another vacation for this year.

8 hours ago, PSR said:

I think you are wondering the same thing I am: sure, we can cancel our cruise (that leaves on June 1) from Vancouver (maybe),  48 hrs. before, but then we will just get FCC for our whole payment, it appears. If we cancel before the 50% penalty date (ours is March 30th), we should get a full refund to our credit card(s) less deposit.  Is this not how everyone else reads the email from HAL extending cancelling to July 31st cruises?

If HAL cancels the cruise after our 50% penalty date, then we will only get 50% refunded to CC and 50% FCC, as I see it. And the longer it takes, the FCC will go up and cash down. So we have to guess at what to do, including the chance that Canada may change it's mind and reopen the ports and our cruise will go on without us....🤔

P.S. I just read another thread started by MudderBear with a reply that suggests he/she is looking for a "better offer". I'm not looking for that, I really just want to go on the cruise, but I don't want a giant FCC that I can't use since we cruise once a year or so, and already have one booked, so can't use the FCC for it's full value, unless you can use it for more than one cruise.

The current offer for other canceled cruises is 100% cash or 125% FCC for canceled cruises in the future. Most of the FCC have been able to be used on more than 1 booking, you have to book by 12/31/2021 and sail by 2022 for FCC. You won't get your "freebies"  but there are similar sailings now with $300 OBC, free gratuities and WiFi.

7 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

The current offer for other canceled cruises is 100% cash or 125% FCC for canceled cruises in the future. Most of the FCC have been able to be used on more than 1 booking, you have to book by 12/31/2021 and sail by 2022 for FCC. You won't get your "freebies"  but there are similar sailings now with $300 OBC, free gratuities and WiFi.

That's what I have seen also, but the whole thing is very confusing. My email from HAL earlier this month only mentions the cancellations (by us, I guess) up to 48hrs before the cruise (if it goes forward for some reason) will all be for FCC only. I guess the cancellation by HAL refunds will be different; that's where the decision lies. Maybe it will be clearer by the end of the month...

35 minutes ago, PSR said:

That's what I have seen also, but the whole thing is very confusing. My email from HAL earlier this month only mentions the cancellations (by us, I guess) up to 48hrs before the cruise (if it goes forward for some reason) will all be for FCC only. I guess the cancellation by HAL refunds will be different; that's where the decision lies. Maybe it will be clearer by the end of the month...

They keep updating as the world changes. Alaska Cruises before July 1 will need to be cancelled as they can't stop in Canada or leave / end in Canada. HAL just hasn't had time to deal with Alaska its a long way off when they are emptying all their ships around the world. By the end of this week they should be able to deal with Alaskan cruises.

Alaska now has its first cases so thing may change there. I think those that cancel on their own before the policy develops get what the contract and revised policy offers, if HAL has to cancel that's where their 100% cash/125% FCC offer would come in.

I am fully expecting my May 18th departure out of Vancouver to Alaska to be cancelled by HAL.

I expect United Airlines to cancel my flight., in either case if they don't cancel then with hall I will take the previous FCC offer and with United the rebook offer. I cancelled my hotel. I haven't cancelled any of my non HAL excursions, waiting until I know so I can hopefully move the money to a future date. I have a September Alaska trip booked on Princess but I may cancel that and take my trip in September if available at a price I like or maybe a different Princess cruise.

I just have to wait for the craziness to simmer down and let HAL make a decision and then I will know what to do.

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Alaska now has its first cases so thing may change there. I think those that cancel on their own before the policy develops get what the contract and revised policy offers, if HAL has to cancel that's where their 100% cash/125% FCC offer would come in.

Yes, it does appear to be snowballing for not allowing the cruises before July 1 to go forward...guess we will just wait for HAL to make a statement. Thanks for your perspective. 

1 hour ago, MudderBear said:

I'm the OP, and the "better offer" I was looking for was 100% cash back and no FCC.  Doesn't seem fair if there is NO cruise then I can't get a full refund.

If there is no cruise you aren't cancelling, they are, we will all get an offer similar to what they have been giving other cruisers that are having their cruises cancelled. 100% cash back or 125% FCC booked  within 19+ months from now (12/31/2021) and sailed no later than 2022.

If you choose to cancel now before they cancel the cruise then you will get a FCC or 50% cash and 50% FCC depending on the timing and you get to wait on the phone for a long time.

Its your choice until they cancel then the cancel by the carrier portion of the contract comes into play

(A) If Carrier cancels the Cruise before it has started, it shall refund the Cruise Fare (less any air or accommodation charges incurred) and the Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses.

A

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

But my issue is this.........I have a deadline to make the decision, which is March 21.  I have NOT, and I repeat NOT, been advised that the decision date has been moved further down the road.

I believe that you are mistaken:

In his email dated March  6th, Ashford gave a deadline of March 31st  to choose your options:

cancel and 

• receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee, which can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021.
  • The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations.
  • FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled.

OR

choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between March 6 and May 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit (OBC) amounts:

• $100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for 6-day cruises (or fewer)
  • $200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for 7-day and longer cruises

This is what I received for a cruise which is supposed to depart on May 10th 2020 from Amsterdam.

FWIW: With what is happening in Europe especially after what the Dutch  PM said last night , I will wait for HAL to cancel my cruise .