Cruise Critic Community
VideoTech

Curacao Car Rental - Advance Carrental - Fantastic!

Just wanted to put up another good word for Celestino at Advance Car Rental in Willemstad, Curacao. We couldn't have been happier with our one day rental during an NCL Epic cruise stop in Curacao. 

All the preliminaries were handled promptly and efficiently by email. Celestino meets you at the port with your car, gives you a programmed GPS unit to use in the car (and he'll enter any destinations you're interested in if they are not already in the GPS). He also gives you a pre-programmed cell phone that can be used to call him if you should happen to need it. He'll give you a nice map, and discuss your tour plans with you, making recommendations as to the order you might want to visit them, and tips about things you may not know, such as early closing times. The car (a recent model Nissan Versa) was clean and well maintained. 

Driving in Curacao (and indeed in all the ABC's) is easy, particularly if you're from the U.S. as they drive on the right hand side of the road. Signage is clear and easy to decipher, and all the other drivers are uncommonly courteous. The GPS (or Maps.Me running on your cell phone) is definitely needed, as many of the secondary roads do not have signs. 

Perhaps the only hitch in the whole process is refilling the car before you return it. There is a gas station near the port that only takes credit cards, but I could not get any of my credit cards to work in the reader. I ended up paying $US at another station, and of course got the change back in the Netherlands Antilles coins. But they'll make a nice souvenir. 

I highly recommend Celestino and Advance Carrentals if you're looking to do your own thing on a cruise stop or vacation in Curacao.

Thanks for posting.  We usually just walk around the town but this is a nice alternative for the next time.  Sounds amazing!

What was the cost of the rental for the day?  Do you have contact information?

We have used them for our last 3 trips.  Rental price for the day was $79.

thanks for this information. If we switch to the cruise going here, we will have 12 hours in port. I read in another post about renting a car from this place. They said it was great for a trip to the North side to swim with turtles, a drive to a nice place for lunch, then another guy to go to the Blue Room. If we go this route I have to do a lot more research.