for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for your reply😀no hiking boots for me.

Not even tie-dye???  

I do need to buy myself a pair of waterproof hiking shoes one of these days, though.  I've got to go up to the outlet mall and see what the Merrell store has.   Walking around in the woods for 2 days in wet hiking shoes was not fun - would have been better in Jambu's 😷

IMG_0672.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls🙂 I decided to go through clothes this morning for Alaska. I know it is all about layering but I needed to at least try on multiple pairs of pants to se what fit the best for this cruise.

Daytime to Alaska is waaayyyyyyy different than Greece LOL.  I found a pair of Ponte Knit gray slacks in my closet that fit beautifully and can be daytime or evening pants!......I looked on the label and I know I got them on QVC so I went to their website and ordered another pair in black. They really feel like a very high end knit......if it was winter, I would have kept them on today LOL.

Then I tried on about 6 pair of other pants......3 didn't work as well.......3 did. Now I am in the middle of doing laundry of some long sleeved tops......they are all soft cotton and should work well for daytime.

(Pullovers, different colors, lightweight).   I forgot Alaska will take some extra thought LOL

And I have a question please......what shoes are you Alaska cruisers taking with you? Really the question is for daytime.......evenings I am good with what I am bringing. Just wondering about the days.......it has been a long, long time since I sailed to Alaska.

Lois, I plan on taking my running shoes (just nike fly knit ) &  boots.... clothing wise, I have layers of a base of longer tank tops, long sleeved tees, & a puffer vest... also have packable waterproof rainjacket w/hood....  they were great in Iceland & Scotland when we wanted to get up close to waterfalls (& in actual rain, 😉 )

Evenings...  just don't know...  I've hear Alaska is a lot more casual in evenings...will probably take a long silky skirt & a couple of sleeveless tops, & maybe a couple of casual dresses...  

For DH, it's pretty easy,  black hiking pants in the day (or shorts if it's warm) light layers on top...

I'm thinking I will take a day outfit of shorts & long sleeved linen top in case we have a warm spell. 

We get a few free bags of laundry which certainly helps!

well, break over, & back to work 🙂

• Like 1

I would think that I would pack just like I do for a camping trip, but toss in something to wear in the evening.  If I took my black hiking/camping/work pants, I could use them for evening!   My biggest problem would be deciding which ball hat to take 😉

I'd even bring my headlamp because you never know when you're going to have to maneuver in the dark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Not even tie-dye???  

I do need to buy myself a pair of waterproof hiking shoes one of these days, though.  I've got to go up to the outlet mall and see what the Merrell store has.   Walking around in the woods for 2 days in wet hiking shoes was not fun - would have been better in Jambu's 😷

IMG_0672.JPG

Very cute🙂but I would never wear them here at home so it would really be a total waste of $$.

Hi girls,🙂 I don't run LOL......but I decided to go to DSW and they had a very lightweight pair of New Balance on the clearance rack! Oh my, are they comfortable👍.......so I got them and will use them for daytime. They are straight black which I really prefer. So many of them have white bottoms and I just don't really like that........these will do great. They are not heavy and will be great to pack.

• Like 2

Hi again, I found my shoes on the DSW website and then clicked on the reviews. WOW......tons of 5 stars and many from gals who are not runners. Just that they are comfy and fit well👍.

They are classified as a running shoe but I will be walking....and like I mentioned, these are really lighweight too.🙂 they might look heavy but they aren't!

635 V2 Lightweight Running Shoe - Women's

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls🙂 I decided to go through clothes this morning for Alaska. I know it is all about layering but I needed to at least try on multiple pairs of pants to se what fit the best for this cruise.

Daytime to Alaska is waaayyyyyyy different than Greece LOL.  I found a pair of Ponte Knit gray slacks in my closet that fit beautifully and can be daytime or evening pants!......I looked on the label and I know I got them on QVC so I went to their website and ordered another pair in black. They really feel like a very high end knit......if it was winter, I would have kept them on today LOL.

Then I tried on about 6 pair of other pants......3 didn't work as well.......3 did. Now I am in the middle of doing laundry of some long sleeved tops......they are all soft cotton and should work well for daytime.

(Pullovers, different colors, lightweight).   I forgot Alaska will take some extra thought LOL

And I have a question please......what shoes are you Alaska cruisers taking with you? Really the question is for daytime.......evenings I am good with what I am bringing. Just wondering about the days.......it has been a long, long time since I sailed to Alaska.

For daytime I'm going to try to coordinate everything around navy rather than black. Mainly because most of the casual wear I have right now is navy. Black isn't as popular as it was a few years ago.... 

I have a pair of Columbia heavier weight sport knit pants in navy, as well a lighter weight pair of long capris, both of which wash/dry well and dry quickly if they get wet. I will also take one pair of more casual french-terry knit navy pants for lounging around the ship, and one pair of either Eileen Fisher or J Jill navy pants for traveling and possibly for dinner on a casual evening.

To go with these, a variety of t-shirts (long sleeved, short sleeved, 3/4 sleeved) in coordinating colors. I may bring one lightweight printed wrap-style cardigan that goes with navy.

I have a navy fleece LLBean jacket, lightweight, and a lightweight rain jacket in more of a turquoise blue with a hood. I can layer these if needed, e.g., the day we cruise the glacier.  Or use each on its own.

For evening will stick with my usual black pants, black skirt & some nice tops. 

Daytime shoes -- I will bring a pair of slip-on loafers in navy (similar to docksiders) and also will bring a pair of my trusted Abeo walking shoes for days with more walking. They are not truly waterproofed, but I have used a waterproof spray on them several times and it keeps them fairly dry. Plus my dressy black flats for evenings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,🙂 I don't run LOL......but I decided to go to DSW and they had a very lightweight pair of New Balance on the clearance rack! Oh my, are they comfortable👍.......so I got them and will use them for daytime. They are straight black which I really prefer. So many of them have white bottoms and I just don't really like that........these will do great. They are not heavy and will be great to pack.

Nice purchase!!  Now, see if you can find some spray-on waterproofing and do them.  Usually it's either Scotchguard or Nikwax - at Walmart or Target  That will help even more to make them good to use in Alaska.

Yeah I know my boots wouldn't be "in style" in JAX.  Up here, they're useful and colorful.  A nice change from the usual tan or brown boots and they aren't "clunky" and they are really lightweight.  

• Like 1

Cynthia,😃 I had to smile when you said black is not as popular as it once was? In my book, it is always popular😉..I totally forgot about the joggers I have.......one black LOL......one a mauvy/lavender color. I will bring them for daytime! They take up so much less space than "regular pants"...which I will still pack but not as many!  But the joggers are so comfy......I wore a pair on the flight to Athens.

Oh, Debbie,  see below....my review from the Greece Cruise (sort of a review)

Kat, thanks for the tip on the shoes.......I will check out Target.

Here is the link to my review.....figured I could copy/paste it here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Cynthia,😃 I had to smile when you said black is not as popular as it once was? In my book, it is always popular😉..I totally forgot about the joggers I have.......one black LOL......one a mauvy/lavender color. I will bring them for daytime! They take up so much less space than "regular pants"...which I will still pack but not as many!  But the joggers are so comfy......I wore a pair on the flight to Athens.

Oh, Debbie,  see below....my review from the Greece Cruise (sort of a review)

Kat, thanks for the tip on the shoes.......I will check out Target.

Here is the link to my review.....figured I could copy/paste it here.

thank you !   Can't wait to have time to read it !

Lois, definitely waterproof those sneakers. The spray really does work pretty well. I’d also pack a couple pair of Smartwool socks, a pair of windproof gloves/mittens, a beanie warm hat, a vest & a hooded waterproof jacket that can be worn over the vest.  Light layers are more comfy than heavy ones. I’d also bring a sling type backpack to shove all those things into in case it’s warm. Enjoy. Melody 

3 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Lois, definitely waterproof those sneakers. The spray really does work pretty well. I’d also pack a couple pair of Smartwool socks, a pair of windproof gloves/mittens, a beanie warm hat, a vest & a hooded waterproof jacket that can be worn over the vest.  Light layers are more comfy than heavy ones. I’d also bring a sling type backpack to shove all those things into in case it’s warm. Enjoy. Melody 

Hi Melody, thanks for all the tips. 🙂I have been to Alaska before at least 3 times but I don't plan on buying a bunch of new things for this trip. The shoes, yes.......but as for mittens/gloves? I will never wear them again. And my jacket has pockets......yes, it is lined and will do well in this climate. Will decide about a vest, but I doubt it. I know it is all about the layering. And I doubt I will buy a new backpack......have some time to decide. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, thanks for all the tips. 🙂I have been to Alaska before at least 3 times but I don't plan on buying a bunch of new things for this trip. The shoes, yes.......but as for mittens/gloves? I will never wear them again. And my jacket has pockets......yes, it is lined and will do well in this climate. Will decide about a vest, but I doubt it. I know it is all about the layering. And I doubt I will buy a new backpack......have some time to decide. 

Lois - you never know about the mittens/gloves:  We're getting sweltering heat here, you all may get freezing cold down there this winter 😉

• Like 1

Melody - it's easy for us to pack for Alaska - we wear all that "Alaska-type" stuff in our regular life.   The only thing that I'd take that I haven't worn at home is my Patagonia vest - bought it at REI with my other stuff at the last sale but it was never cool enough to wear it yet when I've been camping!  It's a cool knit instead of nylon/down/microfill.   I can wear it at work this Winter.

As for that daypack - man, I'd have a hard time deciding which one to take.  I'm a daypack hoarder!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Lois - you never know about the mittens/gloves:  We're getting sweltering heat here, you all may get freezing cold down there this winter 😉

Hi Kat, we have had freezing days in the winters here. I am in the northern part of the state. But I still don't wear gloves/mittens. That is just me.

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, we have had freezing days in the winters here. I am in the northern part of the state. But I still don't wear gloves/mittens. That is just me.

I don't wear them here, either, unless I'm out shoveling snow or being the ski valet at work.   I'm always looking for a rationale for buying something!

On 7/24/2021 at 8:44 PM, Lois R said:

Cynthia,😃 I had to smile when you said black is not as popular as it once was? In my book, it is always popular😉.

Well, it's still popular with me, but what I meant was that when I went out earlier this summer to buy some new tees/casual wear, everything seemed geared toward navy as opposed to a few years ago when it was easier to find black-based prints/patterns.

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, it's still popular with me, but what I meant was that when I went out earlier this summer to buy some new tees/casual wear, everything seemed geared toward navy as opposed to a few years ago when it was easier to find black-based prints/patterns.

ohhh....I had no idea. Guess I haven't shopped much this summer. 

On 7/25/2021 at 7:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I haven’t seen much navy here in anything, some chocolate browns but lots of black & some grey 

Hi girls,🙂 I went to Target and got the Scotch Guard for my sneakers.  And I cleaned out my closest of shoes......omg.......I know since Dec 19 (when I retired) I had many, many sandals I used to wear......

Once I retired and then everything stopped I didn't wear them.......If I told you a bagged up 20 pair of sandals and donated them to Goodwill, would you think I am nuts?😲....LOL.......the bottom of my closet looks so much roomier now.  I still have all the sandals I wear on a regular basis but all those others? There was no need for me to keep them!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls,🙂 I went to Target and got the Scotch Guard for my sneakers.  And I cleaned out my closest of shoes......omg.......I know since Dec 19 (when I retired) I had many, many sandals I used to wear......

Once I retired and then everything stopped I didn't wear them.......If I told you a bagged up 20 pair of sandals and donated them to Goodwill, would you think I am nuts?😲....LOL.......the bottom of my closet looks so much roomier now.  I still have all the sandals I wear on a regular basis but all those others? There was no need for me to keep them!

Oh my gosh, Lois!  that's a lot of sandals lol....  I have a few pairs of shoes I really should donate...  haven't worn in years, a couple of pairs of wedge type slide sandals...  the thing is, they are so old, I think they are in style again 😉   btw, very much enjoyed your little review of your last cruise, your enthusiasm for being back on the seas is making me impatient for my turn! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Oh my gosh, Lois!  that's a lot of sandals lol....  I have a few pairs of shoes I really should donate...  haven't worn in years, a couple of pairs of wedge type slide sandals...  the thing is, they are so old, I think they are in style again 😉   btw, very much enjoyed your little review of your last cruise, your enthusiasm for being back on the seas is making me impatient for my turn! 

Hi Debbie,🙂 thanks so much. It got a bit off track with so many people replying LOL

• Like 1

Good morning!  Lois, I have enjoyed reading your review, it sounds like an amazing cruise and so nice to be back on the water again.  

Our youngest grandson is visiting with his dad, our son, so we spent yesterday at Sea World. Very unlike our visit last month, the park was packed with long lines for everything.  We came home around 10pm only to discover we had no electricity.  FPL’s help line was no help as they said nothing could be done until their services opened at 730am and to call then.  Called this morning to discover the previous owner had disconnected her service and our account had been disconnected along with hers.  They were able to reconnect us very quickly but we have to pay a service charge for it now.😂😂😂. The joys of moving! 

OOTD: We are going to spend most of our day playing at the beach and the pool, so I will be wearing swimsuit and coverup.  No makeup and hair pulled back into pony tail.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Good morning!  Lois, I have enjoyed reading your review, it sounds like an amazing cruise and so nice to be back on the water again.  

Our youngest grandson is visiting with his dad, our son, so we spent yesterday at Sea World. Very unlike our visit last month, the park was packed with long lines for everything.  We came home around 10pm only to discover we had no electricity.  FPL’s help line was no help as they said nothing could be done until their services opened at 730am and to call then.  Called this morning to discover the previous owner had disconnected her service and our account had been disconnected along with hers.  They were able to reconnect us very quickly but we have to pay a service charge for it now.😂😂😂. The joys of moving! 

OOTD: We are going to spend most of our day playing at the beach and the pool, so I will be wearing swimsuit and coverup.  No makeup and hair pulled back into pony tail.

Sherri🙂

Ooh, that stinks. You shouldn’t have to pay the service charge. They shouldn’t have messed with your account

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Ooh, that stinks. You shouldn’t have to pay the service charge. They shouldn’t have messed with your account

totally agree, she should not have to pay service charge for their mistake 🙂

had some unsettling news, my son in laws brother is in hospital with covid....  he's unvaccinated, how wife & kids have it too...  so upsetting that it could have been avoided...he's 39, & healthy..