for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I have to second the big WOW from Lois!  I thought I was young but you have me beat!  We married 2 months before my 19th birthday, Richard was 21.  Our wedding was the summer before my second year of nursing school and Richard’s senior year.  We lived in married housing at Indiana University.  Good times!

So, once again we got a little crazy and booked a cruise that leaves tomorrow!  I told my husband that I felt like we needed a just relax vacation after the go go go of the river cruise, so I guess I better pack!😂

Sherri🙂

Hey Sherri, what ship and are you sailing out of Pt. Canaveral? I didn't realize you could book 1 day in advance.........

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey Sherri, what ship and are you sailing out of Pt. Canaveral? I didn't realize you could book 1 day in advance.........

We didn’t, we booked it before Thanksgiving.  We are sailing on Jewel of the Seas out of PortvCanaveral.

Sherri🙂

Wow Sherri that sounds exciting ,enjoy your cruise .Last minute holidays are great.

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday .

I asked my husband to bring some tinned pumpkin pie mix from Trader Joes and we made a pie which we all enjoyed. Today he tried to get some of the rosemary nuts I read about here ,but they are sold out 😞

I have been buy planning my trip to Europe next year,its great as it keeps my mind off the chemo.

You are correct Sherri two more to go .Next one is Dec 12 and Im still doing well with few symptoms although I was more tired this time.

I've just got home from working at the shop for four hours and its getting a little crazy now ,maybe as its December .

• Like 3

First day back at work. Easy day,  just getting used to things and remembering my logins/passwords.  And, I have my first drink of the year from the coffee machine - cappuccino x2 as one didn't fill my cup!  Oh,how I missed that machine!   I'm a bit scared for Christmas week - management is still trying to hire 2 more people.  If they don't find anyone, it's just me and the boss lady to handle the chaos.  That would NOT be good at all!!

OOTD:  black Saint & Sofia Apartment pants, a Hot Chillys leopard printed half-zip turtle, and my new white Athleta retroplush cocoon sleeveless hoodie (got it on big sale and wanted another vest to wear at work), and my Teva chukkas.   Oh, and I took my Brasil Parka that I have from the Luge Team.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MrToblerone said:

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday .

I asked my husband to bring some tinned pumpkin pie mix from Trader Joes and we made a pie which we all enjoyed. Today he tried to get some of the rosemary nuts I read about here ,but they are sold out 😞

Who knew there were Trader Joes in Auckland?!?!?!   Too bad about the rosemary nuts. I had to crack mine open (just for testing purposes of course) and they're really good. Oh well...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

OOTD:  black Saint & Sofia Apartment pants, a Hot Chillys leopard printed half-zip turtle, and my new white Athleta retroplush cocoon sleeveless hoodie (got it on big sale and wanted another vest to wear at work), and my Teva chukkas.   Oh, and I took my Brasil Parka that I have from the Luge Team.  

That sleeveless hoodie looks cute and not TOO warm for our milder weather. Might give it a try (in black). 

Also: I ordered the Delancey cargoes in black on Black Friday sales -- just came yesterday. I really like them, only small quibble would be wishing they had a little less flare at the bottom...but then I don't wear boots.

• Like 3

OMG, I am sooo behind! First of all, I want to echo Kat’s and Cynthia’s comments about being grateful for all of you and all the good and not so good times we have shared. As bad as the pandemic has been and apparently continues to be, I don’t think that we would have this cyber connection if it weren’t for the pandemic. 

Happy Anniversary and Congratulations to Melody and Les on 50 years well done! May you enjoy many, many more happy years. Also want to wish you Bon Voyage and may your upcoming cruise be a wonderful celebration of this special anniversary.

Sherri, hope you are enjoying your cruise, it is nice that you don’t have to fly. I’m glad you had a nice time with your GS and this cruise is a great way to relax before the busy holidays.

Kat, good luck now that you have begun this year’s work. I hope you are soon joined by other employees. Having to go handle it all with just one other person sounds daunting.

Hoping that Kat and Cynthia find the perfect cruise at a great price. Lois, you have a cruise planned for early next year don’t you.

Melissa, wishing you well with your next chemo. You have a really positive attitude! Planning your European adventure is a great diversion. Funny how news of Trader Joe:s products has spread to another continent, I do most of my shopping there and at Whole aFoods. I joke that if we move, there has to be a Trader Joe’s or I’m not going! Well actually, it’s isn’t a joke-I mean it.

PH, I hope your days will soon settle down so you can enjoy the holidays.

Lois, we have our supplement and part D thru AARP/United Health. We have had good experiences so far. Good luck figuring out which plan will work best for you.

So nice  to hear about all the Thanksgiving Day events (meals). DD felt better by Thanksgiving so we went to her place after all. She had purchased that Trader Joe’s brined, cooked turkey breast, their heat and eat cornbread stuffing, cauliflower casserole and pie.. We took a green salad and Trader Joe’s fresh cranberry sauce. I was amazed at how good everything was, especially the turkey. Every bit as good as the meals I have spent hours preparing in years passed. It was a warm, sunny day and we ate on her front patio. Even did a multi-way FaceTime call with ny sister, brother, DS DIL and GD, it was a really nice afternoon. We goy home just in timetime  to start some Black Friday damage!

First of all, I bought a new computer. My 10 year old MacBook Pro is still working but showing its age. Also bought a one time Microsoft Office license. No year,y renewal required. Both were on sale so saved some $. However, I think I spent that savings, and more, on several other BF and Cyber Monday deals. Some Christmas gifts and some “me” gifts. Ended up having to make a list so I can be sure everything arrives!

I feel pretty good about progress with gift purchases. One big project that I worked on for the last several weeks  was a photo album for our GD telling her the story of her first Disneyland visit which was last May. She loved it all but won’t remember it so now she will have her own story book .I used Costco which meant that I had to figure out just how their photo book process works. Directions are sadly lacking, very confusing and live help was actually worse. However, after several trials and many mistakes, I figured out how to get the results I wanted. I have used Costco for these books in the past but since the last time I made one, Costco’s photo service has apparently decided that it would be easier if their program just populated the book for you. Not what I intended. Finally figured out how to stop that from happening and then chose my layouts page by page. After I got all the pictures into the book (38 pages and 58 pictures) I then went back and wrote the story page. by page, added backgrounds to the pages and proofed it several times. Sent it off last night and just hoping that it turns out as I am visualizing it. I ordered a second book for us We have such good memories if that trip.  Also ordered our Christmas cards from Costco. Thank goodness that was far easier. They are on their way and should be here soon.

It rained, yes I said rain, all day Thursday, and today with some possibly tomorrow. I plan to decorate tomorrow and, if I have time left,   wrap gifts that need to be delivered before Christmas. Probably over planning here🙄.

Take care all,

Sharon

• Like 1

Wow Sharon, you’ve been busy!  I really miss the photo kiosk in Costco. We have several of their photo books. It’s fun to see the grands grab them when they come over to relive memories.

Hi girls,  Sharon, good to see you again and I echo Melody.....sounds like you have been really busy!

Yes, I sail early next month to the Caribbean for 11 nights.  

I have been told by several folks that since I don't turn 65 till March to wait till 2023 to actually get the Medicare plan I want.  I will be leaving for my cruise on Jan 4th and back home on the 16th.....I will do the final Medicare stuff after I get home from the cruise.  My oldest sister has been on Medicare for many years. (She lives in Mexico now) but she gave me the name of her insurance guy and I will contact him. From what she said, he is very knowledgeable and so maybe that will be a good option for me. She said his specialty is Medicare and he is located  here in Jacksonville. 

Hope all of you are having a good weekend. 

• Like 2

Hi Sharon, great to hear all that you have been up to. The Disney "memory book" sounds adorable and very creative -- a real labor of love.  I remember when ex-H's parents decided to take both of their son's families to Disney for a stay right before Christmas.  DS was about 3 1/2 years and his cousin was about 6 months younger.  It was magical for them, but they barely remember it now -- except for the photos.  

I also had to replace my old MacBook Pro a few months ago on a great sale. Funny thing is that I'm still using the old one, I keep thinking I'm going to use it til it stops.  It does have some issues with running out of power suddenly and some memory issues -- but don't we all as we get older?  LOL.

• Like 2

Sharon - funny that we had almost the same thing for Thanksgiving!!!  I had the TJ's frozen mash potatoes instead of the cauliflower!  The TJ's turkey was indeed good.

I'm still playing around with what to do for a cruise or vacation.  I had a long talk with one of my property managers about what we did this summer.  He went to Iceland and Wales and really recommended Iceland to me as a place that's easy to do as a solo.  So.....  as the hamster wheel spins 😸

Work.  Right now it's turning me into an anti-Christmas person.  Tried to put up the lobby tree - lights are only working on the lower 3rd,  Spent most of yesterday trying different plug combinations and changing fuses - no joy.  Today, I got the lounge tree up - only the very top doesn't work!!!   Didn't even get to the stair railing garland except to move the one piece that doesn't light up to the end.  Tomorrow, the boss has the idea of restringing new lights on the dead pieces - ugh.  But, after tomorrow I have my 2 days off!!!

• Like 2

Hello All,

Melody, I really miss the Costco in-store photo department too. Nice to order prints on line and then pick up in an hour or so. No shipping charges when ordering from them Most of all, much easier to get help if needed.

Lois, I”m glad that  you have found an agent to help you with Medicare coverage. That should make your decision much easier.

Cynthia, Disney trips with family are the best! I grew up in Anaheim and I recall many visits with extended family. Of course back then Disneyland was a one day experience, not like now. 

I will most likely continue to use my laptop too. I am noticing that the track pad is “difficult” at times. My new computer is an iMac. I rarely take the laptop anywhere because I have an iPad so decided to go for the larger screen this time. 

Kat, I feel your tree lighting pain. We decided to buy a new tree this year rather than deal with a half lit tree. It’s smaller than the old one but much easier to set up. Hope your light stringing goes well.

I can just hear that hamster wheel whirling around….faster and faster! I’ve not yet visited Iceland but it would be an interesting experience. So many choices-should be fun for you to research and plan.

Had planned to decorate and wrap last week but it never happened  so today we decorated our new tree and a smaller tree that is just for the ornaments our kids made when they were growing up. Also put out other decorations although I now keep it to a minimum. Even doing that, it took most of the day. Wrapping is next (I hope)  as we have several gifts that will be given/ delivered before Christmas. 

OOTD. Since we ran some errands early this morning, I did put on make up but wore comfy clothes. 
Take care,

Sharon

• Like 2

Hi girls,  great news this morning (for a change)........Brittney Griner was released😀😃😀.....

Gotta be one of the best days this year! (With all the bad things that continue to happen.......).

• Like 2

It was indeed great news!  Some are throwing cold water on it though, saying why her and not Paul Whelen.  Some rather unsavory comments out there.  We can only wait  as we have NO idea what "that country" will or won't do.  We had to take what we could - it was never an "all or no one" setup.'

Add to it - Congress passed the defense of marriage act today, even though most Rs voted against it.  

I'm still sore in my shoulders and back from working on the Christmas things.  I got the lobby tree strung with different lights but leaving the bad ones on.  It looks fine at night, but I'm not sure how it will look in daytime when the cables are visible.  Hopefully the ornaments will cover it up!  I got the garland temporarily string up the staircase - it really needs 2 people to get the swags centered on the stairs.  And I only had flimsy ribbon to tie it to the banister - it kept breaking,  I told bosslady that she needs to get something stronger for it.  I'm hoping that ornaments were strung while I was out!!!

Big few days off.  Went to the dentist yesterday for the quarterly cleaning.  All good in the oral 'hood.'  I needed some extra scraping on one side and it was sore all day/night long.  Just had soup for dinner.  While I was down in the Valley, I did another TJ's run (of course).  Some salads, some frozen things, some of the Christmas goodies that had just come in,  more eggnog yogurt.  It was a "holy $rap" moment, just lower case, not caps this time.  There was a new triple kind of almonds in a can that sounded good.  Can't eat until my teeth feel better, though.  

Go to get my followup mammogram this afternoon.  Not expecting anything,  

Dinner tonight - I'm making my white chicken chili again.  It's that time of year!

OOTD:  Free People cammo pants (my early Christmas present to myself), black long-sleeve T and my red Patagonia (it's low 30s today) and my Chacos winter chukka boots (sooo comfy).  

• Like 1

Update today before I get too tired after work tomorrow:

All good in the "boob" 'hood.  The radiologist said nothing changed with the pinpoint calcifications so they were most likely due to when I fell on the ice and bruised up my boob last Winter.  I just have to do the usual annual from now on.

More from the hamster wheel:  Sophie Minchelli has 2 spots left for her May food trip to Pulgia.  She is the daughter of Elizabeth Minchelli, who turned me onto some good restaurants the first time I went to Florence (back in the day when she was on Chowhound).   I just sent an email to find out how much and what she's going to cover.  It could be interesting.  I could then do a little sightseeing up to Calabria to find some ex-inlaws and cruise around Tropea.   Like I said - the hamster wheel...

• Like 2

I am now a total fan of Apple Air Tags. We flew to Ft Lauderdale yesterday n SW. I was looking at the app (find your tag) & told Les, your bag is on board, mine isn’t. Guess I’ll get it tomorrow.  Nope SW has a thing that bags stay with person. So we were waiting for 3 bags. All of a sudden my tag on the app starts to live, rapidly. Here comes a luggage truck to the plant, I watched my bag get loaded & a couple of others. My app now showed my bag ‘with me’. The flight attendant was standing behind eme watching my app. His comment, I’m buying those tomorrow. I’m really pretty impressed

we landed & had a great burger & key lime pie at Gilbert’s on 17th & Cordova. Melody

A67A0232-4CD4-4AAA-A165-95B8EC65539F.jpeg

C815651A-5FD4-46ED-813A-4E7F2756159C.jpeg

98566591-254C-479E-AB64-B918FDE9C67F.jpeg

850B41B2-C136-474B-B6B4-1DD49673C2AF.jpeg

3D379A66-4D4D-4008-9D31-452069671E36.jpeg

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that I have a "sleeper" hit from TJ's. Last time I was there I picked up some of their baked oat clusters (snack) that have a "cinnamon roll" yogurt drizzle. I finally got around to trying them this week and they are very good for something that isn't TOO unhealthy....  You really get that cinnamon roll taste.

image.png.161ec0f907a8041e16543295ee83ae20.png

They are satisfying too -- it's easy to just eat a few pieces without devouring the whole bag (I'm looking at you, Bamba!).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just wanted to say that I have a "sleeper" hit from TJ's. Last time I was there I picked up some of their baked oat clusters (snack) that have a "cinnamon roll" yogurt drizzle. I finally got around to trying them this week and they are very good for something that isn't TOO unhealthy....  You really get that cinnamon roll taste.

image.png.161ec0f907a8041e16543295ee83ae20.png

They are satisfying too -- it's easy to just eat a few pieces without devouring the whole bag (I'm looking at you, Bamba!).

Looks delicious.......would you mind looking at the back of the bag and post the amount of sugar that is in it?