for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Lois, here is a quick map. The Grande Bretagne is at the top of the map, on one side of Syntagma Square. The HOHO bus stop is just about a quarter of the way around the park, so very easy (shown on map).  

image.thumb.png.ec9de1e987852243153906c4c2165122.png

if you look a bit further down from the HOHO stop and to the left, you'll see the name of a restaurant 'Tzizikas kai Mermigas" which is very good. (The name in English is "The Ant and the Grasshopper".  It's not a fancy place but it's not just touristy food either. They use local ingredients and heirloom products (e.g., cheeses).  I usually eat there on every visit!

Thank you so much😀....this does look easy! And yes, I see the restaurant. It must be good if you eat there every time!!!!

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Another option, if there is something you particularly want to see that does not require a guide, is to just ask the hotel to arrange a taxi. Athens taxi drivers can be a little unscrupulous but I've found thru trial and error that asking the hotel to call one usually has a good result as the hotels tend to have a "go to" taxi company and those drivers are less likely to try to overcharge hotel guests.

Thanks for the information. I may go with your map😀.....it looks easy to walk from the hotel to the Bus and I see the restaurant too!😀

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

@slidergirl  That squirrel is seriously cute. When I first looked at the pic, it looked like he had a little squirrel mohawk -- then I realized that was his tail!  The ice jacket is very chi-chi too.

Squirrel is a sweetie.  He sits on the crook of my downspout and we "talk".  Then, he'll decide to fly to the trees and play around on them.   He knows the sound of the sliding door opening now and that means I'll show up and maybe have some sunflower seeds for him.  When the snow goes away, I have a picnic table to put out for him.  A friend had one for their squirrel and it is so cute!

• Like 1

Well, after multiple calls this morning, I found a Dr that is very near my home that is accepting new patients and I have an appt with him for Friday morning. Actually, it took 4 phone calls to find someone that had something available this soon. One was not accepting new patients and the other 2? It was like 2-4 months before they had any openings😮. The gal that helped me with this one was SUPER helpful😀.  So, now it is just wait and see how this new guy is and hopefully will get along with him. It will be my first appt on Medicare LOL........I will let ya'll know how things go!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, after multiple calls this morning, I found a Dr that is very near my home that is accepting new patients and I have an appt with him for Friday morning. Actually, it took 4 phone calls to find someone that had something available this soon. One was not accepting new patients and the other 2? It was like 2-4 months before they had any openings😮. The gal that helped me with this one was SUPER helpful😀.  So, now it is just wait and see how this new guy is and hopefully will get along with him. It will be my first appt on Medicare LOL........I will let ya'll know how things go!

Here's fingers crossed that this MD fits the bill for you!!!

Just want to say I am thinking about Sharon. I know Southern Calif has gotten 6.5 feet of snow......(probably more by now).......hope she and the family are all ok.  Sharon, if you can check in with us, please do.

Decided to do more spring cleaning.....this time it is clothing.  My Condo is a 3 bedroom and in 2 of them are closets with clothing.  I took 3 large garbage bags and omg......if I told you I had more than 20 pairs of pants/jeans that are all going to the local thrift store  that is part of a local women's shelter.

Some of the pants were too big by at least a size or size and 1/2.......others I haven't worn since I retired. That was 2019😮

I have a bunch of tops I need to do the same thing with and will take everything to the thrift store today. Usually I donate to Good Will but thought this is as good a charity (if not better).

• Like 2

Lois when I retired I took gobs (actually over 50) of suits to our local Dress for Success (for women reentering the workforce, mostly those coming off welfare). I usually take my donations to women’s shelters too

Lois hope your new doc works out well

Sharon, hope you’re weathering the snow. I have a friend at Big Bear Lake & she has almost 4’ of snow. Melody

Edited by awhfy

Hi Melody, I actually had no white jeans left after cleaning out. So after my drop off I went to our favorite store😀....I got a new pair of jeans and 3 new tops. One is on order so should be getting it sometime next week. Chico's jeans always fit me so well!!!!

• Like 2

My Spring Closet cleaning will be after I finish my winter and do a quick trip somewhere.  The cleaning is going to include some of my old dishes (My Dansk are 35 yrs old!!), glasses, water bottles and some other stuff.  

Last night's drive home was again a 1st gear, 5mph deal down the Mine Rd.  Once I got down into town, it was just sloppy messy.  Had about 5 inches of snow to blow this morning - it was a little too heavy to shovel.  The drive into work was just the opposite of last night:  A total mess on the flats from my house into town.  Had a van do a major slide in front of me, then a bus decided to risk a wide right turn when I was going through the intersection, got too close to me and I slid myself into the snowy median.  Easy to get out of and I'd rather do that then have that bus T-bone me!!!

More snow tonight.  The road is a mess again.  But it's my Friday and I can deal.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, I actually had no white jeans left after cleaning out. So after my drop off I went to our favorite store😀....I got a new pair of jeans and 3 new tops. One is on order so should be getting it sometime next week. Chico's jeans always fit me so well!!!!

Good for you. Pretty decent sale going on too. I have a doctor appt today (hoping to get rid of the pins & stitches) & Les is taking me to Chicos before my appt. I’m so excited; I’ve only been out twice since the first surgery on 23 Jan (& one of those was the second surgery on 13 Feb). I have a gift card burning up my wallet !!!  Melody

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My Spring Closet cleaning will be after I finish my winter and do a quick trip somewhere.  The cleaning is going to include some of my old dishes (My Dansk are 35 yrs old!!), glasses, water bottles and some other stuff.  

Last night's drive home was again a 1st gear, 5mph deal down the Mine Rd.  Once I got down into town, it was just sloppy messy.  Had about 5 inches of snow to blow this morning - it was a little too heavy to shovel.  The drive into work was just the opposite of last night:  A total mess on the flats from my house into town.  Had a van do a major slide in front of me, then a bus decided to risk a wide right turn when I was going through the intersection, got too close to me and I slid myself into the snowy median.  Easy to get out of and I'd rather do that then have that bus T-bone me!!!

More snow tonight.  The road is a mess again.  But it's my Friday and I can deal.  

That’s worthy of a good glass of wine. Glad it was a snowy median. 

31 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Good for you. Pretty decent sale going on too. I have a doctor appt today (hoping to get rid of the pins & stitches) & Les is taking me to Chicos before my appt. I’m so excited; I’ve only been out twice since the first surgery on 23 Jan (& one of those was the second surgery on 13 Feb). I have a gift card burning up my wallet !!!  Melody

Good luck with the Doc. Let us know how it goes and go burn up that gift card😃

• Like 1

Don't ask me why it took me a week to change my mind but I just put a deposit down for a 10 night cruise on The Seine with Tauck Tours😃 It is for July.  More $ than the first one I was looking at but it is for 3 extra days....7 on that one.....10 on this one. I was on the phone with the nice rep for about an hour.

I know Tauck and they get excellent reviews and also waive the Single Supplement on my cabin category. I have never taken a tour with them but know people who have and they give them very high marks. 

I will need to find a hotel for one night pre-cruise......Kat, did you mention something about where you stayed in Paris?  I would have booked the hotel through the cruise line but that was WAY HIGHER than I want to spend. 

I am happy with my decision😃

• Like 2

I've stayed at the Hotel Britannique -- great location if you want to be on the right bank, close to the Marais, to the Louvre, and to Notre Dame as well as only about a block away from a metro/train station with good connections everywhere in the city. We were able to use the train from and to the airport.

Britannique Hotel Official website | Paris 3 Star (hotel-britannique.fr)

I think Kat wasn't as crazy about the hotel she stayed in, which is one I had earmarked for my next visit and recommended to her -- equally convenient but to left-bank things in St. Germain area (very popular, lots of great restaurants). Hotel des Marronniers.

Hôtel des Marronniers Paris Center Official Website St Germain des Prés (hoteldesmarronniers.com)

I'll let her weigh in on whether she'd recommend it or not...

Edited to add:  I will say this -- the Hotel Britannique had super friendly staff. That's not always the case in Paris where they are usually efficient and professional but not always warm...

Edited by cruisemom42

Oops I duplicated my original post, sorry. 

Since I'm here, I was going to post later anyway to say that I'm finally starting to get the buzz of excitement for my Japan trip. When I first booked it (back in 2019 for 2020) I was pretty sussed about it, but after COVID and two cancellations in the interim, my enthusiasm kind of moved on to other things....

But since I upped my research game a couple of weeks ago, I am now officially excited again. 🤣  I think I mentioned that I took DS to Japan for two weeks (I had been once previously) for his HS graduation present. We planned it all and did it all on our own except for a couple of day tours. We spent most of the time in Tokyo and Kyoto with a few outliers (like a trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima, trip to Hakone, etc.

The cruise gives a chance to see a lot of places not on the beaten path for typical land tours, and visits 4 of the 5 main islands (all except Okinawa). Plus....cherry blossoms!  Season of festivals, special food treats, etc.

Struggling a bit right now to get my packing list organized. 28 days is the longest trip I've taken in many years. Plus the weather will vary quite a bit from fairly warm and humid in the south to fairly cool in the north.  And did I mention we also have stops in Taiwan and in South Korea. (Originally the S. Korea stop was to be Vladivostok, Russia but for obvious reasons that was changed!)

Edited by cruisemom42

I did stay at Hotel des Marrionniers last summer.  Many will like it but I'm just not used to "old classic" places, I think.  It just wasn't my style. I'm more of a modern person.  It is in a great location, the staff was very nice, and that garden patio was a nice addition - kind of like a hidden quiet spot.  I actually could stay there again if I ended up in Paris for the atmosphere and location alone.

I stepped out of my comfort zone this trip and booked mostly little boutique places.  I just have to get used to them, as they are usually in better locations than my usual.  But, since I'm not getting employee discounts anymore, I have to expand my array of hotels 🙂

Melody - after that drive, I did have a nice, big glass of 19 Crimes Cali Red! 

• Like 1

Thank you both for the suggestions. I guess I didn't realize how $$$$ hotels in Paris are! Cynthia, your place looks lovely........I will only be there one night. Room is about 500.00😮Kat, your hotel is less $$.

I actually like "Boutique" or Pensionne style properties. 

When the cruise line told me how much they want? I almost fell out of my lazy boy. They use the Intercontinental and it was like 900.00 for one night😧crazy!

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I did stay at Hotel des Marrionniers last summer.  Many will like it but I'm just not used to "old classic" places, I think.  It just wasn't my style. I'm more of a modern person.  It is in a great location, the staff was very nice, and that garden patio was a nice addition - kind of like a hidden quiet spot.  I actually could stay there again if I ended up in Paris for the atmosphere and location alone.

I stepped out of my comfort zone this trip and booked mostly little boutique places.  I just have to get used to them, as they are usually in better locations than my usual.  But, since I'm not getting employee discounts anymore, I have to expand my array of hotels 🙂

Melody - after that drive, I did have a nice, big glass of 19 Crimes Cali Red! 

We stayed at Les Marrioniers a number of years ago while our daughter was studying in Paris. Great location but the rooms are tiny! The first room they gave us was in the attic, sort of like a garret. Very atmospheric but DH couldn’t stand up in it. The next room was so small that one of us had to get dressed and leave so the other could get dressed. Only way to dry my hair was to take the mirror off the wall and sit on the floor in front of it. Typical tiny Parisian elevator. Lois, don’t take your big luggage if you decide to stay there. True, the garden is lovely and peaceful. One night might be o.k. but not more than that for me.

I got the pins & stitches out!!!  I can bear weight starting Monday with the boot (& cane if needed), but not more than a 1/2 mile. I also start 6-8 weeks of pt twice a week next week.  I can get it wet on Monday!!! (Can’t wait!). Can’t soak it in a tub for 2 weeks & I can drive in 2 weeks!!!!!!  Doc said I’m progressing much faster than he expected. Had lunch out (first time since 22 Jan! I had the patty melt & hubs had the Philly. Both were excellent) & a little shopping too…I’m bushed!!  Melody

DB6F2720-BA80-4C37-BDAE-26D456B4C8FE.jpeg

A10DFDFD-663D-4EA4-9402-ADD4780570CB.jpeg

882F3992-EBA0-406F-AB7B-95841E060978.jpeg

389F2179-2244-4AAC-B078-721C1A0784A8.jpeg

78D39980-210E-4AA3-A185-3475FA554FB3.jpeg

144B8B61-D593-4958-80CE-33345214DACD.jpeg

• Like 2