for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Anyone looking for fabulous travel pants?  Athleta is having a sale on their Endless pants $69 (instead of $109). They are super comfortable, full length not ankle, dressy but casual & have zippered pockets (that lay flat!!). I just ordered black & moss green & might get navy. They are fabulously comfortable & keep their shape. Melody

thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for them to go on sale.

Have you tried the cargo version? I've been considering them and they're on sale too (though still $10 more than the regular ones)....

Edited by cruisemom42

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for them to go on sale.

Have you tried the cargo version? I've been considering them and they're on sale too (though still $10 more than the regular ones)....

I’ve been impatiently waiting also. I tried the cargo on & pockets didn’t hit me in flattering places (bulky). I love these Endless pants.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat, I’d think a TA from San Juan to Europe would be much more expensive for airfare than one from FL to Europe. I’d have to have a balcony, I need the fresh air. They have lap blankets. 

I've been poking around and the airfare from SLC to SJU is under $500.  The cruises from FL to Lisbon are a tad more than the NCL Viva one from SJU.  So, it's kind of a push price-wise.  Plus I can use miles to book.   My brain is pretty settled on Portugal (I'll know more by the end of next week) so I'd probably want to debark there instead of Barcelona or Rome.  

Melody - about that travel agent:  I'm "scabbardgirl" and I'm part of the comcast.net universe 😉

Blue Bloods fans:  I haven't watched that for years.  I didn't realize it was still being produced.   I will say that my guilty pleasure, Real Housewives of SLC, started up this week.  It gives me a laugh as I've never met anyone in my almost-40 years here who dresses like they do.  Plus it's kind of fun to see local restaurants and businesses on there.  The one who was renting in my old neighborhood has moved to another rental just outside of town.  I know for sure of one store they filmed in last winter - I had some guests who wanted to go there and buy a shipload of expensive cowgirl hats because they saw the same store in Aspen on another RH show.  The store didn't let them in because they were filming.  I sent them across the street to a locally-owned store that had the same excellent hats and they are the ones who did the hats for Yellowstone.  Oh well. 

OOTD:  cool again in the house - 59 degrees when I got up.  So, sweatshirt & sweatpants again.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I've been poking around and the airfare from SLC to SJU is under $500.  The cruises from FL to Lisbon are a tad more than the NCL Viva one from SJU.  So, it's kind of a push price-wise.  Plus I can use miles to book.   My brain is pretty settled on Portugal (I'll know more by the end of next week) so I'd probably want to debark there instead of Barcelona or Rome.  

Portugal has a lot of possibilities. From Lisbon easy to get to Evora (charming place, easy to get there and back on bus in a day). Also you must visit Coimbra. Beautiful university town. Probably would be good to overnight there. They are where a lot of the beautiful ceramics you'll see all over Portugal come from. (I feel about them like you do about Italian ceramics, lol...). There are also some fab Roman ruins near Coimbra. 

If you're going around Portugal, be sure to look into staying at some of the wonderful pousadas (castles, monasteries, estates, etc. that have been turned into historic hotels).

• Like 2

Well, y'all, I feel like it's been forever since I was on, and looking at my last post (Aug 18), it was. So much drama/activity in my life since then.

Mom told us Dad (85 with Alzheimers) had fallen twice. She'd taken him to the ER once for irregular heart rate. Older daughter and grandson decided to fly to MO from CA to visit. While there, Mom took him to the ER again for irregular heart rate. DD told us we should go visit as she thought he wouldn't live much longer. Younger DD and I planned to leave the next day from NC, stopping in Knoxville to pick up our aunt (Dad's baby sister) until her husband decided he needed to drive her instead. We made the 13 hour drive with three stops, got to the hotel room, and crashed. 

Went to the hospital the next day. Mom confessed he'd fallen three times (probably more) and he hadn't been out for bed for two weeks. (!) *****?!? My brother and his wife arrive, followed by aunt and her husband. Aunt goes to visit her *one* remaining birth family member. She comes out to tell me and my brother what she observed. Her husband (always obnoxious and overbearing) won't let her talk. He goes on a tirade, she walks out. He keeps ranting at me (one of two family members that tolerate him).  Leaves, finds her, says he's going back to Kville and she can find her own way home. Long and short, we removed her from the situation, she's with me and DH, and they are not currently together. He wound up in a behavioral health facility and doesn't know where she is.

It's been very stressful helping her make baby steps to heal herself. And now I have to support both DH and aunt emotionally.

I need a vacation. Wait, I just had one. We went to Asheville. It was wonderful. Perfect weather. We drove the Blue Ridge Parkway one day, just drove from Asheville to Mount Mitchell stopping at all the scenic vistas. Soooo relaxing.

We cancelled our Yellowstone/GrandTeton adventure next month due to Dad's health.  The three drug cocktail seems to have gotten his irregular heart rate under control, but he's now in a nursing home for 20 days of daily PT to get him semi ambulatory again. I told Mom that if he was able to get from bed to wheelchair to recliner he would be doing amazing. Then we'd have to figure out how to get a wheelchair ramp. I know Mom is missing her friends and church, but she married him for better or worse, and as he said recently, they are getting old together.

In other news, the aunt is settling in well and has decided that cleaning is her contribution to our household. The pets have all accepted her, and she'd fitting in well.

I still have the time off next month. I may give part of it back and take the second week. Hubs and I are thinking about going to DC. I'd like to go to the Holocaust museum if we do, but he thinks it would be too emotional. I may have to go without him. 

Off to plan a vacation!

Our next cruise is next September-Norway for days. Can't wait! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Well, y'all, I feel like it's been forever since I was on, and looking at my last post (Aug 18), it was. So much drama/activity in my life since then.

Mom told us Dad (85 with Alzheimers) had fallen twice. She'd taken him to the ER once for irregular heart rate. Older daughter and grandson decided to fly to MO from CA to visit. While there, Mom took him to the ER again for irregular heart rate. DD told us we should go visit as she thought he wouldn't live much longer. Younger DD and I planned to leave the next day from NC, stopping in Knoxville to pick up our aunt (Dad's baby sister) until her husband decided he needed to drive her instead. We made the 13 hour drive with three stops, got to the hotel room, and crashed. 

Went to the hospital the next day. Mom confessed he'd fallen three times (probably more) and he hadn't been out for bed for two weeks. (!) *****?!? My brother and his wife arrive, followed by aunt and her husband. Aunt goes to visit her *one* remaining birth family member. She comes out to tell me and my brother what she observed. Her husband (always obnoxious and overbearing) won't let her talk. He goes on a tirade, she walks out. He keeps ranting at me (one of two family members that tolerate him).  Leaves, finds her, says he's going back to Kville and she can find her own way home. Long and short, we removed her from the situation, she's with me and DH, and they are not currently together. He wound up in a behavioral health facility and doesn't know where she is.

It's been very stressful helping her make baby steps to heal herself. And now I have to support both DH and aunt emotionally.

I need a vacation. Wait, I just had one. We went to Asheville. It was wonderful. Perfect weather. We drove the Blue Ridge Parkway one day, just drove from Asheville to Mount Mitchell stopping at all the scenic vistas. Soooo relaxing.

We cancelled our Yellowstone/GrandTeton adventure next month due to Dad's health.  The three drug cocktail seems to have gotten his irregular heart rate under control, but he's now in a nursing home for 20 days of daily PT to get him semi ambulatory again. I told Mom that if he was able to get from bed to wheelchair to recliner he would be doing amazing. Then we'd have to figure out how to get a wheelchair ramp. I know Mom is missing her friends and church, but she married him for better or worse, and as he said recently, they are getting old together.

In other news, the aunt is settling in well and has decided that cleaning is her contribution to our household. The pets have all accepted her, and she'd fitting in well.

I still have the time off next month. I may give part of it back and take the second week. Hubs and I are thinking about going to DC. I'd like to go to the Holocaust museum if we do, but he thinks it would be too emotional. I may have to go without him. 

Off to plan a vacation!

Our next cruise is next September-Norway for days. Can't wait! 

Wow. Lots going on!  Hope aunt & dad will be ok. Holocaust museum very heart wrenching. I’m so sorry you had to cancel Yellowstone after all your prep

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

Wow, Christy, rough couple of months!  Having to deal with aging parents and family members can be exhausting, I definitely think you need a vacation.  DC would be great, so much to do there.  The Holocaust Museum is a very emotional experience but very worth visiting.  While in Amsterdam, we were able to tour the Anne Frank House, also an emotional experience but amazing at the same time.

Hope everything remains calm!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Good morning girls, Christy, so sorry about everything you have had to deal with and I hope things calm down.....being the caregiver can be so stressful. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

So sorry to hear about all you've got going on currently. If it's one thing I've learned this year, it's that older family members can be going along just fine, and then all of a sudden, things like these come along and bring a lot of stress with them.

Good luck to you. Hope you find a nice short-term vacation to let you get some relaxation and fun.

• Like 3

Our daughter & SIL spent the weekend in Breckinridge. They had about 6” of snow last night which they enjoyed drinking wine in the hot tub!  

The Pikes Peak Marathon today had the course cut from top of Pikes Peak (14,115’) to Barr Camp ( about 6-7 miles up instead of 13.1 miles). Very disappointing for the runners, but so much safer for runners & volunteers. Melody

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hey, it's Fall!

Looks like they're busting out all the Pumpkin items. Anyone been on a TJ's runs lately? I'm not a pumpkin fan, but TJ's always seems to up the ante with new items in the fall....

I'm probably going on Thursday.  I have a big list of things to restock. I think it's going to be a "holy cr$p" kind of spend. 🙀  Being September, just some of the pumpkin things are coming out.  I've always been a fan of the pumpkin cream cheese (smeared on pumpkin bagels) and pumpkin soup (add a splash of maple syrup to it).  But other things seem to be too sweet for me.  More of the Fall things should come out with the October Fearless Flyer.   I will be picking up some small pumpkins and squashes to put out for decoration and later to give to the animals in the neighborhood.  

OOTD:  I'm doing a "Groundhog Day" kind of wardobe - again it's a sweatshirt and sweatpants, but different ones.  

• Like 2

Well, I got a call back from one of the food banks I had reached out to and they have a volunteer position open and I am going on Monday morning to meet them in person. Will see how things proceed but the gal on the phone was really nice and it would only be 2 days a week....9-1which is perfect.

Will let you know how things go.

• Like 3

Mom let me know today that PT got Dad up with his walker and he walked about 70 feet! Since he's been (mostly) bed-bound for more than a month, that's amazing! I had simply hoped they could get him to get up, transfer to a wheel chair, and to his recliner. This is awesome news!

In other stuff, it poured for my drive to work this morning. I was scared out of my mind, and not much bothers me driving. I can't remember the last time I had to follow the road markings rather than looking ahead to drive. 

I'm off work tomorrow, so I'm savoring a blackberry-jalapeno margarita and looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. The jalapeno is from our garden. There are still a dozen on the plant!

OOTH: Two-scrubs at work, and my "glitter is my favorite color" tee shirt and Target skort. I'm such a slacker on work days.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2024 at 1:56 PM, Lois R said:

Well, I got a call back from one of the food banks I had reached out to and they have a volunteer position open and I am going on Monday morning to meet them in person. Will see how things proceed but the gal on the phone was really nice and it would only be 2 days a week....9-1which is perfect.

Will let you know how things go.

Good luck. Volunteering at a food bank is a great way to volunteer some time. Hope it works out.

18 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Mom let me know today that PT got Dad up with his walker and he walked about 70 feet! Since he's been (mostly) bed-bound for more than a month, that's amazing! I had simply hoped they could get him to get up, transfer to a wheel chair, and to his recliner. This is awesome news!

That is amazing news! PT can be great if the patient is motivated. 

By the way, that blackberry and jalapeno margarita sounds killer. :classic_love:

• Like 2

Would you believe we are all panicking in ATL due to a hurricane? It's crazy. The hurricane is predicted to come right through the center of Georgia; by the time it reaches us it will be a tropical storm but they are predicting 7-9 inches of rainfall possible, high gusting winds, power lines down, etc. Everyone in the world is at the grocery store now, lol.

@Lois R is the storm expected to impact Jacksonville at all? My sister and BIL who live there are on a cruise far away.

• Like 1

I starting thinking of all you Floridians and Georgians last night when I started seeing the forecasts.  Just be ready - better safe than sorry!!  

PH - so heartening to hear that your Dad made progress at PT.  Little glimmers will get all of you through.

OOTD:  It's Groundhog day again...  I will get civilized tomorrow for the trip to my hair stylist and hopefully TJ's.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

My friend just outside Tampa says it’s pouring rain already 

Hi Melody, I am not surprised about that..........the storm is entering from that side so rains today would not be unusual. 

• Like 1