P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

All this horrible weather ,plenty of cuppa's and plenty of Holiday research 

has been the order of the day .

Which reminds me @Adawn47  Further to the other day ,Nationwide Travel 

insurance . I found out that their underwriter is being changed later this year .

You may remember me saying HF  was covered at the moment but when I 

checked out the provider taking over ..They do not cover me for HF .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SeaJane said:

We are currently staying in Polzeath (a couple of miles from Rock). We’ve eaten in the Mariners many times over the years, but have not been there since Paul Ainsworth bought it - he’s certainly put the prices up, but the food looks delicious. We’ve also eaten at Rick Stein’s St Petroc’s In Padstow on several occasions and found the lunch menu very good.

The weather has been windy with heavy showers for the last couple of weeks here and sadly we didn’t get to see the eclipse last night due to thick cloud. After last night’s storm, strong winds and torrential rain today is bright and sunny although still very windy. The sea looks spectacular, but it’s a day best enjoyed from indoors rather than walking the cliff paths! 

Good afternoon,  well the sun has made a welcome appearance today, but still very  blustery & a 10*-12* temp. So family  went back to E.P. to see bits .missed on Sunday.  Myself & wife went to St Issac.( port wenn) Doc Martin location.  We arrived quite early,to avoid  the later crowd,  had  a good walk up/ down,  a couple of coffee's ( in berts pub) took some photos (see below), and  returned  to Padstow  for a nice lunch overlooking the harbour. 

20240409_105913.jpg

20240409111000.JPG

20240409112851.JPG

20240409114408.JPG

20240409113223.JPG

20240409110522.JPG

20240409115448.JPG

20240409110535.JPG

20240409113658.JPG

20240409120857.JPG

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

insurance . I found out that their underwriter is being changed later this year .

Is that Aviva?  If so do you have their details as I do have their cover currently until January next year for my OH but wanted to see what their position is on myocardial bridging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is that Aviva?  If so do you have their details as I do have their cover currently until January next year for my OH but wanted to see what their position is on myocardial bridging.

Not sure I'm allowed to put links on for Insurance ?

Simply Google Aviva Travel Insurance .(co.uk)  and do a dummy booking with name .

Hope that helps 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

We’ve been very satisfied with the Nationwide flexplus travel insurance for many years. They paid out quickly when we had to curtail our holiday in Vietnam when the world was locking down 4 years ago.

I have just renewed our add ons which means we will be with UK insurance until next year however renewals after 30th April? will be with Aviva. We’ll have to see what health renewal costs are with Aviva if we continue with flexplus or not.

• Like 4

Just now, kalos said:

Not sure I'm allowed to put links on for Insurance ?

Simply Google Aviva Travel Insurance .(co.uk)  and do a dummy booking with name .

Hope that helps 

Thanks.  So you didn't actually check with Nationwide on their own line? Currently they are still selling the old company before 1 May. It's the agreement on their behalf I was looking for.

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks.  So you didn't actually check with Nationwide on their own line? Currently they are still selling the old company before 1 May. It's the agreement on their behalf I was looking for.

I did put other day to Avril that Nationwide would cover me through (UK) as 

they use now ,when I checked online but when I went on Aviva they do not cover 

my condition..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

my condition..

Sorry to be thick but to check Nationwide cover not Aviva is their a portal you used to check? Nationwide and Aviva direct policies will be different as Aviva is acting as third party underwriter.  Only the Nationwide medical check will say if Aviva will cover.

If Avril is buying now she will get a year with UK direct. She needs to do the check/open the account before 30 April.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to be thick but to check Nationwide cover not Aviva is their a portal you used to check?

No need to be sorry Mega  ,Blind leading blind here 😉

Even though I have a Nationwide account ,I used the Not a member portal .

This wanted to give me cover but under UK .

Try this form ,hope it helps .

https://nationwide.ukitravel.com/prospect/quote/people

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

No need to be sorry Mega  ,Blind leading blind here 😉

Even though I have a Nationwide account ,I used the Not a member portal .

This wanted to give me cover but under UK .

Try this form ,hope it helps .

https://nationwide.ukitravel.com/prospect/quote/people

Thank you.  Just did a dummy and it did accept myocardial bridge, now to see if Aviva will on 1 May.

Nationwide have said they negotiated the nearest contract to the one they currently offer.  It will get interesting if they dump all their loyal customers if Aviva narrow who they'll cover.

Incidentally All Clear cover my aunt for heart failure and she obtained that cover only 6 months after her disastrous Rome escapade.  She ha a full year for all regions save US/Caribbean for £570 including companion insurance and no excess.  They have been excellent.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, kalos said:

my condition..

Perhaps don't despair just yet.  I understand they normally do not cover over 75 year olds but from what we've been told by NW their arrangement with Aviva does, moreover without a additional charge.  So....... it seems that NW has negotiated different criteria.   

It's possible there could be a variation in the Health screening for NW customers too.  It will be interesting to get feedback once the first tranche of Flexplus customers renew policies due after the changeover day. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 😘

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Perhaps don't despair just yet.  I understand they normally do not cover over 75 year olds but from what we've been told by NW their arrangement with Aviva does, moreover without a additional charge.  So....... it seems that NW has negotiated different criteria.   

It's possible there could be a variation in the Health screening for NW customers too.  It will be interesting to get feedback once the first tranche of Flexplus customers renew policies due after the changeover day. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 😘

Yes, that's my take on it too.  It's a Nationwide policy underwritten by Aviva not an Aviva policy.  Aviva are one of the biggest providers of third party underwriting, doing policies for companies like M&S amongst others and every one has different terms of cover.

Unless Nationwide are deliberately trying to reduce the number having their Flexplus account for this perk they presumably have no intention to lose those customers.

• Like 4

Hello all, just back from Aurora yesterday (I have shared some thoughts on another thread if anyone is interested).

Just been catching up on all the news. Best wishes to those who have been poorly or are waiting on results. Jane I’m so glad you avoided a fractured skull, had one - no fun at all!

Had a good laugh at the offerings from our resident funny men, thanks.

Enjoyed the lovely pictures of where people have been, the robins etc as well.

This thread is a joy.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

@Eddie99 Thanks for your good wishes. I'm a tad worried about future health issues and didn't sleep that well last night. Good news is I feel much better today and had all stitches out pain-free.

@indiana123 I do hope all goes well for you on Thursday and I further hope you got somewhere to stay at a much lower price than you were quoted - which was a total rip-off!

@grapau27 Hope all is well for you at your checkup today Graham. I know it's rourine but still...good luck.

It's a horrible day here today. Fiercely windy and raining since early morning. Have a good day eveyone. Jane xx

Thank you Jane.

I was in and out of the consultants office in about 5 minutes.

She thought everything looked good.

Graham xx

• Like 20

Just now, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jane.

Graham xx

That's great news Graham. Even if you're expecting an "all clear" it's still a relief to have it confirmed by a Consultant. Happy for you. Jane xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jane.

Graham xx

Good news Graham, I’m so glad.

How is Sarah doing?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

One less thing to worry about mate , onwards and upwards 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Good news Graham, I’m so glad.

How is Sarah doing?

She seems happy.

Neither of her parents acknowledged her or replied to her emails or phone calls for the last 8 year's and didn't put her name in the city paper's Obituary for her dad but mentioned his friend instead which has affected her.

We were told by a neighbour that her dad told them he knew he was dying of cancer for 6 weeks but did not try to contact her to make up.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Jane.

Graham xx

Good news Graham,👍 that's what we like😊

Avril

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

She seems happy.

Neither of her parents acknowledged her or replied to her emails or phone calls for the last 8 year's and didn't put her name in the city paper's Obituary for her dad but mentioned his friend instead which has affected her.

We were told by a neighbour that her dad told them he knew he was dying of cancer for 6 weeks but did not try to contact her to make up.

I’m so sorry to hear that re her parents behaviours but great that she is happy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

Thank you Avril.

I hope Frank is back to good health.

He is thank you Graham. He's obviously not 100%, but he's getting there.

Probably because he's doing as he's told😉😁

Avril

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

He is thank you Graham. He's obviously not 100%, but he's getting there.

Probably because he's doing as he's told😉😁

Avril

I'm delighted for you both Avril.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope its ok to post on here as you all seem so close, I have followed you all for months and longed to join in.

I fully empathise with your Sarah Graham as I had a similar relationship with my own parents. I was never good enough. 96% in exams, why didn't I get 100%.? 

After my mum passed in 2007 only my dad had lost someone . . . I could write a book but I refuse to let it destroy or define me!!

I'm a young at heart 62 year old dog crazy, cruise lover and I really hope it's OK to join this thread?

Julie Xx

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1