Most people say don't cancel...wait for NCL to cancel and get a refund

schmoopie17

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

First, a credit card dispute accuses the company charging you of a criminal act.

Actually, under the Fair Credit Billing Act of 1974 (FCBA), you can dispute charges to your credit card account for a number of legitimate reasons, including fraud, goods and services not received, and goods that are not delivered as specified at the time of purchase. It is not exclusively for criminal acts.  There are many reasons a dispute may be filed, which include:

• Mathematical errors
  • Charges without the correct date or price
  • Charges that you did not authorize, and
  • Failure to receive a refund that you agreed upon.
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If you have any FCC or CruiseNext certs, you can't use them.

What are you talking about? Are you proposing they ban you from sailing, prohibit you from using your certificates, but not refund then? Wise up, mate.

2 hours ago, dockman said:

I was booked on april 3 jewel which NCL cancelled.

To this day still NOT ONE WORD from NCL or the OTA i booked with has been emailed to me.  I put in a credit card dispute  a week or so ago and got the prepaid tips portion back but still nothing on the cruise fare and port taxes.

I do not want an FCC.  I prefer a return of the cash I paid.

It takes time.    They are working on thousands of claims.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

LOL i was going to say something similar. Some people to dispute a point come up with the most ridiculous answers LOL

Seriously, can you imagine....

With Visa, I'd be like, they expect me to sail to Spain and Rome next month. My flight is cancelled and the countries are closed, but they won't cancel the cruise.

Visa would not be like.....you're a fraud, we are contacting the FBI, CIA, and the

M-O-U-S-E.

Hahaha. How foolish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have a cruise booked for 4/22, but clearly it won’t be sailing.  There’s no way I’m canceling because we also want our money back.  They’ll wait until the last minute before canceling.  They want us to get the FCC and then charge us additional money because the prices will obviously be higher.  Not happening for us. We already have vacations planned/booked for the next 2 yrs, so an NCL cruise is not an option in that timeframe. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blcruising said:

What are you talking about? Are you proposing they ban you from sailing, prohibit you from using your certificates, but not refund then? Wise up, mate.

Absolutely.  Not saying they will but they might have the absolute right to refuse any refund if you fraudulently make a claim.  When you make a claim, you may give up your right to a refund.  However, I suppose if you had CNs, you might be able to sell them.

https://www.elliott.org/blog/do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

Blacklisting

Consumers who file a dispute may get added to a chargeback black list by the merchant, prohibiting that customer from conducting future purchases. This would be a problem if the customer is a regular user of the merchant’s services. Sony, for example, bans users from the Playstation Network if they file a chargeback. The rationale is that the account is either:
  1. Compromised by identity theft, and should be closed to prevent more fraudulent purchases; or
  2. Belongs to a friendly fraudster, with whom the company doesn’t want to do future business.
Lack of Recourse

Lack of Recourse

Let’s say a consumer experiences buyer’s remorse over a purchase. The buyer should work through the proper channels by submitting a merchant return; instead, the individual files a chargeback, believing it will be faster and easier. The buyer has just committed friendly fraud as a matter of convenience. If the merchant disputes the chargeback and wins, however, the customer will have no further way to recover the money. Before, the buyer could have simply requested a return from the merchant and had the money refunded. However, the merchant will probably refuse to accept a return now that the cardholder’s been busted for filing false credit card dispute claims; there’s not much that can be done about it at that point.

24 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Seriously, can you imagine....

With Visa, I'd be like, they expect me to sail to Spain and Rome next month. My flight is cancelled and the countries are closed, but they won't cancel the cruise.

Visa would not be like.....you're a fraud, we are contacting the FBI, CIA, and the

M-O-U-S-E.

Hahaha. How foolish.

You signed a contract with NCL when you booked that clearly spelled out the cancellation policy.  If you try to go around that by disputing the charge, it is fraud.  If they cancel (and they will if they cannot provide the cruise), you will get your money or FCC if that is your choice.  NCL has provided a refund procedure and if you choose not to follow it, go for it.  How a fraudulent chargeback is handled would be between you, NCL, and the bank.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You signed a contract with NCL when you booked that clearly spelled out the cancellation policy.  If you try to go around that by disputing the charge, it is fraud.  If they cancel (and they will if they cannot provide the cruise), you will get your money or FCC if that is your choice.  NCL has provided a refund procedure and if you choose not to follow it, go for it.  How a fraudulent chargeback is handled would be between you, NCL, and the bank.

When all else fails, fall back on the legal contract... dot the I, cross the T. Turn a blind eye to basic logic and simple reasoning. If you need a contract to figure out what the right answer is in this situation, Lord help you. 

3 hours ago, dockman said:

I was booked on april 3 jewel which NCL cancelled.

To this day still NOT ONE WORD from NCL or the OTA i booked with has been emailed to me.  I put in a credit card dispute  a week or so ago and got the prepaid tips portion back but still nothing on the cruise fare and port taxes.

I do not want an FCC.  I prefer a return of the cash I paid.

Did you book directly with NCL or did you book with a travel agent.  If you booked with a travel agent, NCL will not notify you, the travel agent should.

Booked with a huge OTA.  Charge was direct to NCL  

One might think that you would at least get an email from OTA or NCL or both saying by the way your cruise is cancelled and we will be in touch with refund details.  How long does it take to write and send out an email like that to all impacted passengers?  Just a tiny bit of customer service can pay dividends down the road.

13 minutes ago, dockman said:

One might think that you would at least get an email from OTA or NCL or both saying by the way your cruise is cancelled and we will be in touch with refund details.  How long does it take to write and send out an email like that to all impacted passengers?  Just a tiny bit of customer service can pay dividends down the road.

Maybe check your spam folder?  I booked through a TA and got the following email directly from NCL for my March 20 cruise:

March 14, 2020
Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,
I’d like to share an important update about Norwegian Cruise Line’s response to COVID -19. With COVID-19
impacting communities around the globe, we have decided after collaboration with federal officials to voluntarily
suspend cruise voyages across our fleet, effective immediately. This voluntary action covers voyages with
embarkation dates from March 13 to April 11, 2020. We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations
beginning April 12, 2020.
The health, safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our highest priority. While we have not had any
confirmed cases of COVID-19 across our 17-ship fleet and are taking this measure in an abundance of caution, we
felt it necessary to do our part and contribute to efforts to contain the spread of the virus .
We greatly appreciate the understanding of our valued guests during these fluid , unprecedented and challenging
times.
Guests on voyages that are underway will conclude and guests will be disembarked as soon as possible and
assisted with travel arrangements.
Guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 18 to April 11, 2020 on Norwegian
Cruise Line are asked to contact their travel professional or the cruise line for more information.
· All guests on impacted voyages will receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise
credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022.
· For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid
will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at
www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus. The form will be made available beginning March 23, 2020. We ask
guests to wait to contact us regarding any refund until after March 23, 2020 as our reservation system will
allow us to accommodate their requests at that time.
Working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies, we are committed to taking all
appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19.
If you have questions regarding this matter, please contact us at (866) 234-7350, visit us at www.ncl.com or contact
a travel professional.
As always, your business is important to Norwegian Cruise Line and we appreciate your trust in us. We remain
dedicated to providing our guests with the best travel experiences across the globe.
Sincerely,
Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services
Norwegian Cruise Line

28 minutes ago, dockman said:

I'd call the travel agent and ask them why they didn't notify you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dockman said:

your travel agency is responsible for notifying you, not NCL. This should be taken up with them.

28 minutes ago, dockman said:

nothing in spam folder...ZIPPO

To:
Subject: Important Update from Norwegian Cruise Line

COVID LETTER.pdf

Search your email for anything from <donotreply@ncl.com>? Or March 13/14?
Look for wherever your attached files go on your computer?
Do they have your correct email address?
You are correct that it is simple to send out a mass email - and they apparently did.  Why you don't have it is anybody's guess.

Edited by julig22

Just wait for the cruise to cancel, all the travel sites are asking people to only phone in if your cruise is within 7 days, I rather just wait for NCL to cancel my April 30th cruise what they will have to do since they can't Dock in Vancouver.

I rather not waste my time, I know I am going to get a refund, maybe it will be cash(hopefully) or maybe it will be FCC, but panicking and trying to cancel right now won't change the final outcome. If you cancel now or in a month you probably will still get the refund at the same time. 

If I am a few days out from sailing and I still hear nothing then I will will start to call.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dockman said:

Read this.......

https://www.ncl.com/travel-alert/coronavirus

Guests who are booked on voyages with embarkation dates from March 18 to April 11, 2020 are asked to contact their travel professional or contact us for more information.
Guests will receive a 125% refund of the fare paid in the form of a future cruise credit, which can be applied toward any future cruise through December 31, 2022.

I certainly would start with the OTA. 

Edited by sharonna3

10 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

Just wait for the cruise to cancel, all the travel sites are asking people to only phone in if your cruise is within 7 days, I rather just wait for NCL to cancel my April 30th cruise what they will have to do since they can't Dock in Vancouver.

I rather not waste my time, I know I am going to get a refund, maybe it will be cash(hopefully) or maybe it will be FCC, but panicking and trying to cancel right now won't change the final outcome. If you cancel now or in a month you probably will still get the refund at the same time. 

If I am a few days out from sailing and I still hear nothing then I will will start to call.

Similar situation:

I live in Vancouver, supposed to sail from LA to Vancouver on April 19. Our border is closed, the ports are closed, our airlines have stopped flying internationally, there is no way the cruise is going ahead! I will wait until April 16 and then cancel under "peace of mind". We do have a September cruise booked and I hope to transfer FCC to that cruise - fingers crossed that one goes ahead

Just now, YVRBassElectric said:

Similar situation:

I live in Vancouver, supposed to sail from LA to Vancouver on April 19. Our border is closed, the ports are closed, our airlines have stopped flying internationally, there is no way the cruise is going ahead! I will wait until April 16 and then cancel under "peace of mind". We do have a September cruise booked and I hope to transfer FCC to that cruise - fingers crossed that one goes ahead

Exactly, got lots of time, I am sure you already made peace that you are not going on that cruise (as I have with mine) and no point stressing over it now and no point even thinking about your September one, the situation can change 100 times between now and then might as well also wait till the last minute to go(either you will go or you won't, but it is out of your hands now).

The only thing I am a little bit worried about is my Air Canada flight, I know they will allow me to cancel my flight that is not a issue but more with the flight credit that they seem to be only offering.

First I read it was good till end of this year, now I see since I booked before March 2020, it will be good till march 2021. Of course like most people I am not crazy about getting a credit (I rather they give the choice you can have a cash refund, or a credit with extra perks) but what is really getting me is these expiry dates.

They really should be making these expiry dates like 5 years or something, it can be hard to get a vacation request going for some people and when you got to plan multiple credits it will be even harder.

3 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Good luck actually getting any kind of cash refund.  NCL currently has 'refunds on pause'.  Even if NCL 'unpauses' refunds, they can delay those refunds for months if not years.  Just long enough for the inevitable Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

I would presume that you might have meant to say 'refunds on pause until 23 March'????

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

your travel agency is responsible for notifying you, not NCL. This should be taken up with them.

fortunately i already now know cruise is cancelled and that i will apparently have a choice of cash or FCC....

no desire to sit on hold with OTA...just won't be booking any more cruises with them...agree it should come from OTA who loves to get the commission from NCL but apparently thinks that is the end of their involvement...commissions are paid to agents party because the agent is supposed to handle dealings with the clients so cruise line doesn't have to hire more staff ...

25 minutes ago, chobo2 said:

Exactly, got lots of time, I am sure you already made peace that you are not going on that cruise (as I have with mine) and no point stressing over it now and no point even thinking about your September one, the situation can change 100 times between now and then might as well also wait till the last minute to go(either you will go or you won't, but it is out of your hands now).

The only thing I am a little bit worried about is my Air Canada flight, I know they will allow me to cancel my flight that is not a issue but more with the flight credit that they seem to be only offering.

First I read it was good till end of this year, now I see since I booked before March 2020, it will be good till march 2021. Of course like most people I am not crazy about getting a credit (I rather they give the choice you can have a cash refund, or a credit with extra perks) but what is really getting me is these expiry dates.

They really should be making these expiry dates like 5 years or something, it can be hard to get a vacation request going for some people and when you got to plan multiple credits it will be even harder.

I was lucky, our flight was booked with Westjet so we have 24 months