Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

American professional baseball.  We have just completed the rounds of playoffs for the two leagues.  The Philadelphia Phillies have won the National League championship, and the Houston Astros won the American League.  Starting Friday, they will play in the World Series.  Best of seven series.  My Atlanta Braves won last year.  EM

I love that the play off between two US leagues is called the World Series.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I love that the play off between two US leagues is called the World Series.

American Baseball, is played in North and South America, as well as Japan and Korea, and other countries. The Premiere leagues are in the US with Canadian Representation. The term 'World Series' was created in the early 20th Century where it could be fairly said it was a championship series among the best American Baseball Teams in the World. Until the 1950's most of the teams were in the northwest US where teams could travel from city to city by overnight trains.

In the late 50's with rapid Trans Continental Air travel, teams moved from the east to the west coast. The Brooklyn N.Y. Dodgers to Los Angeles, and the New York Giants to San Francisco. The Boston Athletics moved to Kansas City, and then to Oakland, CA. The Boston Braves moved to Atlanta. At the same time new Teams were chartered in places like Houston and Dallas. The Astro's were originally called the Colt 45s after the famed pistol, but when the Harris County, Texas Domed Stadium was built in 1965 It was called the Astrodome, and the Baseball Team that played there was renamed the Astros.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:48 AM, techteach said:

@buchanan101 So great to hear from you! We are in cabin 9052 in December. Take care of it for us and please tell us more. 🙂

I’ve just written a review under a new topic. Your cabin staff are absolutely fantastic. Say hi from Mr Halket and Dr Halpin; they remembered our names when saying hello every morning… impressive. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tonopah said:

All the hand made items we’re taking with us to Norway next week: Pullovers, hats, a headband, gloves, mittens, cowls, boot cuffs. Nothing fancy, just warm

No time better than a cruise to break out the woolies. I'll be taking my knitting with me when I get on board QM2 on 13 November!

On 10/26/2022 at 10:47 AM, Tonopah said:

All the hand made items we’re taking with us to Norway next week: Pullovers, hats, a headband, gloves, mittens, cowls, boot cuffs. Nothing fancy, just warm

We've had to pull all our winter gear out from storage also.  Not much call for wooly things in Brisbane.  Even winter days here are typically mid-20s C, and southern hemisphere summer is already here this week with 30-34 C each day in advance of our departure for London.  So I think Norway will be an "interesting" change.  I like the occasional holiday in the cold, although I'm quite glad to not live in it.

Will you be "shredding your axe" while aboard (guitar visible in the back right corner of your photo)?  😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Will you be "shredding your axe" while aboard (guitar visible in the back right corner of your photo)?  😎

MisterTonopah plays the guitar. He plays jazz. He also plays trumpet. Maybe he could start passenger jam sessions!

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 9:49 AM, Bigmike911 said:

In the late 50's with rapid Trans Continental Air travel, teams moved from the east to the west coast. The Brooklyn N.Y. Dodgers to Los Angeles, and the New York Giants to San Francisco. The Boston Athletics moved to Kansas City, and then to Oakland, CA. The Boston Braves moved to Atlanta. At the same time new Teams were chartered in places like Houston and Dallas. The Astro's were originally called the Colt 45s after the famed pistol, but when the Harris County, Texas Domed Stadium was built in 1965 It was called the Astrodome, and the Baseball Team that played there was renamed the Astros.

I think you meant to say that it was the Philadelphia Athletics who moved to Kansas City before settling in Oakland.

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

And the Braves went to Milwaukee before moving on to Atlanta…. EM

It's hard to keep track of the sports teams who kept moving around looking for greener pastures. Like the Cleveland Rams who moved to Los Angeles and then to St. Louis, and then back to Los Angeles. Or the Oakland Raiders who moved To Los Angeles, back to Oakland and then to Las Vegas. Or the Los Angeles Chargers who moved to San Diego, and then back to Los Angeles. 

@Tonopah I read about your transport difficulties and trust you’re enjoying dinner in London as I type (6:07pm London times, 10:07am  PNW U.S. time) Phillies won in overtime by one run. Crazy guy tried to attack Nancy Pelosi and put her husband in the hospital. How was getting through immigration at LHR? Do you have Global …Express? Are there signs of Halloween? I don’t know if its a thing in the U.K. like it is in the U.S. Take care - and thinking of you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Tonopah I read about your transport difficulties and trust you’re enjoying dinner in London as I type (6:07pm London times, 10:07am  PNW U.S. time) Phillies won in overtime by one run. Crazy guy tried to attack Nancy Pelosi and put her husband in the hospital. How was getting through immigration at LHR? Do you have Global …Express? Are there signs of Halloween? I don’t know if its a thing in the U.K. like it is in the U.S. Take care - and thinking of you.

We had a lovely dinner in a pub down a side street behind Marble Arch tube station. Excellent drinks and food. Not an American accent (except ours) to be heard. Not inexpensive, but real food, and it is London after all. 

Immigration at LHR was a breeze. We didn’t even see a human. Just presented our passports to a fancy machine. It opened the magic gate and voíla. Honestly, except for the transfer glitch the travel was excellent. The transfer glitch was more annoying than anything. We know our way around London and can get ourselves from here to there, but we paid for a service, expected a service, etc. Now we are ensconced in our lovely hotel room full of good food and alcohol, and trying to stay awake until an appropriate bedtime. Thanks for thinking of me. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

We had a lovely dinner in a pub down a side street behind Marble Arch tube station. Excellent drinks and food. Not an American accent (except ours) to be heard. Not inexpensive, but real food, and it is London after all. 

Immigration at LHR was a breeze. We didn’t even see a human. Just presented our passports to a fancy machine. It opened the magic gate and voíla. Honestly, except for the transfer glitch the travel was excellent. The transfer glitch was more annoying than anything. We know our way around London and can get ourselves from here to there, but we paid for a service, expected a service, etc. Now we are ensconced in our lovely hotel room full of good food and alcohol, and trying to stay awake until an appropriate bedtime. Thanks for thinking of me. 

You will get an extra hour’s sleep tonight because the clocks change.

• Like 1