Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Today we skipped our prearranged (and paid for) Harry Potter Studios tour. We just couldn’t wake up and decided it was best to just have a lie in. We went to the Imperial War Museum. We’ve been once before but only looked at the WWI exhibit, so we wandered through everything today. Very interesting War Games (video games depicting war) exhibit, and a moving and tragic Holocaust exhibit. 

The Central Line was shut down so we had to walk about 1/2 hour back to our hotel. It was lovely, overcast and cool. 

Tomorrow we get our (negative!) tests administered early and the have the rest of the day free. 

• Like 4

London is beautiful this morning. Sunny with blue skies. Our prearranged COVID tests were negative. PHEW. Cunard changed the requirements after we scheduled the tests but we decided to go ahead to be on the safe side. Now we have the whole day to wander and play.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Have you been to the Geffrye Museum in Shoreditch? Actually I think it has changed its name to something easier to spell but less memorable. Museum of interior or furnishing or something like that.

We ended up going to the Faraday Museum at The Royal Institute. Fascinating if you like science-y things. 

Mister took a picture of me waiting for a (nonexistent) lecture in a modern hall.

24 hours to boarding.

E3AE74FD-914B-4752-AB1B-DA50B0BD7290.jpeg

6ED05B08-BDCA-4D8A-86AF-09D1FC2942C2.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tonopah said:

We ended up going to the Faraday Museum at The Royal Institute. Fascinating if you like science-y things. 

Mister took a picture of me waiting for a (nonexistent) lecture in a modern hall.

24 hours to boarding.

E3AE74FD-914B-4752-AB1B-DA50B0BD7290.jpeg

6ED05B08-BDCA-4D8A-86AF-09D1FC2942C2.jpeg

One of the most underrated, but wonderful places in London is the Courtauld Gallery, Somerset House, Strand. An absolutely amazing collection of Art from Dutch Masters to the Impressionists and others. Its a very approachable up close collection. If you have spare time and are looking for something wonderful, I can recommend it, highly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

One of the most underrated, but wonderful places in London is the Courtauld Gallery, Somerset House, Strand. An absolutely amazing collection of Art from Dutch Masters to the Impressionists and others. Its a very approachable up close collection. If you have spare time and are looking for something wonderful, I can recommend it, highly. 

Similarly, the Wallace Collection in Manchester Square.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Have you been to the Geffrye Museum in Shoreditch? Actually I think it has changed it’s name to something easier to spell but less memorable. Museum of interior or furnishing or something like that.

Museum of the Home, I think. Looks interesting.

18 minutes ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Museum of the Home, I think. Looks interesting.

Thank you. Yes, it is fascinating. The inside shows you the interiors of London house through the ages, and round the back outside you get period gardens to go with them.

• Like 1

My last planned visit we intended to see the Florence Nightingale museum, plus my sister wanted to revisit Southwark Cathedral (her choir sang a concert there) and my favorite church, St. Bartholomew the Great in Smithfield.  But Covid cancelled the trip.  EM

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Nice to hear from you @Lanky Lad, hope you're having a lovely time despite the weather.

I am thanks. There are now chairs and tables in the photo gallery so I am sat doing the crossword. Well trying anyway. There are also games out and jigsaws.

The sea is much calmer today no white at all and the sun is out. Hopefully I might see some wildlife later. 

I am having lunch in the steakhouse today. Courtesy of Cunard. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LEESRE said:

Please keep on Lanky Lad about you being on Queen Victoria at present we have some family aboard who don't use the internet so good to hear what is happening.

Yes, indeed. It much too tantalising to say simply that lunch was very good, without giving any details.

• Haha 1

Hello from QV in Funchal. For anyone who is interested lunch in the verandah was clam chowder lemon sole and strawberry pavlova.  All excellent.  It was very busy but I don't think anyone was a paying customer.  

So far there has been a medical emergency.  No airlift so hopefully that means it wasn't serious. Today was a bit more serious. Soon after 8am a call went out for a first aid response team to the grand lobby. Not sure what happened but the section where the champagne bar was is cordoned off.  Also a horrible smell of burning. They soon had it under control. 

• Like 3