Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

6 hours ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

My daughter and I are on our first QV cruise on Wednesday (to say we're excited is a massive understatement) and like you, wondered about eating in Southampton rather than in the Lido as we have an arrival time of 2pm. Are there restaurants close to the Mayflower terminal?  We are parking at the terminal and can drop our suitcases off but will have hand luggage so don't really want to be walking too far.  If anyone has suggestions I'd be really grateful.

@Lanky LadI'm looking forward to reading your review.

The Mayflower Terminal is well inside the docks so there are no facilities close by. As my boarding time was 2.15, I got a sandwich and drink from Greggs and parked on Mayflower park to eat it.

• Thanks 1

I have been busy looking at cars (online). I have decided I want a Ford Puma. The only question now is new or nearly new. I want some extras and so far I haven't found the perfect used so I might have to compromise or get a new one so I can get exactly what I want. Decisions 🙄

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have been busy looking at cars (online). I have decided I want a Ford Puma. The only question now is new or nearly new. I want some extras and so far I haven't found the perfect used so I might have to compromise or get a new one so I can get exactly what I want. Decisions 🙄

May I ask, what is the waiting time for new? as I read somewhere recently that it was potentially 12 - 18 months wait for a new car. Hence, the demand for 2nd hand these days.

The value of my sons 2nd hand Volvo has gone up by over £4K in the last 12 months. Crazy. 

On 8/28/2022 at 7:53 PM, Lanky Lad said:

I have just posted my review of my short QV trip. The excursions are not up for my October trip so I can start to plan which if any I am going to do.

Nice review, I have to be feeling brave to venture into that section of the site ! Some of them are truly shocking ....

20 hours ago, ronpes said:

May I ask, what is the waiting time for new? as I read somewhere recently that it was potentially 12 - 18 months wait for a new car. Hence, the demand for 2nd hand these days.

The value of my sons 2nd hand Volvo has gone up by over £4K in the last 12 months. Crazy. 

I need to find that out. I am going to look into it in more detail tomorrow afternoon.

Sadly our beautiful cat Hazel died earlier today.
She had been in good health but on returning from gym this morning we found her dribbling, weak and in obvious distress. I ran with her to vets, which is nearby but diagnosis was untreatable heart & lung problem. After a brief discussion she was euthanised to prevent more suffering.
We have been concerned that her sister Carmel is losing her sight and not eating well. Now she’s anxious because her sister has gone. It will be a challenge to keep her healthy!

WP_20170516_12_24_06_Pro.jpg

1 minute ago, D&N said:

She had been in good health but on returning from gym this morning we found her dribbling, weak and in obvious distress. I ran with her to vets, which is nearby but diagnosis was untreatable heart & lung problem. After a brief discussion she was euthanised to prevent more suffering.
We have been concerned that her sister Carmel is losing her sight and not eating well. Now she’s anxious because her sister has gone. It will be a challenge to keep her healthy!

So very sorry for your loss. She was beautiful and was lucky to have you. 💔 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I need to find that out. I am going to look into it in more detail tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck with that. 

I was speaking to my BIL today and was telling me that he ordered a new car (VW) in early May and has been told he should get it end of Sep / early Oct. So its perhaps its not as bad as I first thought. 

31 minutes ago, D&N said:

So very sorry to hear your sad news. It is always really hard to lose a treasured pet. I'm thinking of you all.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, D&N said:

So sorry for your loss and what a beautiful girl. 

She was lucky to have you in her life.

We know from our own experience how hard it is when we lose our much loved furry members of our family. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, D&N said:

Very sad news.  I"m sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, D&N said:

So sorry to hear your news.

• Thanks 1

It’s not a nice day here with rain, although good for the plants and grass and the farmers will be pleased. 

Although it is two weeks until we leave, today we are making a serious effort on the packing front to get it done and out of the way. 

• Like 2

Carmel was distraught on Thursday evening, crying around the house looking for her sister. Her breathing/heartrate looked dangerously fast. That seems more normal now. We could hardly get her to nibble anything until Friday night into Saturday morning. She's eating some varieties of food fairly regularly now, but nowhere near enough to maintain weight. She's nearly halfway through a course of ACE Inhibitors for her kidney/blood pressure problems.

She'll eat the chicken and turkey versions of "Gourmet" luxury 50g pouches, but not the duck.

Looks like we'll have a large supply of duck to gradually mix with cheap food for our next cats.

Due to her current condition and her history with other cats we don't think it's a good idea to bring a new cat in to give her company.

We’re on our way to Liverpool for our cruise to Iceland and the Faroes tomorrow on Fred Olsen’s Borealis. Due to a closure of the M6 today we had a scenic tour of the back streets of Lancaster. Every single one of them. Courtesy of Sally Satnav.

We only booked it two weeks ago but last weekend I told my dad about it. He seemed interested and in a throwaway comment I asked if he liked the sound of that. His reply was, “Are there any cabins left?” Even before we had the answer to that question he had looked out his dancing shoes - now he just needs to remember where he left his dancing feet. (His words, not mine)

So now there are three of us, five suitcases a couple of carry ons, a suit carrier... squeezed into the car. (He doesn’t travel light - now I know where I get that from)

He’s not even been on his first cruise yet but he’s already looking at the QV round Britain next May!!! What have I started?

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

We’re on our way to Liverpool for our cruise to Iceland and the Faroes tomorrow on Fred Olsen’s Borealis. Due to a closure of the M6 today we had a scenic tour of the back streets of Lancaster. Every single one of them. Courtesy of Sally Satnav.

We only booked it two weeks ago but last weekend I told my dad about it. He seemed interested and in a throwaway comment I asked if he liked the sound of that. His reply was, “Are there any cabins left?” Even before we had the answer to that question he had looked out his dancing shoes - now he just needs to remember where he left his dancing feet. (His words, not mine)

So now there are three of us, five suitcases a couple of carry ons, a suit carrier... squeezed into the car. (He doesn’t travel light - now I know where I get that from)

He’s not even been on his first cruise yet but he’s already looking at the QV round Britain next May!!! What have I started?

Have fun - I hope you'll let us know how it goes!  I just looked at their website.  Some wonderful itineraries.