Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Today was our most ambitious hike so far; 16.85 km between rail stations of Anthéor-Cap-Roux and Théoule-sur-Mer, through the Esterel massif.
Went equipped with 2.5 litres of water and some filled brioche rolls and a little wine for a picnic. 1.5 litres of water was frozen to help keep everything else cool.
Was 30C+, hot and dusty. Kms 2 to 6 and a couple of kms towards the end, paths would be described as difficult; narrow, steep, loose surfaces and lots of trip risks. Making those bits slowest but most interesting and often offering more shade from sun. Highest point was 422 metres, but as we climbed up and down various hillsides the total climb was much greater.
Photos include start, various waypoints and views, picnic spot and end, where we look somewhat more dishevelled than at the start!
Hard going but quite satisfying, lots of striking views. But not the sort of thing you could do on a days activity from a cruise ship.

2022-08-01 Antheor to Theole.jpg

095441 start Antheor.jpg

101731 viaduct.jpg

110745 pillon.jpg

113154 barthelemy.jpg

113201 barthelemy.jpg

124729 viewpoint.jpg

124735 Islands nr Cannes.jpg

130305 picnic Col de Notre Dame.jpg

151434 end Theole.jpg

• Like 4

It was raining here this afternoon but boy, do we need it. So it was time for a bit more family tree detective work.

My latest head scratcher is a distant relative in Seattle for whom the phrase “the grass is always greener” would seem to have been written specially. There are lots of gaps still to be filled in but so far the story goes:

1954 marries husband #1

1958 marries husband #2

1963 marries husband #3

1964 marries husband #4

1968 marries husband #5

1969 divorced from husband #4

1971 marries husband #6

1974 divorced from husband #5

1977 marries husband #7 who turns out to be husband #2 again!

I then loose her until her death in 2006 but things have obviously not gone smoothly in the meantime because husband #2/7 remarries in 1997. And that’s only what I’ve tracked down so far.

Maybe @techteach could help me out a bit. Do you know if Seattle street names were changed slightly at some point and, eg. W 65th in the 1950s is really NW 65th today?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Lanky Lad We have never cruised Cunard, but are doing the TA in December. Then I booked another QM2 for the following July. Lots of not so great QM2 reviews, so I’m thinking of moving the booking to QV. So many on this forum love QV…Haven’t discussed this with DH —— so who knows.

13 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Lanky Lad We have never cruised Cunard, but are doing the TA in December. Then I booked another QM2 for the following July. Lots of not so great QM2 reviews, so I’m thinking of moving the booking to QV. So many on this forum love QV…Haven’t discussed this with DH —— so who knows.

I have sailed on QM2 16 times and on Queen Victoria three. I will tell you my honest opinion QM2 out shines the QV in so many ways. First it is a Trans Atlantic Liner, the only one still sailing. And a Trans Atlantic Voyage is a real treat.

Sailing into or out of NYC beats any other sailing experience I have had. Especially passing the Statue of Liberty early in the morning arriving, or sailing under the Verrazano Bridge leaving New York and wondering if the ship will actually fit is quite a thrill.

You will find it far more spacious than QV. It is far more elegant than QV. And, in my opinion it is the only real Cunard Queen. The restaurants and Grills on QM2 out shine those on QV. Being able to stroll the Promenade all the way around the ship on real teak flooring is a special treat. QV is some kind of synthetic floor. The library is larger. And the Queen's room on QM2 is an elegant special place where as on the QV it is just part of the ship with people passing through on their way some where else. 

I hope you will sail QM2, and then try the other Queens. But if you have only one opportunity, make it Queen Mary 2

• Like 3

@Bigmike911 Gosh Mike I’m not going to quit the TA in December. But, it is going to be an important measuring stick. If they can’t get the elevators to work from the QG on deck 9 by December then what the heck is going on? Elevators are a basic function, especially for a ship with cruisers over…____ fill in the blank. My hips make me feel 80 some days. I read that people like the QV for QGrill better. DH says it is all about the food, and for me the cabin is HUGE. I really respect your opinion and hope the TA in December goes really well. (I also read the Independence Day cruise was kind of a big party which is not DH or I in any way, shape, or form.) There is never just one chance. 🙂 By the way - we hit over 90F yesterday and I want you to take back your hot weather. Although, the rain on the sky light above the bed woke me at 5:00am this morning. That was a good thing! 

6 hours ago, techteach said:

@Bigmike911 Gosh Mike I’m not going to quit the TA in December. But, it is going to be an important measuring stick. If they can’t get the elevators to work from the QG on deck 9 by December then what the heck is going on? Elevators are a basic function, especially for a ship with cruisers over…____ fill in the blank. My hips make me feel 80 some days. I read that people like the QV for QGrill better. DH says it is all about the food, and for me the cabin is HUGE. I really respect your opinion and hope the TA in December goes really well. (I also read the Independence Day cruise was kind of a big party which is not DH or I in any way, shape, or form.) There is never just one chance. 🙂 By the way - we hit over 90F yesterday and I want you to take back your hot weather. Although, the rain on the sky light above the bed woke me at 5:00am this morning. That was a good thing! 

As you might just have gathered, I am a huge fan of QG on QV. I will write an objective view of her, post Covid. Can't do a QG comparison with QM2 because even though the few days each time I sailed solo with friends,  were really great, I'm not a fan of the ship's layout and so haven't any cabin experiences above Britannia.

I promise to be truly objective, with a bit of personal thoughts thrown in for good measure. If that helps you at all, I'll be very pleased. 🙂

• Like 2

We are off on QV in just under four weeks. I cant wait to be back onboard my favourite ship again.

We are also booked on QM2 in December. I love all of the Cunard ships. QV might be my favourite, but it is a close run thing. QM2 would come second.

I wouldn't worry about the bad reviews, make your own mind up. I'm sure you will love QM2, Techteach. I often wonder if people could possibly have been on the same ship as us when I read some reviews!

I have an admission to make - we are off on a 4 night Princess cruise next week 🤫All I can say in my defence is it was a very good deal! I have no doubt whatsoever that Cunard will very definitely still be our favourite line😅However, it will be interesting to try another line for once.

Really glad this thread is remaining. It made so much difference to me during the lockdowns and I continue to thoroughly enjoy reading about other peoples experiences around the world. Long may it last. Thank you Host Hattie.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Camgirl - Thanks for your post Camgirl. QM2 in December. We’re on the TA December 15th. Are we going to run into each other?

Sadly not. We are on for the cruise before you. 10th to 15th Dec, Christmas markets. My sister and her OH are joining us for their first cunard cruise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, techteach said:

I had a lovely trip on QM2 in May and I will be back on her again at some point I'm sure, maybe 2024. But I am a QV fan The two ships are completely different but are both great in their own way.

Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Like 2

Well at last, my renewed passport finally arrived today. Exactly 11 weeks from when I sent in the application via the post office “priority” service. 

Keep that in mind when it’s time to renew your one. 
I can now crack on and update our ESTA’s and visa applications etc for our September trans pacific trip.

• Like 3

That's a relief, I hope the visa applications are quicker.

I had a mildly frustrating day at work but then got home and couldn't open the front door! Fortunately Mr HH was only a few miles away so I dragged him away from his chess game with his brother and with a bit of brute force he managed to get it open. He's a bit miffed as he was on the verge of a great win but I wasn't in the mood to wait 😂

My day was a bit chaotic due to getting a message this morning to say that due to a power breakdown, emergency repair teams needed access to the power lines that ran above the horses field, and we needed to move them ASAP.  Easier said than done when 4 - very scared boys are all huddled in the top corner and did not want to come in easily. Anyway,...we got them moved,...... eventually.

Later in the morning, one of the repair guys told us that when they were able to climb the pole to review the problem, they found that the equipment had completely burned out and this must have went with a big bang sometime in the middle of the night. So, that explained why they were so spooky and were very reluctant to come down to the lower part of the field on the way out. Poor things.  

On another topic. 

We met friends yesterday who cruise a LOT but have never sailed with Cunard. We talked at length about our recent sailing etc on the QM2 and how much we enjoyed it. The main thing that is putting them off is the amount of negative reviews and comments etc on social media. Shame really, but they are going to have a good think about it as they want to sail to New York.  

• Like 1

@ronpes The negative reviews for the QE are really bad. There is a new video on YouTube re. QM2 from a very intelligent German cruiser, In Queens Grill suite, showing lights sideways in the hallways, people sitting in the halls to access internet. Cunard needs to wake up, take notice, and fix the problems. I care deeply and I haven’t even cruised Cunard yet.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, techteach said:

@ronpes The negative reviews for the QE are really bad. There is a new video on YouTube re. QM2 from a very intelligent German cruiser, In Queens Grill suite, showing lights sideways in the hallways, people sitting in the halls to access internet. Cunard needs to wake up, take notice, and fix the problems. I care deeply and I haven’t even cruised Cunard yet.

Can you post a link to that video you refer to?

25 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The planetarium screen has some lights missing in stand by mode 😂, give me strength.

I couldn't bear to watch any more.

He seems to be quite the videophile, raising concerns about incorrect aspect ratios and low resolution/pixelation seen on some of the TV programming. That was another "give me strength" moment for me.

I'll grant him concerns about two of the three D lifts being out of service during his entire voyage were justified. Fortunately @exlondoner has reported at least one of those D lifts has been repaired.

His criticism of the spotty wifi continues to be an ongoing concern for those who need reliable internet connectivity. Not sure if his impression is the situation is worse now than it has been in the past or if he is just offering his view that Cunard should be addressing that issue.