Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Some leftover FCCs have bought us a 3-day cruise in October, from Southampton to Hamburg on QM2.  Somehow it didn't immediately compute that the 3 day cruise is actually only one full day on board, but nevertheless, I'm excited.  First time in Britannia Club, which I'm also excited about.  After that we'll spend 10 days exploring southern and eastern Germany by car.  

Now, we both like dressing up, and happily pack a 3rd suitcase with formal wear when we need to, but our upcoming cruise has just 1 formal night, so I find myself in the embarrassing position of asking myself, do we really need to bring a tuxedo and long gown? After posting about a million responses saying basically "please try"  to people asking that same question.  We've always been purists, but I think some compromise is likely this time.  Don't tell anyone.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

After posting about a million responses saying basically "please try"  to people asking that same question.  We've always been purists, but I think some compromise is likely this time.  Don't tell anyone.

I think you're more than entitled to allow yourselves some latitude.

A 'dark suit' (probably sans bow tie), and a longish dress that travels well could probably be re-cycled for one or more dinners in Germany. Although it will be early autumn the evenings should be cool enough at that time of year.

My wife often nags me to do things without really knowing what the deadlines are for them.

The online printer that I use for our Christmas Cards usually offers substantial discount offers until nearer the festive season, when I imagine they see an increase in business.

So I spent Saturday afternoon working on the photo-artwork for this year's card and placing the order, which arrived this morning.  On checking previous orders I see that it was 8 days later last year and mid September the year before.  If we keep this up, I'll eventually be making the next year's card on Boxing Day!

At least I have a few months to write the addresses on the envelopes.

We can look at the sample that I've placed in a cabinet, to psychologically cool us down when it is warm. The subjects are sporting very nice fur coats.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Well my new laptop is still updating itself, good job I don't have to give my old one back for a while!

Is it remotely installing some sort of corporate "standard image"?

If so, I hope you have a fast connection!

Are we nearly there yet”?

Am sitting in the back seat and letting others take care of the driving for a change as we head off to stay at Pitlochry for the weekend for our visit to the Blair Athol Horse trials.
Always a great visit if the weather is kind with stunning countryside as a backdrop. 

Enjoy your weekend. 

“Anyone for Pimm’s”?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techteach said:

Sitting on the Celebrity Solstice waiting for our number to be called to disembark from Alaska cruise with grandson #1. It was nice, but I’m looking forward to December TA on QM2!

I had the same response when on board HAL Zuiderdam in early May (also in Alaska.) 

6 hours ago, ronpes said:

Are we nearly there yet”?

Am sitting in the back seat and letting others take care of the driving for a change as we head off to stay at Pitlochry for the weekend for our visit to the Blair Athol Horse trials.
Always a great visit if the weather is kind with stunning countryside as a backdrop. 

Enjoy your weekend. 

“Anyone for Pimm’s”?

Surely it has to be The Edradour Whisky when in Pitlochry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

Surely it has to be The Edradour Whisky when in Pitlochry.

That’s a very nice whisky - visited this small distillery when spending a few days in Perth quite a few years ago now. 

1 minute ago, Kynance said:

That’s a very nice whisky - visited this small distillery when spending a few days in Perth quite a few years ago now. 

We spent a very pleasant afternoon here today sampling the products. Hic !

Early night tonight I think for tomorrow. Lol

• Like 2

We finally had a substantial amount of rain here, in the early hours of Thursday and into the morning. Ironically, it occurred just after our hosepipe ban was introduced. The rainfall was sufficient to fill two and a half,  100 litre water butts. We have had the luxury of not watering the garden for three whole days now but we will need to do some tomorrow, even if it is just the pots and baskets. We’re working out what measures we can take when we go away early next month to sustain our plants  -  we can only expect our neighbour to do so much with just the watering cans. We’ve already invested in some large plastic trays to fill with water and sit the bonsai pots in.  We will get some more saucers to go under individual plants and some capillary matting which can be torn into strips and used as wicking.  I do hope we get some more rain in early autumn otherwise planting spring bulbs into hard ground is going to be very hard work. 

One week and a day until our long awaited Med cruise on QV and we still don't have a cabin allocated. I don't think we have had it left this late before. It wouldn't be a problem, except we can't view or change the bed layout yet, or access or print the tickets and luggage labels at all. I hope we hear soon.

Host Hattie, my son is currently on QV. He tells me that the Golden Lion was serving food on embarkation. I remember you, like us, often make this your first port of call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Or it could be from the Blair Athol Distillery in Pitlochrey. I still have a bottle of their fine whisky in my larder.image.thumb.jpeg.2786d8aaf9a462b695fa19b32b3386a9.jpeg

This is where we were on Friday afternoon enjoying one or three “Pitlochry Punches” which went down extremely well. 

• Like 1

Tested positive for covid this morning. Emailing with other folks we count 13 people. Thinking it might have been from excursions from 2 other ships from other lines. Very few of them wearing masks. As we’re discussed, it’s the chance you take when you decide to cruise. (We wore masks except when eating.)

• Like 2

I have just posted my review of my short QV trip. The excursions are not up for my October trip so I can start to plan which if any I am going to do.

It's a bank holiday here today and for the first time since 2021 I am not working. One of the advantages of my new job.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, Host Hattie said:

Thank you, that's good news. We'd discussed having lunch somewhere in Southampton and boarding later to avoid the Lido !

My daughter and I are on our first QV cruise on Wednesday (to say we're excited is a massive understatement) and like you, wondered about eating in Southampton rather than in the Lido as we have an arrival time of 2pm. Are there restaurants close to the Mayflower terminal?  We are parking at the terminal and can drop our suitcases off but will have hand luggage so don't really want to be walking too far.  If anyone has suggestions I'd be really grateful.

@Lanky LadI'm looking forward to reading your review.

We didn't get as far as looking I'm afraid. If you have a look at the Ports of Call board there might be some suggestions. If not, start a new thread. Lots of other cruise lines use Mayflower terminal so hopefully someone will be able to help.

I hope you have a great time, let us know how it goes 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We didn't get as far as looking I'm afraid. If you have a look at the Ports of Call board there might be some suggestions. If not, start a new thread. Lots of other cruise lines use Mayflower terminal so hopefully someone will be able to help.

I hope you have a great time, let us know how it goes 

I don't think there is anywhere sufficiently near the Mayflower Terminal that I would want to walk it with hand luggage. Or want to walk at all, really.

• Thanks 1