Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Yesterday morning as I opened the shutters in my bed room, I saw a deer grazing on my grass in my back garden. It came through the gap in the fence that the elm took out. I shooed it away. Later there were four in the yard. I cannot grow a number of plants in my front garden due to the beasts making lunch of them, and I have a number of plants in my rear garden that they would love.

What to do. I had a roll of brown netting that I usually use to cover the weep hole in the bottom of my pots. I unrolled it and it was large enough to cover the opening. I stapled it to the remaining fence side and bottom. It is about the same color as the fence, so hopefully they will think it is impassable. We will see. Repairs to the fence commence this weekend. 

17 hours ago, alc13 said:

My sympathies.  Have you tried deer spray?  Deer Stopper is effective here in Maine.

I have, but the near constant rain this year, washes it off, almost at once. About the only thing that gets rids of these beasts is when the come in contact with a vehicle on the nearby highway. The Herd in the neighborhood is over ten, with more coming every spring. One even gave birth between my house and my Burford Holly Hedge, right under my nose. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I have, but the near constant rain this year, washes it off, almost at once. About the only thing that gets rids of these beasts is when the come in contact with a vehicle on the nearby highway. The Herd in the neighborhood is over ten, with more coming every spring. One even gave birth between my house and my Burford Holly Hedge, right under my nose. 

Could you hire a wolf pack for a few days? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Does that make you a grandfather?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I feel your “deer” pain. Here’s a recent look from my front yard (back garden is fenced in). This guy was definitely posing for me. Note: I was in my car taking this photo. 

IMG_2450.jpeg

Edited by NE John
  • Like 4

Last year and before I sometimes saw deer in the neighborhood late evening or very early morning. But to the east they have cleared so much forest and built new housing that I wondered if the deer had left the area.  Nope.  This morning at 0615 there were five in my back yard.  Two large adults, one medium adult, and two babies.  EM

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 4:12 PM, ronpes said:

Great weather as we approach New York. The ship is wonderful as always. So glad we decided to do the return leg as well. 

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

Enjoy your day. I'm looking forward to March 2025 when I will be back on board. 

Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Thanks 1

Currently being dragged round Macy’s in New York. The boss (aka my wife) tells me it’s a great way to escape the New York heat and might have a look whilst we are there.🤦‍♂️😳

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

It is very hot today in New York. 
Glad we came off the ship for a wee while to stretch our legs but also looking forward to getting back onboard at 4pm and the sail away party at 5pm. 
Really enjoying the ship. 

Edited by ronpes
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ronpes said:

Currently being dragged round Macy’s in New York. The boss (aka my wife) tells me it’s a great way to escape the New York heat and might have a look whilst we are there.🤦‍♂️😳

A bit late now, but for future reference (unless you do this already). If you see anything you like, take photos of it and make sure to get a clear picture of the label including barcode. When you get home you probably find it cheaper online.

Edited by D&N
  • Thanks 1

A week of rain, some time heavy, some time drizzle, is finally over. Everything is growing. The lawn was not cut this week because of the rain and I have six inches of growth on some oaks planted in the last four years. Maybe they are just glad to be rid of the Elm. I am.

Tuesday, finally, the generator maintenance guy is going to come to see if the old generator can be put back in service, as a back up until the new one arrives. I have very modest hope for that. 

My ever blooming Azaleas which bloomed once this year, have flowers again, so there is good that came from the rain. I found a crawfish in the bottom of the pool along with a tiny frog, belly up. I got my long pool scoop to get them out and the crawfish had moved. I put him in a muddy part of the yard, to make a new home. Their nickname is MudBug, appropriately. The dead frog is in the rubbish bin. 

Next week, Sun, and welcomed it will be. 

• Like 2

Really enjoying the Olympics. I loved the opening ceremony also @alc13. Glad @ronpeshas arrived in New York, but I hate that huge Macy’s store. Does it still have the wooden escalator stairs? @Bigmike911 I’m glad the rain has let up and I hope that all of you with deer issues are able to handle them. We don’t have deer here in almost downtown Seattle, but we do have lots of bunnies and coyotes. Last Sunday we pulled up to church and a coyote came prancing across the street and headed to the open door to the sanctuary. Fortunately he decided it wasn’t a good idea and continued on his journey hoping to find more bunnies. Everyone have a good week!

• Like 2

The Generator. The generator repair man arrived to look the generator over. He was able to start it and run it, but the memory of the shutdown was erased when the battery ran out of juice. He turned the generator off and when he He turned off the street power to the house off, the generator automatically started up as it should.

The possibility is that the generator ran low on oil and shut its self down. He had to put a quart and a half of oil into it today. They had to service it in June and changed the oil and filter, and may not have filled it completely.

Long story, short, it is running now, and it switches properly when the street power is shut off. It is 12 years old, and I still plan to replace it, but we have a reprieve for now. Lead time on new generators is months long. We are slowly getting over Beryl, but I will take progress any day as a good thing. 

• Like 6

I had my physical yesterday and my blood pressure was abnormally high when first taken upon arrival. As we spoke about general questions, I mentioned how much I liked the British Ale with Fish and Chips recently on QE and my BP was magically restored back to120/78. 
Ahh…The therapeutic benefits of taking full advantage of a Cunard cruise.

• Like 6