Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

11 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Well it's Tuesday and we have another hurricane blowing into the Gulf of Mexico. This time Delta, the fourth Greek name this year. I believe a new record. ...

A bit off topic, but now that it came up: I think one reason why there have been so many named storms is the fact that detection methods have improved so much.  Many of the names were given to tropical depressions which never matured or came near any coastlines.  But they do give material too the media to discuss.

That said, this has been an unusually active year in the Gulf of Mexico.

16 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I have yet to cruise with Cunard but very much want to. The people who post here seem so delightful, genteel, gentle.

What a lovely thing to say, I hope it's not too long before you get chance to try Cunard.

Cases did seem to be levelling off in our county but we've had a jump again so I don't think restrictions will be removed just yet.

We've had more cases at work, one of my colleagues developed a cough at the weekend and got positive test results this morning.

My office sharer took part in a Union Zoom call on Monday but blotted his copy book by scratching my face during a Skype meeting yesterday. Fortunately it was only audio and I was on mute at the time 😅. I'll be glad to be at work for the rest of the week.

IMG_20200929_161649141.jpg

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A bit off topic, but now that it came up: I think one reason why there have been so many named storms is the fact that detection methods have improved so much.  Many of the names were given to tropical depressions which never matured or came near any coastlines.  But they do give material too the media to discuss.

That said, this has been an unusually active year in the Gulf of Mexico.

Yes, that is clearly the case. Many of the tropical depressions got names this year and then did squat. But you are also correct this is the worst Gulf year in my memory and  I am 76.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:35 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

Just don’t ask about the dress code. That’s when you find out what we’re really like 😂.

I don't much care about that. I'd just do whatever is preferred. Not worth being disagreeable over. However, I'd have 15+ pounds of lazy covid fat to take off so that I could fit in my dressy clothes.

We awoke to a fabulous view in the vale with the mists “suspended” and the autumn colours ablaze. Sadly, it was raining again by lunchtime. 
Today we should have been boarding QM2 in NY after a stay in the city. We were so looking forward to this and the 3 days in Quebec City, before sailing for home to arrive at end of October. How things change!☹️
At least we have the luxury of living in a village in a beautiful part of the south west. Social distancing no problem and practised by all,  but this does not make up for the lost holidays/cruises.

Hi everyone - After my Cornish trip my other half & I have been back at work for a couple of weeks (working from  home that is). When we went away it felt like the very end of summer - when we came home a week later it felt like autumn had arrived.  1 October came and my OH was happy - this is the day I arbitrarily decide we can put the central heating on in the evenings! He was even happier when this week we switched from the summer to the autumn duvet! (Mind you, I am finding it too warm.). To celebrate, I treated us to a mini Christmas cake from M&S last Saturday (does that make me the first person to mention the season of Yule on this thread?? 😆)  I’ve also booked my Christmas groceries click & collect slot from Waitrose - normally I wouldn’t be thinking about the festive season so early but I decided that having something else to look forward to in the not too distant future would be a good idea at this time. (I’m still not tempted to book a cruise, despite the attractive little Cunard promo dropping through the letter box this week.)

I have been cheered with a nice bit of autumn colour in our garden - a couple of our miniature acers have really put on a show - they don’t normally produce anything quite so striking - even though the leaves are starting to fall now, they still look beautiful on the ground. 

Hope you all have a good weekend. 

94970EB0-6F18-498D-A748-180D5573DCC1.jpeg

67CB5843-ACB8-46C0-B080-1C310836B63F.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kynance said:

Hi everyone - After my Cornish trip my other half & I have been back at work for a couple of weeks (working from  home that is). When we went away it felt like the very end of summer - when we came home a week later it felt like autumn had arrived.  1 October came and my OH was happy - this is the day I arbitrarily decide we can put the central heating on in the evenings! He was even happier when this week we switched from the summer to the autumn duvet! (Mind you, I am finding it too warm.). To celebrate, I treated us to a mini Christmas cake from M&S last Saturday (does that make me the first person to mention the season of Yule on this thread?? 😆)  I’ve also booked my Christmas groceries click & collect slot from Waitrose - normally I wouldn’t be thinking about the festive season so early but I decided that having something else to look forward to in the not too distant future would be a good idea at this time. (I’m still not tempted to book a cruise, despite the attractive little Cunard promo dropping through the letter box this week.)

I have been cheered with a nice bit of autumn colour in our garden - a couple of our miniature acers have really put on a show - they don’t normally produce anything quite so striking - even though the leaves are starting to fall now, they still look beautiful on the ground. 

Hope you all have a good weekend. 

94970EB0-6F18-498D-A748-180D5573DCC1.jpeg

67CB5843-ACB8-46C0-B080-1C310836B63F.jpeg

Your Acers look wonderful. With the late August heat wave here most of mine just look cooked. I do have one healthy still green on in the front Garden that is getting ready to put on it's show.  And interestingly you are not the first person to begin to plan for the holidays. I have ordered my Thanksgiving organic pre-brined fresh turkey, the jars of steamed French Chestnuts, for Thanksgiving dressing, and for the Christmas cream of Chestnut soup. Fortunately we can still pretty much go to the grocery market on an ad hoc basis, so much of the shopping will be last minute. I did get a very good price on Veuve Clicquot le Grande Dame, and received three bottles for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years eve from a wine shop in Napa. And yes making plans even a bit ahead does bring some comfort and joy. 

This year I expect there will be Trick or Treating in the neighbor hood as there are a number of young  families with small kids. I ordered the candy, spooky back rubber gloves and 300 zip plastic sandwich bags. In years past I would simply offer my Black and Orange painted Fortnum and Mason wicker basket filled with candy and allow them to take a hand full. This year they will be pre-bagged, and handed out with me wearing rubber gloves and my Halloween Gaitor Mask.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Your Acers look wonderful. With the late August heat wave here most of mine just look cooked. I do have one healthy still green on in the front Garden that is getting ready to put on it's show.  And interestingly you are not the first person to begin to plan for the holidays. I have ordered my Thanksgiving organic pre-brined fresh turkey, the jars of steamed French Chestnuts, for Thanksgiving dressing, and for the Christmas cream of Chestnut soup. Fortunately we can still pretty much go to the grocery market on an ad hoc basis, so much of the shopping will be last minute. I did get a very good price on Veuve Clicquot le Grande Dame, and received three bottles for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years eve from a wine shop in Napa. And yes making plans even a bit ahead does bring some comfort and joy. 

This year I expect there will be Trick or Treating in the neighbor hood as there are a number of young  families with small kids. I ordered the candy, spooky back rubber gloves and 300 zip plastic sandwich bags. In years past I would simply offer my Black and Orange painted Fortnum and Mason wicker basket filled with candy and allow them to take a hand full. This year they will be pre-bagged, and handed out with me wearing rubber gloves and my Halloween Gaitor Mask.

We are just leaving small plastic baggies filled with wrapped minis on our front porch -with a large sign saying “JUST TAKE ONE - I AM WATCHING YOU”  (the “I” being a large skeleton off to the side with glowing eyes and a twitching hand.  My wife convinced me to leave off the “AND I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE”).

• Like 2

I ordered a Christmas cake as part of this week's grocery delivery, it was on special offer which seemed a bit odd !

Halloween isn't a particularly big deal here, we usually have some sweets available just in case anyone rings the doorbell but I don't think they have since we moved to the village.

The sun is out but it's windy and definitely Autumn now. Our restrictions are staying for another week at least, they haven't climbed as much as other areas but they're not really falling either.

Have a good weekend everyone

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

OK. So since the subject has already been mentioned...

I'm looking for ideas for this year's Christmas cakes?

The holly wreaths were 2019, and the snowmen 2018.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

OK. So since the subject has already been mentioned...

I'm looking for ideas for this year's Christmas cakes?

The holly wreaths were 2019, and the snowmen 2018.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

I am impressed. Those are beautiful and creative. I usually just bake my “famous” zucchini bread for Holiday occasions.

20 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I usually make two or three each year. But I'm seriously stuck for an idea this year.

Have you made any “Snow Globe” Christmas cakes before? I’ve seen some fun ideas online for those... just a thought. You could get creative with your scene within the globe 😊

1 hour ago, naturelovergirl said:

Have you made any “Snow Globe” Christmas cakes before? I’ve seen some fun ideas online for those... just a thought. You could get creative with your scene within the globe 😊

I had considered a snow scene last year. Snow covered trees, frozen pond, ice skaters, etc.

An edible globe would be an interesting challenge. I’ll give that some thought. Thanks

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 1

@Bigmike911 - that you for the compliment about our acers. I think  the colour may be down to a combination of the hot weather & us having more time to give them some TLC.

I have now ordered a turkey for Christmas, together with pigs in blankets & chestnut stuffing balls.  My other half says I am obsssed with internet food shopping - but it’s only down to the current circumstances. 

Talking of which,   @Colin_Cameron - as a suggestion for your cake, how about a mask-wearing Father Christmas and his socially-distanced reindeer pulling a sleigh laden with gifts of a Covid vaccine...? 😆.

Seriously though,  your  2018 & 2019 cakes look fabulous - I hope you’ll share a photo of the 2020 one in due course. 🎅🏻🎄

Edited by Kynance
Pressed save too soon!
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, alc13 said:

Christmas cake! 

Does anyone make theirs?

My wife always made a “Buche de Noel”  - (very light) and a classic plum pudding with hard sauce (heavy as sin) with traditional embedded fortune-telling tokens. This year, we may just do a small Buche, as we are likely to be just the two of us - the first time in I do not know how long.

10 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Thank you.

I will. Assuming Christmas even happens this year.

Fear Not Christmas definitely will happen this year, it has to I have a bunch of new ornaments for the tree, five from Halcyon Days, four from Thomas Jefferson Foundation Shop and two from Gumps, the famous San Francisco Store that rose from the dead this year. 

• Like 1