Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Well, I took another step toward a 2021 voyage. Currently I am booked on a 10 day westbound from Hamburg on 22 July. The final payment for that is due in late March a little more than five months from today. By that date, I will have to be convinced that it is going to be possible to actually travel to Europe and the UK. As a back up I called my travel agent initially to see if she had the 2022 voyages available.

And to check the status of my Future Cruise Deposit, from the 2020 voyage I canceled last March. In order to see the status she had to make a test booking. We decided on the 12 November 2021 Westbound nine day. My Future Cruise Deposit was not in my account. She called Cunard and found out it had expired four days ago. They reinstated it and we made the booking. The only confirmable Q4 was on the starboard side, so we did a Q4 guarantee which means I have a three in six chance of getting a port cabin, We are talking about November, so I would really like port. The Nine day November is $3000, more expensive than my ten day summer voyage in July. I guess Cunard is seeing pretty good action on late 2021 voyages. And no free drinks and only $400. obc. which should be fine. I was surprised about the price. So I have until 15 July 2021 to pay the balance due. By then we should know if travel is even possible. 

Happy Friday again, our local lockdown has been extended for another week at least and our First Minister talked about a 2 or 3 week circuit breaker which might be announced on Monday. All rather depressing .....

We'd already booked to go to the pub for dinner tonight, might be our last chance for a while.

31 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Happy Friday again, our local lockdown has been extended for another week at least and our First Minister talked about a 2 or 3 week circuit breaker which might be announced on Monday. All rather depressing .....

We'd already booked to go to the pub for dinner tonight, might be our last chance for a while.

Enjoy Dinner. These days small pleasures make all the difference. Good Luck Hattie. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

And he's just banned people from tiers 2 and 3 from England travelling to Wales with effect from 6pm today. A bit short notice! 😞

Lancashire has moved to Tier three.  The problem is the rules will only work if people actually follow them.  It is not rocket science to work out that the less people mix with others, the less chance there is for the virus to spread.

I have had a few job interviews lately but so far no success.  The search continues.

I posted earlier about booking a trip for 12 November, 2021 and commented that it didn't have the free drink package nor the prepaid gratuities. I thought that I had seen that on the voyage information but unlike the past it was not on my confirmation. I called my travel agent and she confirmed that both were on her records. I guess Cunard are not putting these on the confirmation so they can skip  it if they want to. She sent me a screen grab from her system so that I would have confirmation. Very interesting. 

Just now, Bigmike911 said:

I posted earlier about booking a trip for 12 November, 2021 and commented that it didn't have the free drink package nor the prepaid gratuities. I thought that I had seen that on the voyage information but unlike the past it was not on my confirmation. I called my travel agent and she confirmed that both were on her records. I guess Cunard are not putting these on the confirmation so they can skip  it if they want to. She sent me a screen grab from her system so that I would have confirmation. Very interesting.

We have entered the early voting season here, and I went to vote on Thursday. Masks, Social Distancing, wearing a finger covering (I had rubber gloves) and lots of sanitizer. It took me 35 minutes from the end of the queue, til I was out the door finished. In 2018 there were 285,000 registered voters in my county and as of yesterday 48,000(3 days) have already early voted. We have two plus weeks of early voting to go, and the polling places will be open from 7 to 7 six days per week, and the Seven days per week beginning Monday. This is going to be a very interesting election.

Hello again from Central Florida-

All is well for us. We continue to wear our masks and keep smart in these strange times. We also keep enjoying socially distant in the outdoors, a pastime which is easily accomplished with FL weather. We take many good walks, bike rides, and hikes.

We also voted in our election- opting for an absentee ballot which we masked up and dropped off at our elections headquarters office- they had a wonderful contactless box at the headquarters for citizens to drop off their ballots at the headquarters. Very nice, especially in these times.

As the holidays approach for us (American Thanksgiving and then Christmas) it is obviously going to be very challenging for our families- We both have elderly high-risk loved ones... and it is shaping up to be a very different holiday season for all of us. I think that my parents and I are trying to keep our chins up about it all... but there are just things that obviously are not going to happen this year for my family. It's not the worst thing our family has faced (for we have unfortunately experienced great tragedy in my family), and so we do have perspective about all of this. We will keep reminding ourselves to keep perspective when times get tough.

We keep hoping for a vaccine... and look forward to the day where we can enjoy some "normal" existence.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

To be fair, he's been talking about it all week.

I had heard about the circuit break which he is going to announce on Monday but what he has done today is the first I knew about a few hours ago.

2 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Lancashire has moved to Tier three.  The problem is the rules will only work if people actually follow them.  It is not rocket science to work out that the less people mix with others, the less chance there is for the virus to spread.

Unfortunately some people don't seem to get this, i.e. the "covidiots" in the streets in Liverpool the other night.

9 hours ago, Ray66 said:

I had heard about the circuit break which he is going to announce on Monday but what he has done today is the first I knew about a few hours ago.

Unfortunately the UK press don't cover Welsh news particularly well.

@Bigmike911 we had a lovely meal thanks, we both had the fish and chips as it's the one thing that's difficult to replicate at home. They have done a great job of making the place feel safe. They will carry on with takeaways/deliveries if they have to close.

@Lanky Lad good news about the interviews, it's certainly a challenging time to be job hunting. Fingers crossed.

Interesting to hear about all the early voting, I think it's fair to say the world is watching with great interest !

• Like 2

Hello everyone

My aunt, who visited us 2 weeks ago, lives in the Essex County Council area which has just gone into tier 2 - at the request of local leaders, even though cases are lower there than in many locations still in tier 1. However, I imagine that this is pre-emptive action to try to bring the numbers of Covid cases right down. It will be interesting to see what happens and what the position is there, closer to Christmas. For those of you unfamiliar with the geography, Essex lies due east of London - all London boroughs have now gone into tier 2 as well.  It is my aunt’s birthday today and she is understandably miffed as the move has affected her birthday plans. She looks after one of her grandchildren on a Friday but this sort of arrangement can still continue under the rules. 

Here in west Berkshire, the number of confirmed cases has actually dropped over the past 7 days but this may be more down to luck than anything else. However, overall, our cases remain low compared to many surrounding areas for now. Fingers crossed this continues. 🤞🏻

I’ve booked tickets to visit a nearby National Trust property tomorrow. We are members but the Trust is managing numbers by using timed tickets. It will be our first time at an NT property since before lockdown and I’m hoping for an enjoyable Autumn walk through the woodland at Basildon Park. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, Host Hattie said:

As a Welsh expat and a lot of friends and family down in Cardiff and the Vale still, I kind of feel sorry for you all. Coming from England it does feel as if the WAG has to be seen to be doing more than Westminster, regardless whether it's the right choice (for which I'm not entirely convinced lockdowns are personally).

I've heard rumours that places in Wales will be closing at 6pm on Monday, but nothing concrete nor from a reputable source.

On a better note, my wife (who also posts on here occasionally!) has successfully taken our puppy through the first round of his puppy training, and I've got a new bike so getting back into mountain biking. Got to somehow fit into my suits and dinner jacket by June next year for a TA (NY to Soton) we have booked!

I have just brought my husband home from the hospital, after having a total hip replacement. I was allowed to visit him for a few hours a day, but every precaution was taken; distancing, mask wearing, temp check etc. Our numbers seem to be lower than before, but that will probably change as everything is open 100% once again.

We are still planning to be on the QV for a World cruise Jan. 2022. Hope it happens.

I woke up to a frosty morning, but the sun is out and temps are expected in the high 50s (about 10C).  The fall colors are about half over; a few bright red maples are still to be seen.  I realized I'm not quite ready for winter yet.  Don't know who to speak to about this.

I stopped by my town hall last week and voted.  I have always loved voting.  I have mixed feelings about early voting because late changes can happen, but it is a really helpful option this year because of the pandemic.

Mr Alc admitted he doesn't always love my dinnertime recipe choices, which tend towards vegetarian, whole grains, and Asian spices.  So I'm on the hunt for what I think of as home-cooking food.  Last night we had chicken enchiladas, made with meat from a supermarket roast chicken and a jar of enchilada sauce.  It was a hit. 

Hope everyone is well.

Mr Alc is brave ! Mr HH has taken his Mother to close up her caravan in Pembrokeshire for the winter. It's one of the "reasonable excuses" for leaving the county. I had a go at making the Cunard bakewell muffins being discussed in another thread. They won't win any beauty prizes but the one I had to check them tested good.

Strictly Come Dancing started last night, it's one of my winter highlights.

43 minutes ago, alc13 said:

I woke up to a frosty morning, but the sun is out and temps are expected in the high 50s (about 10C).  The fall colors are about half over; a few bright red maples are still to be seen.  I realized I'm not quite ready for winter yet.  Don't know who to speak to about this.

If you do connect with someone in authority who is willing to take action, please pass along my concerns about the shortening days and waning warmth .

We had frost last night - it might trigger colors, but somehow the sugar maples seem to be just turning dull brown so far.

Sent in ballot by mail the other day- without disclosing choice, I must acknowledge disappointment in both partys’ choices.  I have found a larger than usual number of people this year are saying they have not made up their minds — which is utter blather: they just do not want to have to defend their position.

I think the bears have the right idea - eat all you want for a while, then sleep through the winter;  or else the birds - just go someplace warm.

27 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think the bears have the right idea - eat all you want for a while, then sleep through the winter;  or else the birds - just go someplace warm.

In the meantime, plenty of fleece and flannel.

Was it you who first mentioned Two Not Touch, the stars puzzle in the NYT?  I found the site, which offers an online version, and am addicted.  Such a terrific game - thanks for the tip. 

1 hour ago, alc13 said:

In the meantime, plenty of fleece and flannel.

Was it you who first mentioned Two Not Touch, the stars puzzle in the NYT?  I found the site, which offers an online version, and am addicted.  Such a terrific game - thanks for the tip. 

It does pass the time - I always print out two — either to get a clean start after hopelessly messing up or, if I do get it right, to set aside for a few days later when it is as good as a new challenge.

I had a hotel booked in Southampton for my December crossing.  Although my cruise was cancelled, I was still thinking of going but now I am in tier 3 lockdown (New UK rules) I can't travel.  The good news is the hotel will let me change the booking.  As I am due on QV in September 2021 I need a hotel in Southampton so that will be useful.

2 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I had a hotel booked in Southampton for my December crossing.  Although my cruise was cancelled, I was still thinking of going but now I am in tier 3 lockdown (New UK rules) I can't travel.  The good news is the hotel will let me change the booking.  As I am due on QV in September 2021 I need a hotel in Southampton so that will be useful.

I am glad it worked out for you LL. Let us hope by September 2021 Cunard is back to sailing, actually I hope it is July for my westbound, but that is looking iffy. And good luck on the Job Hunting.