The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

40 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

And the winner is …. THE HAIRDRYER!  ( although I’m sure an iron would have accomplished the same thing). The heat sort of melts the glue, and bit by bit I was able to carefully pull it off.

And here, all this time, I have been avoiding this project because I didn't want to haul out the iron and the ironing board.

Time to get it over with!

Thank you, Jim.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And here, all this time, I have been avoiding this project because I didn't want to haul out the iron and the ironing board.

Time to get it over with!

Thank you, Jim.

You have to get the tag off between cruises.  Otherwise, you'll have to go looking for your laundry!

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Problem is, we have a five day Denali extension before we board, and this sweater is a layering piece that I will be wearing before boarding.  

Ha hah! Glad you got it figured out, but I was going to say that you needn’t worry about being fashionable in Alaska. I say this having lived there a few years. 😉

https://www.alaskavisit.com/blog/post/wilderness-woman-bachelor-auction/?asset=1450-ig-1553989640388755191_26678897

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Ha hah! Glad you got it figured out, but I was going to say that you needn’t worry about being fashionable in Alaska. I say this having lived there a few years. 😉

https://www.alaskavisit.com/blog/post/wilderness-woman-bachelor-auction/?asset=1450-ig-1553989640388755191_26678897

Oh, Linda.  I always insist on being fashionable.  Tomorrow we are going to REI to pick up more cutting edge fashionable items for the trip.  😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

You have to get the tag off between cruises.  Otherwise, you'll have to go looking for your laundry!

But you know, the opposite also occurred to me.  If I left that 6009 tag on and had the sweater cleaned again, this time we are in 6008. Might be confusing to the laundry.  

21 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

But you know, the opposite also occurred to me.  If I left that 6009 tag on and had the sweater cleaned again, this time we are in 6008. Might be confusing to the laundry.  

That would be a fun way to get to know your neighbours! 🙂

And may I just give a shout out to photopro2, who started this thread for virtual friends to get together during hard times.  It’s still relevant today!  And where I always come for random questions.  Thank you!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 5

we have tags from our WC (laundry was FREE)  and I smile every time I put an item on!  That cruise spoiled us beyond measure.

We are going to be on River Ships/extensions  for about 6 weeks this fall and I will miss the free launderettes but will again enjoy someone washing our clothes!  I wonder why Viking Longships don't have a couple machines on the River Boats.  Prices are higher too...captive audience.

• Like 1

they could turn a  cabin into a nice laundry room....hahah....and loose revenue on 2 fronts loose cabin costs AND laundry fees!

I think I read somewhere that Uniworld does have  them on some of their ships but I am not sure.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

And the winner is …. THE HAIRDRYER!  ( although I’m sure an iron would have accomplished the same thing). The heat sort of melts the glue, and bit by bit I was able to carefully pull it off.  Thanks, everyone, and Jim, I owe you a drink.

1730D6DB-BDE4-4557-9D52-09C31047A044.thumb.jpeg.b29dfa9c50b4bb41347b86c685f5c4ac.jpeg

Glad it worked.  Been getting out of sticky situations all my life.....🥃

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you!

You are most welcome!!

I'm really glad it has worked in the way that I hoped - as a place for chats of all sorts, just like its real world counterpart.

I may not have contributed much myself, but I still enjoy sitting quietly here in the corner and eavesdropping over my Maker's Mark old-fashioned. 🥃

Skål 🙂

• Like 7

On 3/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, Twitchly said:

Seen today on the site that must not be named:

0B141C9C-089E-4403-8CB4-247F4A0A1D09.jpeg

So, I have to tell you, for laughs of course. Doris turned up on my online book group's feed this week. The puns are lost and the focus is on the Vikings themselves -- one of who looks like Terry Pratchett and another who looks like John Rhys-Davies in some movie. My immediate reaction was how quickly it made it to our little backwater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, Jim Avery said:

I have Diamond with Cunard and best I can tell it gets me invited to a dull party, a glass of something warm and bubbly, and a limp handshake from the Captain.

lol....😆   DW and I are pretty much done with some of those parties. Never sailed with Cunard, but Celebrity does their "Captain's Club" events and so forth. One of the last times they boasted about how much food there'd be. We never even got a bite of anything. Wind up sitting there, maybe chatting with another couple, and  then basically just waiting for the Captain and senior staff introductions, etc. It's ok, but have gotten to the point where I'd rather just be out walking on the deck. Like you said, pretty much a 'dull' event. Sit around there and smile, pretending to look interested. Before the thing opens, people start gathering in line like 45 minutes ahead of time, and then, as you finally get up close to the doors and they're ready to open, a whole bunch of already half-inebriated folks come charging out of the elevator and butt in line.

Saddest thing, though, was one poor old guy that must have had dementia...kept asking his wife in front of us, "what are we doing here"?  So she tells him something akin to 'waiting for the party to start'. And then he goes, in quite audible volume...."Awww, forget it!!!"  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2023 at 1:23 PM, Jim Avery said:

See, there are things worse than jeans in Manfredi's....😱

https://apple.news/AogsvLDYjQyOBEPwF_SM2pQ

Unbelievable!!  Looks like a tang that he pulled up there. Wonder if he brought along a knife and whatever else to gut it? Maybe a little hot plate too. OR...take it down to the MDR and ask if they'd cook it for him?  Hey...it's the party cruise line..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Unbelievable!!  Looks like a tang that he pulled up there. Wonder if he brought along a knife and whatever else to gut it? Maybe a little hot plate too. OR...take it down to the MDR and ask if they'd cook it for him?  Hey...it's the party cruise line..

Doesn't say much about the food, when pax have to catch their own.😁

• Haha 6

Hello @Azulann I thought we could find a corner in here for a chat rather than go too far off topic on another thread.

In answer to your question, no I've not visited that photographic museum in Stockholm. In fact I have only briefly travelled through Stockholm once and never spent any time in the city. We do have Viking Homelands in our sights for 2025 though and, like you, plan to start with a pre-stay in Stockholm so we are looking forward to your trip reports. Which itinerary is it that you are on?

You will notice that I changed my profile picture and see that the camera is included for myself and the travel books to represent DW's librarianship. If you look carefully, there is a model of the Viking Sea tucked in there, too.

We have a big trip planned starting in February 2024 to mark DW joining me in retirement. We are doing the Chilean fjords, and then back to back across the Atlantic to Barcelona. We are hoping that the TA will live up to the one we did together on Viking Sea, but that is a big ask!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Hello @Azulann I thought we could find a corner in here for a chat rather than go too far off topic on another thread.

In answer to your question, no I've not visited that photographic museum in Stockholm. In fact I have only briefly travelled through Stockholm once and never spent any time in the city. We do have Viking Homelands in our sights for 2025 though and, like you, plan to start with a pre-stay in Stockholm so we are looking forward to your trip reports. Which itinerary is it that you are on?

You will notice that I changed my profile picture and see that the camera is included for myself and the travel books to represent DW's librarianship. If you look carefully, there is a model of the Viking Sea tucked in there, too.

We have a big trip planned starting in February 2024 to mark DW joining me in retirement. We are doing the Chilean fjords, and then back to back across the Atlantic to Barcelona. We are hoping that the TA will live up to the one we did together on Viking Sea, but that is a big ask!

I  love your new profile picture, and its personal elements. 

2024  will be great year for both of you. What  marvelous cruises you will do. Lots of time to do great research.

I am going on the Scenic Scandinavia cruise June12-22. This cruise and then following one  are the only time it will be done. It is re-imaged "Baltic/ Russia"  former cruises Viking always offered. I picked it because I have never been to the Baltic or Scandinavia , the home of my ancestors!

My mother was 100% Danish, raised in small MN Danish town ,Askov. 

My sister and I are staying three night in Stockholm before boarding the Viking Jupiter. We are staying Sodemalm area , right above the pier where Viking ship will dock.  

I have been reading two books :!. Danish , Swedish Kings  from oral history , sagas various histories up  to 1010,  2. a book on  cultural history of Northern Europe. So different than Southern  European roots in the GR/Roman empires.

Looking forward to new museums, castles, fishing villages, and the Sea. We go to three Swedish ports, Poland, Germany and three Danish ports ending in overnight on ship in Copenhagen. We are doing the post extension and will be there on June 23 St. Hans Eve,(midsummer) Danes light bonfires all over the place , dance, drink and burn "German witches" made of paper. HA.Dates back to ancient and Middle Ages customs..

I will do a live trip report.I am only taking my iPhone for photos and wright a narrative. 

I will have a short glass of Aquavit tonight herein the Explorer lounge 

Cheers, my friend.

Patti

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I  love your new profile picture, and its personal elements. 

2024  will be great year for both of you. What  marvelous cruises you will do. Lots of time to do great research.

I am going on the Scenic Scandinavia cruise June12-22. This cruise and then following one  are the only time it will be done. It is re-imaged "Baltic/ Russia"  former cruises Viking always offered. I picked it because I have never been to the Baltic or Scandinavia , the home of my ancestors!

My mother was 100% Danish, raised in small MN Danish town ,Askov. 

My sister and I are staying three night in Stockholm before boarding the Viking Jupiter. We are staying Sodemalm area , right above the pier where Viking ship will dock.  

I have been reading two books :!. Danish , Swedish Kings  from oral history , sagas various histories up  to 1010,  2. a book on  cultural history of Northern Europe. So different than Southern  European roots in the GR/Roman empires.

Looking forward to new museums, castles, fishing villages, and the Sea. We go to three Swedish ports, Poland, Germany and three Danish ports ending in overnight on ship in Copenhagen. We are doing the post extension and will be there on June 23 St. Hans Eve,(midsummer) Danes light bonfires all over the place , dance, drink and burn "German witches" made of paper. HA.Dates back to ancient and Middle Ages customs..

I will do a live trip report.I am only taking my iPhone for photos and wright a narrative. 

I will have a short glass of Aquavit tonight herein the Explorer lounge 

Cheers, my friend.

Patti

Askov. Been through there dozens of time. Historic. Originally Partridge.