The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

34 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks.  We are excited.   

i don't see a banner and there is nothing in the Apple App Store. Maybe you're an android user?

Don't worry, you are gonna need the Australia app anyway.  Keep using CC in your browser.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

don't see a banner and there is nothing in the Apple App Store. Maybe you're an android user

I am an android user and rather confused one at that.........

The banner for the app came up while viewing the cruise critic site through the browser on my phone. It installed as usual and I logged in using my cruise critic password. Now like you, I can't find any recent reference to the app anywhere, not even on cruise critic????? 

Your and Jim's posts made me want to doublecheck that this was not some sort of scam.

Fortunately, my cruise critic password is not used elsewhere, so I was not too worried if it had been hacked. Just to be sure though, I went to the cruise critic portal (using a browser on another device) and changed the password. 

Going back to the app I checked and, as expected, I couldn't login using the old password or any random ones. However using the new password I could log in on the app just fine. So this app is definitely linked to the cruise critic database strongly suggesting that it is genuine. I also doublecheck that it really is an app and not just a link to the browser as you can see from the screenshot attached.

So I seem to have an operational app that no one knows anything about????

The next thing to do is to find a cruise critic admin contact so I can ask what is going on.... Well report back.

Screenshot_20230825-153537.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, deec said:

🙂

Headed to Europe to enjoy Viking Rivers this fall!  Will miss the Explorers' Lounge but looking forward to being back on the Rivers.

And don’t forget, you promised to post to us on the Douro Cruise board about your experiences.  I can’t wait to read about your trip!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 4:08 PM, photopro2 said:

The next thing to do is to find a cruise critic admin contact so I can ask what is going on....

And the answer is.......

It seems that I really do have an app as I always thought 😁 and it is brand new which is why I had not heard about it and could not find anything on the web.

Apparently cruise critic have just started sending out emails to announce it.

My guess is that I stumbled across a banner link on the UK website that may have been put up early in error.

I understand that this is a link but have not tested it

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=b8774010bf9cd1355d8011a5857d086070291bab880b4dcbec5f95910390f5eb2503cff043b03950b68124aa09d4d8d13fcd605c27b064c4abd2a2c954e10940

33 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

And the answer is.......

It seems that I really do have an app as I always thought 😁 and it is brand new which is why I had not heard about it and could not find anything on the web.

Apparently cruise critic have just started sending out emails to announce it.

My guess is that I stumbled across a banner link on the UK website that may have been put up early in error.

I understand that this is a link but have not tested it

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=b8774010bf9cd1355d8011a5857d086070291bab880b4dcbec5f95910390f5eb2503cff043b03950b68124aa09d4d8d13fcd605c27b064c4abd2a2c954e10940

Looks like it's part of the transition of CruiseCritic to a booking site. 

IMG_8221.png

IMG_8222.png

Edited by Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I've downloaded it but it doesn't seem to have all the features of the online version-like being able to see "my activities".  

Note comments under “Cruise Critic Mobile App” ……doesn’t seem to add anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I've downloaded it but it doesn't seem to have all the features of the online version-like being able to see "my activities".  

I took the app for a spin. I am an app curmudgeon.  I could not log into CC and gave up trying to get around it.

It is not a dedicated app and it is not owned or operated by CC.  I feel safer using my browser and going directly to the CC website. I don't need the added layer of uncertainty.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I took the app for a spin. I am an app curmudgeon.  I could not log into CC and gave up trying to get around it.

It is not a dedicated app and it is not owned or operated by CC.  I feel safer using my browser and going directly to the CC website. I don't need the added layer of uncertainty.  

Exactly. It looks like a 3rd party app trying to link into or scrap pages from CC. The banner that was seen by another poster was probably an ad by the app’s developer. It’s essentially a travel booking app attempting to attract users by liking to other websites.

Anyone who used it should immediately change their CC password via the official website.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 5:26 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Ended up in a port 5054 as it was middle of the ship and not directly at the elevator or the laundry (but close enough that I won't worry about putting on shoes to go move the loads to the dryer😂)

PERFECT cabin!!

I'm so happy for you and Mike!   Of course, now the pressure is on.  Based on your wonderful trip reports, all of our expectations are now quite high!  🙂

Seriously - really hope you enjoy it thoroughly.  I'm so happy for you both that you pulled this together.

Kent

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It looks like a 3rd party app trying to link into or scrap pages from CC.

Not quite that bad, I think.  According to the e-mail, CC has actively partnered with "My Kind of Cruise,"  so it is not like material is being stolen from CC. Whether CC had a hand in the app design is unclear. Whether this is the only version of the app is also unclear.

This is a very new app in the app store, with only 10K+ downloads and no reviews so far.

The old app was nothing more than a forums reader (I didn't use it). When CC changed platforms, the old reader was not compatible and was discontinued.

The new app is full of flourishes and furbelows that some people will love and others will hate. It is clear that it is much less a forums reader than it is a sales and advertising tool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

PERFECT cabin!!

I'm so happy for you and Mike!   Of course, now the pressure is on.  Based on your wonderful trip reports, all of our expectations are now quite high!  🙂

Seriously - really hope you enjoy it thoroughly.  I'm so happy for you both that you pulled this together.

Kent

Us too!

20 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

That function is still in the app, you can get to using the drop down list on the upper part of the cruise critics section of the app. To the right of where it says "Cruise Critic Community"

Screenshot_20230827-135552.thumb.png.ff18f9cc80f08d4339080d6c2b3ac961.png

• Thanks 1

As the app is run by a third party vendor does this mean they need fewer of the nice CC people?  Usually works that way.  Not sure what it saves.  If my laptop or phone is on I can access CC in two clicks. One if Safari is also on.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

As the app is run by a third party vendor does this mean they need fewer of the nice CC people?

I wouldn't think so since the third party is not taking over the management of the community.  The online-- access it through a browser -- is still the core of the boards. All of that stuff still has be taken care of.

Moreover, CC has already partnered with other third parties to get the job done. The CC boards are run on a third party platform. Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to hire a contractor than to do it yourself.

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

That function is still in the app, you can get to using the drop down list on the upper part of the cruise critics section of the app. To the right of where it says "Cruise Critic Community"

Screenshot_20230827-135552.thumb.png.ff18f9cc80f08d4339080d6c2b3ac961.png

Hmmm, my screen looks different than yours, I don't have the drop down. 

IMG_8228.png

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hmmm, my screen looks different than yours, I don't have the drop down.

That's a pity. I thought I had a helpful answer for you😞

I think we are bumping into issues where the app works differently depending on the operating system. There may be also differences depending on the country we are logging in from.

All I can say is that it is working well for me - hence my more frequent posts 😁👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

That's a pity. I thought I had a helpful answer for you😞

I think we are bumping into issues where the app works differently depending on the operating system. There may be also differences depending on the country we are logging in from.

All I can say is that it is working well for me - hence my more frequent posts 😁👍

You're right I think.  I'm using an 🍏 but are (as you know) in the USA. 

• 2 months later...

👋Hello all my Viking Ocean pals!!

We are just back from a Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe" river cruise and I am writing all about it if you are interested.  The Danube was low but the good times were high!😊

• Like 2

I always love reading your trip reports. Thanks for  stopping by the virtual Explorer Lounge.

It has been along week and just relaxing now with a nice dry martini.

I now have your trip report to read.🎉 Better than the news on cable this evening. 

Cheers!

Patti

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Azulann said:

I always love reading your trip reports. Thanks for  stopping by the virtual Explorer Lounge.

It has been along week and just relaxing now with a nice dry martini.

I now have your trip report to read.🎉 Better than the news on cable this evening. 

Cheers!

Patti

🥰Good morning Patti!

I always thought your name was Ann.😊

Smiling as I read your sweet sweet compliments.. I'm truly touched.

Thank you taking the time to post.. have a wonderful weekend.

Cheers to happy hours and happier news.🍹

• Like 2