How long is reasonable to wait for deposit return

scifimonkey

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

I would say no.  For the following reasons.

1.  Unless you booked your cruise during those few days just prior to the implementation of the Piece of Mind policy, your final payment was always due 120 days prior to sailing, which I assume you paid in February and did not dispute - so irrelevant at this point.

2. Not being able to board because of a medical condition would be an insurance issue or a refund with penalty (I'm guessing 75% refund if you had cancelled when that policy went into effect in mid-March).  If you had cancelled and challenged it at that time, you would have had a better position. It looks like you are still eligible for a 50% refund under their standard refund policy.  Plus, I'm not sure that the health certificate requirement still exists; there is currently no mention of it in the faq's about denial of boarding.

3. Chances are that if you wait, your cruise will be cancelled anyway and you will get a full refund.

4. Chargebacks usually require that you have worked with the merchant.  Since your request is outside of the refund policies, it would be doubtful that NCL would approve the chargeback, which is also preemptive at this point.

LOL. That’s not how it works at all. 

The problem with disputing with your CC is that the charge had to have been made within a certain number of days. If you don't dispute within the correct time frame, you are not going to get anywhere.

4 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The problem with disputing with your CC is that the charge had to have been made within a certain number of days. If you don't dispute within the correct time frame, you are not going to get anywhere.

It isn't a problem at all.

It is within a certain number of days of you being aware that the service was not provided - NOT within x days of the payment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Please enlighten us.  I am sure the person who posed the question would like a second opinion.

If the cruise line added restrictions after they booked, then they will not be getting what they paid for.  Easy dispute, paid for something they did not receive.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

If the cruise line added restrictions after they booked, then they will not be getting what they paid for.  Easy dispute, paid for something they did not receive.  

Said restrictions do not currently exist, cruise date has not passed.

image.png.802c04a7aa0427d169e4f58d91f77cb2.png

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Time frame varies by bank, but timeline would begin the day your cruise was cancelled (probably) or didn't sail (possibly).

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 3:00 PM, julig22 said:

Time frame varies by bank, but timeline would begin the day your cruise was cancelled (probably) or didn't sail (possibly).

Yes, I discovered there’s Chargeback Time Limits...disputes must be processed no later than 120 calendar days from transaction date.  However, if the credit card holder was first made aware that the service would not be provided, you have 540 calendar days from the transaction processing date to dispute charges...I was made aware on 3/13/2020 that my 4/05/2020 cruise was suspended.  Unfortunately I made final payment on my cruise 12/2019 for my 4/05/2020 cruise so I’m relying on the 540 Day Rule to allow me to still dispute charges.  

Edited by Ozzieru1e
Date correction
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, julig22 said:

4. Chargebacks usually require that you have worked with the merchant.  Since your request is outside of the refund policies, it would be doubtful that NCL would approve the chargeback, which is also preemptive at this point.

All AMEX required from me for my chargeback was the date the cruise was cancelled. My account was credited 2 days later. The accompanying email said:

"It's important to know that we may accept the response from Usd Reservation at a later date and review the information they provide. In these situations, we may rebill your account." ...If you don't hear from us by 06/24/2020, then you may consider this matter closed.

Now I'm 99% sure that's not going to happen. Some folks like julig here insist this message means I'm going to be on the hook until June 24th. Nonsense. For the sake of argument, let's play this out. The message says they will "rebill" my account, not "debit" my account. That means they aren't just going to take the money back without my authorization. In my case, that can't happen because my money won't be still in the account by that time.

So let's say NCL somehow wins their challenge and AMEX rebills me in a couple of weeks (which would be lightspeed for NCL). The due date for that bill in my CC cycle wouldn't be until the middle of June. I just won't pay it back. I got my money already. (For the sticklers, yes, I would make the minimum payment, I'm not risking my great credit for these guys.) Mid-June is only a couple of weeks from the 90 days. After the 90 days NCL has no leg to stand on. The "rebill" would become moot.

• Like 1

I would dispute the charge with the credit card company.  You will need to send them the NCL invoice, itinerary, and NCL's notice of cancellation.  You will then receive a credit on your credit card.  If not, I plan to sue NCL and the credit card company in court.  

After everyone disputes the charge and says they will never cruise again, the refunds will flow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waquoit said:

All AMEX required from me for my chargeback was the date the cruise was cancelled. My account was credited 2 days later. The accompanying email said:

"It's important to know that we may accept the response from Usd Reservation at a later date and review the information they provide. In these situations, we may rebill your account." ...If you don't hear from us by 06/24/2020, then you may consider this matter closed.

Now I'm 99% sure that's not going to happen. Some folks like julig here insist this message means I'm going to be on the hook until June 24th. Nonsense. For the sake of argument, let's play this out. The message says they will "rebill" my account, not "debit" my account. That means they aren't just going to take the money back without my authorization. In my case, that can't happen because my money won't be still in the account by that time.

So let's say NCL somehow wins their challenge and AMEX rebills me in a couple of weeks (which would be lightspeed for NCL). The due date for that bill in my CC cycle wouldn't be until the middle of June. I just won't pay it back. I got my money already. (For the sticklers, yes, I would make the minimum payment, I'm not risking my great credit for these guys.) Mid-June is only a couple of weeks from the 90 days. After the 90 days NCL has no leg to stand on. The "rebill" would become moot.

Ohh - somebody is bored today to go back 3 days to try to drum up controversy by taking comments out of context and applying it to yourself.

I am not cheerleading for NCL.  Just stating the logical and practical.  I have no dog in your fight with NCL - if it turns out good for you, great.

I filled out the refund form yesterday for my  cancelled cruise. It says to allow 90

days to see the refund on my credit card. I know that people (and I agree) think that this

is way too long and it is NCL's way of holding on as long as possible to our money. (I am

assuming it is legal for them to do this but in my opinion given the circumstances of

some people's lives not particularly customer friendly). As people start to get their

refunds please keep us updated as to how long it took. I am hoping for a much shorter

time frame.

most likely yes. other cruise lines is giving the same refund time frame so expect to wait a very long time for a refund. if you are impatient and needs access to the money then you can file a dispute with your credit card company. they will give you a temporary credit

Edited by shof515

I filled out the refund form yesterday for my  cancelled cruise. It says to allow 90
days to see the refund on my credit card. I know that people (and I agree) think that this
is way too long and it is NCL's way of holding on as long as possible to our money. (I am
assuming it is legal for them to do this but in my opinion given the circumstances of
some people's lives not particularly customer friendly). As people start to get their
refunds please keep us updated as to how long it took. I am hoping for a much shorter
time frame.

I would say yes. On Feb 22 I had scheduled an Oceania cruise for 2021, but when my husband and I really looked at it the next day we decided to go in a different direction and I cancelled the cruise on the 23rd. My cancellation confirmation states I would receive my refund in 4-6 weeks (which is ridiculous in and of itself).

When I didn’t have my refund at the end of the 6 week period I called and was told it hadn’t been put through and I would have it in 7 days. I waited 2 weeks and called again yesterday. I spoke with the rudest, most dismissive supervisor imaginable, and was told even though I cancelled back in February I still would still have to wait up to 90 days for my refund.🤬

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cindy said:

I would say yes. On Feb 22 I had scheduled an Oceania cruise for 2021, but when my husband and I really looked at it the next day we decided to go in a different direction and I cancelled the cruise on the 23rd. My cancellation confirmation states I would receive my refund in 4-6 weeks (which is ridiculous in and of itself).

When I didn’t have my refund at the end of the 6 week period I called and was told it hadn’t been put through and I would have it in 7 days. I waited 2 weeks and called again yesterday. I spoke with the rudest, most dismissive supervisor imaginable, and was told even though I cancelled back in February I still would still have to wait up to 90 days for my refund.🤬

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really sorry to hear this. I hope you get your money soon.

Absolutely, yes.

I've written on other threads what happened to some of us a few years back with a POA sailing and monies due.  They were quick to acknowledge funds due but the "processing" took them 16 weeks.  And that was for one ship with 2,000 people max.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

most likely yes. other cruise lines is giving the same refund time frame so expect to wait a very long time for a refund. if you are impatient and needs access to the money then you can file a dispute with your credit card company. they will give you a temporary credit

Yes, you will get a temporary fix, credit. However, all NCL has to do is show the credit card that they are in the process of refunding your money and the credit card will close the case in NCL favor, telling you that if they don't do so, file a dispute again.

I know in the past when I cancelled a cruise with only the deposit made, they would say it would take a certain amount of time too receive the deposit back in my account and it was always there in a couple days.  I was hoping that this would be the same.  I requested my refund on April 13th and so far nothing.  I'm interested to see if anyone has gotten their refund for a fully paid, NCL cancelled cruise and how long it actually took.

• Like 1

I cancelled a September cruise 2 weeks ago. Only my deposit. Was told I would get refund in 7-10 days and then when my actual invoice was sent it said up to 90 days. So they are saving every dollar they can, even our worthless Canadian ones. 😄

• Haha 1

I cancelled my June 8th Med cruise on March 4th which was prior to the "peace of mind" policy and was told 7-10 business days for the refund. It is now 34 business days, 48 total days and no refund. I wound up speaking with the "executive" department and was told even though I cancelled prior to any cancellation or new policy, just the sheer amount of requests is taking up to 90 days. They show it "pending" in their system. At this point, I'm not going to work myself up over it and I'll just wait. I have to admit that initially I was quite upset (no, angry) because no one could give me any information on why it was taking so long and the refund line is just a recording that gives you no information at all. They need to do better responding to people's questions and concerns over the refund process.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Yes, you will get a temporary fix, credit. However, all NCL has to do is show the credit card that they are in the process of refunding your money and the credit card will close the case in NCL favor, telling you that if they don't do so, file a dispute again.

That’s not true at all. They will give a temp credit  then when and if ncl responds the cc company will tell them the chargeback stands and make the credit permanent. Not only that, my understanding is there are also punitive measures as well as fees with chargebacks. 

Maybe  if more peeps took this route they would get their act together. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

I know in the past when I cancelled a cruise with only the deposit made, they would say it would take a certain amount of time too receive the deposit back in my account and it was always there in a couple days.  I was hoping that this would be the same.  I requested my refund on April 13th and so far nothing.  I'm interested to see if anyone has gotten their refund for a fully paid, NCL cancelled cruise and how long it actually took.

My July cruise was paid in full (Hawaii) and I cancelled a couple days before final payment.  I was told at that time 7-10 business days.  Later was told 90 days.  Cancelled March 13th.  Still no refund.  I turned it over to my CC company 10 days ago.  Still waiting on the refund from my CC.  The CC is telling me it could take 60 days to get my refund.  I fear I won't see anything and will be out the entire amount.