Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

55 minutes ago, Artquest said:

I, too, was on this cruise, and I as well was extraordinarily pissed when I got the email from Celebrity informing us that we might have been exposed to the virus.  But then as I considered the issues, I have come to a different conclusion.

The captain could have informed us all that there was illness on board, confined us to our cabins, and proceeded to seek a port where we could land. Of course, he had the example of the Zaandam to show that wasn’t very effective.

On the other hand, he could keep silent, get his passengers to port and home, while sacrificing his career and possibly opening up Celebrity to massive lawsuits. 

I believe that the captain chose the second option because he considered his first obligations were to his passengers. It was a lose/lose situation, but I feel he made the best decision he could. I for one am glad to be home.

Exposing a whole lot of other people, but hey, at least the cruise passengers are home. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Were you told Celebrity was pushing for a cheap solution?  Personally, I think Celebrity was thinking of the passengers who were to disembark in San Antonio and the poor unfortunate jetlagged souls who had arrived in Santiago hoping to board on the 15th.  It must have been devastating for them to learn they just had to turn around and go home.

There was certainly nothing cheap about the way they treated us for the next 15 days.  They didn't have to give us free unlimited Internet, free booze from morning to night or free laundry while we were sailing on a free cruise,  getting our money back and tier points also.

If Celebrity wasn't pushing for a cheap solution, disembarkation by all in Chile on March 15 (plan A), they wouldn't have spent 3 days there, imploring everyone in the US and Chilean governments up to the President of Chile (according to captain Leo).

And you're correct, there was certainly nothing cheap about the way they treated us the next 15 days (plan B).  At that point, they couldn't make 2,000 passengers the problem of the Chilean government.  So to preserve goodwill and customer relations, they did the right thing.

Us continuing cruisers were all so thankful that the Chilean government wouldn't let Celebrity "dump" us at the port of San Antonio.

5 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

Exposing a whole lot of other people, but hey, at least the cruise passengers are home. 

I take it you and everyone you know has of course self quarantined after the first cases of the virus was discovered in Seattle in February?

• Like 2

I am really confused why so many people are angry at Celebrity/Captain Leo for letting us off the ship in San Diego.  Even before we docked, that decision was in the hands of San Diego County Health Department and US Immigration and Custom's Enforcement.  The San Diego County Health Department had to know someone was taken off the ship by an ambulance as soon as we docked.  They decided not to have us wait for the results.  They are the ones to be upset with as they made the call.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Va man said:

I am really confused why so many people are angry at Celebrity/Captain Leo for letting us off the ship in San Diego.  Even before we docked, that decision was in the hands of San Diego County Health Department and US Immigration and Custom's Enforcement.  The San Diego County Health Department had to know someone was taken off the ship by an ambulance as soon as we docked.  They decided not to have us wait for the results.  They are the ones to be upset with as they made the call.

I read she was taken off having heart problems.  If that was the reason for an ambulance request, the port authorities would not have any reason to halt disembarkation.

Did Celebrity say it was a heart concern to avoid covid scrutiny and rejection?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I take it you and everyone you know has of course self quarantined after the first cases of the virus was discovered in Seattle in February?

Just a point of consideration.  The first DOCUMENTED case of COVID19 was in the Seattle area on January 20, 2020.

And I know you were not asking me about self quarantine, but I have been self isolating for 6 weeks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

Just a point of consideration.  The first DOCUMENTED case of COVID19 was in the Seattle area on January 20, 2020.

And I know you were not asking me about self quarantine, but I have been self isolating for 6 weeks.

Hi reugerdog, I knew it was earlier than I said but the first death was reported in February. 

I for one appreciate your self isolation, we have been doing what we can here. My wife had surgery last week so we both stopped work before just to keep her safer (she works in healthcare) I have gone back to work but we are able to keep distant at the work place and other than grocery runs or grab take out we are home.

My oint was that some people are quick to criticize others for their actions towards slowing this outbreak but don't seem to think the countermeasures apply to them.

Best regards keep safe everyone

• Like 1

That sounds like gossip and speculation, not fact.  I would love to hear from the ambulance crew or the host or the San Diego Health Department.

I imagine heads will roll if someone misled the Health Department, but we probably will never know.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

There was more content but I think it was getting nasty so part of it was rolled back. I know there were a couple of call outs including from me but I think some were getting quite personal so were removed.

Okay, thanks.  I've been looking at several different threads and figured I must have confused which was which.  I came to check back to see if the OP had answered my question, but I couldn't find my question!

As for my earlier response to you regarding the January 20 date, it wasn't intended as a contradiction at all, I just wanted to explain how long ago people in our part of the world (you're just a few hours North of me) were more keenly aware of the speed with which C19 was spreading.  Thus our much earlier isolation.

I had been looking at booking this very cruise, as well as the Eclipse from Santiago to San Diego, then from San Diego to Vancouver.  Since I decided I wasn't comfortable with the way things were rapidly heading, I chose to follow along with these sailings vicariously, enjoying the updates along the way from the pax onboard.  I was so relieved when they were allowed to begin disembarking in San Diego.

Positive thoughts and good wishes for the OP and all the others going forward.

• Like 1

Funny thing my wife and I had thoughts of doing the San Diego to Vancouver leg just for a chance to enjoy Eclipse again. Our big adventure is next January in Eclipse Auckland to Melbourne. We have a lot of that trip sorted but have moved to slow ahead until we are more sure the trip will even happen.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:27 PM, goofysmom99 said:

I'm of the opinion Covid19 was suspected.  Keeping everyone onboard with nowhere to go is horrible.  Letting pax disembark equally horrible.  Damned if you do; damned if you don't.  The only thing I can control is my own behavior so have decided to forego cruising until there is a vaccine.  Then I won't have to trust a cruise line to watch out so solicitously for pax and crew.

I agree 100% with each of your statements.  It will take a while before the risk/reward ratio is acceptable for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There will be be many diehard cruisers that will be easily swayed into taking the the first available cruises so they can take advantage of any deals and to avoid fears of their FCC expiring. 
The same types who were not planning on canceling cruises they booked in mid March will be on the first available post-suspension cruises.

• Like 2

Naturally people are going to speculate and like with Princess in Sydney there will be questions asked. Interestingly, the same company in the last few days was highlighting the brilliance of Captain Carl on Azamara, and we also saw the enormous pressure put on Chile including at political level. 

And one thing is clear - this whole virus has created questions and sustainability issues for the entire cruise industry. 

• Like 1

I know this will be censured but have to say it anyway. A big thank you to the Capt., crew & Celebrity Management. Thank you for caring about your bottom line, not the health & safety of your passengers. Thank you for not protecting myself & wife. I now get to see her moaning in pain from the muscle pain. Can't go to the hospital she is not in a critical stage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FOXTROT said:

I know this will be censured but have to say it anyway. A big thank you to the Capt., crew & Celebrity Management. Thank you for caring about your bottom line, not the health & safety of your passengers. Thank you for not protecting myself & wife. I now get to see her moaning in pain from the muscle pain. Can't go to the hospital she is not in a critical stage.

I wish your wife a quick recovery.  I am so sorry you have to experience this.  

• Like 1

There have certainly been deaths on the RCL brand ships in Australia. One from Equinox, one from Voyager and one from Ovation. All in the last four weeks. 

Edited by Pushka

58 minutes ago, Pushka said:

There have certainly been deaths on the RCL brand ships in Australia. One from Equinox, one from Voyager and one from Ovation. All in the last four weeks. 

Sorry but Equinox does not sail in Australia.  Did you mean that there has been a death on Solstice?

Edited by Argo.

9 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Sorry but Equinox does not sail in Australia.  Did you mean that there has been a death on Solstice?

Ah yes. 🤭My Bad.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/03/australia-coronavirus-victims-covid-19-related-deaths
This news is a little old but think it's up to date except for three more Ruby Princess deaths a day ago. 

(I love Equinox. Always on my mind) 

Edited by Pushka

1 hour ago, sheffield said:

Does anyone know whether the remaining passengers are still on the Eclipse and what is happening to the ship?

As Beachin2 said, the Eclipse, along with Disney Wonder, still appear to be docked in San Diego, according to the scenic backdrop on Channel 7/39.  

Dr. McDonald, SD County director of epidemiology, was asked at today's covid update whether the remaining passengers on the Eclipse were straining the county's medical capacity.  He was rather vague and said privacy reasons didn't allow him to give details about particular passengers.  He seemed to imply that there were only a few (2 or 3?) passengers left on the ship who were not allowed to come ashore and who haven't been able to return to their home country.  He said that everyone left on the ship (mostly crew) would be treated on the ship, and that the ship had the necessary equipment, so they wouldn't be overloading San Diego's health care system.   He said that there were 3 ships in San Diego -- I guess Millienium (without passengers?) is hovering off shore -- and a couple of cases from the other ships have come ashore for treatment of some sort, but then have returned to their ship.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny thing my wife and I had thoughts of doing the San Diego to Vancouver leg just for a chance to enjoy Eclipse again.

I really wanted to do this leg too, since it would be a quick flight to SD, and Vancouver is within driving distance.  

I kept watching each once of the cruises, trying to decide if I should pull the trigger and book since I knew it was going to be getting worse and worse.  I thought if I waited and just did the last leg, it would be okay by then.  Maybe it will be repeated next year.