FLORIDA

West Palm would be wonderful, next would be Fort Lauderdale.....lots easier than Miami for us, anyway. Both of these ports have nice airports, Fort Lauderdale would especially fit the bill.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 9:32 AM, mrlevin said:

As of this morning:

Cases per 1,000,000 residents

Washington. 1,149

Florida  704

Texas 290

Deaths per 1,000,000 residents

Washington 52

Florida. 14

Texas. 5

Yes, the higher case count in Washington could be due to testing; however, the death rate is a telling statistic.

This thread should have been closed down a long time ago as it is political in nature and not about cruising.

Marc

The death rate might not be as telling a statistic as you think. In order to be counted as a COVID death the victims must have tested positive. If a state has been under-tested, the death rate will be under-reported. 

22 hours ago, tripperva said:

A couple years ago, Seabourn moved all Caribbean departures and arrivals to Barbados. That may change, but right now their cruises begin and end away from Florida.

The main reason we will NOT cruise with Seabourn.  Don't want to fly for a Carib. cruise. Flying is becoming more difficult all the time.   Enough from So Fla. not to  have to. 

• Like 1

Anyone flying into or out of Barbados or St Maartin on embarkation/debarkation days (as we did last year for a Seabourn Cruise) will long for Miami. Airports have still not recovered from Hurricane 2 years ago and were a total disaster.

• Like 1

I live in Palm Beach County.  Yes, our Governor doesn't and still won't act - leaves it up to the individual counties.  He's done a little now but he is not an effective person.  That said, PBC closed our beaches when we couldn't get the "kids" to have some sense and stop mass gatherings.  Then when they were closed the "kids" took to boats and partied in masses.  Then we closed the marinas - sad that someone who owns a boat can't even use it because of these entitled little buggers.  Where were their parents during this time - where are they now?  Saw one of them on TV saying it's not a Gen X problem is it just "you boomers" who are dying so no big deal.  We know that isn't true but..... As to not cruising from Florida that's your choice.  One of the things I failed to see mentioned was that we wouldn't let the two HAL ships come in until HAL had a plan in place.  That is what caused the delay.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Linda VH said:

I live in Palm Beach County.  Yes, our Governor doesn't and still won't act - leaves it up to the individual counties.  He's done a little now but he is not an effective person.  That said, PBC closed our beaches when we couldn't get the "kids" to have some sense and stop mass gatherings.  Then when they were closed the "kids" took to boats and partied in masses.  Then we closed the marinas - sad that someone who owns a boat can't even use it because of these entitled little buggers.  Where were their parents during this time - where are they now?  Saw one of them on TV saying it's not a Gen X problem is it just "you boomers" who are dying so no big deal.  We know that isn't true but..... As to not cruising from Florida that's your choice.  One of the things I failed to see mentioned was that we wouldn't let the two HAL ships come in until HAL had a plan in place.  That is what caused the delay.   

Thank you so much for your "informed" post.  I was aware of the HAL ships but didn't want more people to think that we were "Florida bashing".  I feel that it is important to give credit when decisions are made that help with the current crisis and to bring to people's attention when lives are needlessly being put at risk due to the wrong decisions.  

In term of flying into or out of Miami - we just liked Ft. Lauderdale so much better (less crowds - less difficulty boarding and disembarking from the ships).  The Port of Miami is just too crowded which is why I wish there were alternatives.

• Haha 1

I don't like to sail out of Miami (or fly out) if I can avoid it but unfortunately it is sometimes impossible.  I have a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale for my September cruise in Alaska (fingers crossed) but have to fly back into Miami and clear customs there.  No big deal for me as I have global entry but I'm taking my niece and she does not.  

41 minutes ago, Linda VH said:

I don't like to sail out of Miami (or fly out) if I can avoid it but unfortunately it is sometimes impossible.  I have a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale for my September cruise in Alaska (fingers crossed) but have to fly back into Miami and clear customs there.  No big deal for me as I have global entry but I'm taking my niece and she does not.  

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, Linda VH said:

That said, PBC closed our beaches when we couldn't get the "kids" to have some sense and stop mass gatherings.  Then when they were closed the "kids" took to boats and partied in masses.  Then we closed the marinas - sad that someone who owns a boat can't even use it because of these entitled little buggers.  Where were their parents during this time - where are they now? 

Yep.  Sounds like a photo I saw about March 15th of Clearwater Beach crowded with March-breakers.  The caption read, "This is why we can't have nice things!"  Pinellas County has done the same as yours, and were way ahead of the state as a whole.  

• Like 1