Now for something completely different

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Newfoundland, on beautiful Canada’s opposite edge to Lisle’s Vancouver Island, has been in my thoughts and prayers all week.  We all waited and hoped in vain, as it came to pass, for a miracle happy ending for the occupants of the missing Titanic submersible.  During those days, one of our granddaughters was flying from LA to London.  Her flight was diverted over a higher polar route, as searching military occupied the skies over Newfoundland.  Then, for a truly enjoyable and uplifting experience, my daughter and I joined a packed Canberra Theatre for a performance of Come From Away, the acclaimed musical set in Newfoundland’s Gander, a town of amazing people who hosted countless passengers of the planes diverted from American skies during the Twin Towers tragic emergency.  Beautiful voices, wonderful music, and poignant moments of deep reflection.  We absolutely loved it.  One reviewer suggested travel agents should be ready for heavy bookings for Newfoundland.  Catch it if you can, although I fear the Australian season may be closing soon.  

Sad re unsuccessful search for the Titanic submersible.  I loved "Come from Away" also, which perfectly captured the Newfoundland people.  It is my favourite place in Canada,  Newfoundland and Labrador is home to some of Canada's finest performers.  If you go to a musical event at someone's house, someone will bring out a lager phone and someone will invite you home.  A local lady picked me up at St Andrews, when I was there off a ship, and took me on a tour of her town, including past her house.  On another occasion, we hired a car and drove all over Newfoundland.  A highlight for us Queenslanders was seeing small icebergs floating near the Coast.  A disappointment, yet again, those cute puffins had gone! 

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sad re unsuccessful search for the Titanic submersible.  I loved "Come from Away" also, which perfectly captured the Newfoundland people.  It is my favourite place in Canada,  Newfoundland and Labrador is home to some of Canada's finest performers.  If you go to a musical event at someone's house, someone will bring out a lager phone and someone will invite you home.  A local lady picked me up at St Andrews, when I was there off a ship, and took me on a tour of her town, including past her house.  On another occasion, we hired a car and drove all over Newfoundland.  A highlight for us Queenslanders was seeing small icebergs floating near the Coast.  A disappointment, yet again, those cute puffins had gone! 

That’s such a lovely, evocative post, Marion 🙏🏻

• Like 1

We're looking forward to visiting Newfoundland, we will be there in early September. Cornerbrook is the port stop. We don't have anything planned but have seen a few things we will check out. Through my sea cadet connections I was "Screeched In" at HMCS Quadra here on the wet coast; how can you do that you ask? Well there was a large contingent of staff at Quadra from Newfoundland and one of them was an "Screech In" Officiate. So I was duly Screeched in and have the certificate but, I've never been to Newfoundland. If I can re-do the ceremony while I'm there I will, if not I'll get a shot of screech and hopefully a souvenir shot glass. Other than that we'll just enjoy the friendly people we know we will encounter there.

While the result of the submersible search was tragic, some reports coming out now are that the implosion was captured by navy technology that is quite secret. Perhaps the lesson to be learned from this tragedy is that it is time to leave the Grand Lady alone. Titanic went down 111 years ago. There is nothing further to learn from diving on her now. Let's leave this grave site alone, before we add more lost souls to the tally.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We're looking forward to visiting Newfoundland, we will be there in early September. Cornerbrook is the port stop. We don't have anything planned but have seen a few things we will check out. Through my sea cadet connections I was "Screeched In" at HMCS Quadra here on the wet coast; how can you do that you ask? Well there was a large contingent of staff at Quadra from Newfoundland and one of them was an "Screech In" Officiate. So I was duly Screeched in and have the certificate but, I've never been to Newfoundland. If I can re-do the ceremony while I'm there I will, if not I'll get a shot of screech and hopefully a souvenir shot glass. Other than that we'll just enjoy the friendly people we know we will encounter there.

While the result of the submersible search was tragic, some reports coming out now are that the implosion was captured by navy technology that is quite secret. Perhaps the lesson to be learned from this tragedy is that it is time to leave the Grand Lady alone. Titanic went down 111 years ago. There is nothing further to learn from diving on her now. Let's leave this grave site alone, before we add more lost souls to the tally.

Nice to have your cruise to Newfoundland and the East in September to look forward to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Nice to have your cruise to Newfoundland and the East in September to look forward to. 

We really are looking forward to it. We chose this itinerary because it included Newfoundland. We do hope that weather does not get in the way sometimes that port gets cancelled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We really are looking forward to it. We chose this itinerary because it included Newfoundland. We do hope that weather does not get in the way sometimes that port gets cancelled.

Fingers crossed for fine weather for your adventure, Lisle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just letting you know that you might be getting another Aussie passing through your neck of the woods during July and August. Currently on hold stage.  

Roger that. We fly out to Boston on 21 August. Keep in touch. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Roger that. We fly out to Boston on 21 August. Keep in touch. 

Hi Lile, I'll be home before you leave for Boston,  Finally found a cruise which excites me - Hurtigruten - Roald Amundsen - 18 days from 17/7/23 from Vancouver/Nome to Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Hi Lile, I'll be home before you leave for Boston,  Finally found a cruise which excites me - Hurtigruten - Roald Amundsen - 18 days from 17/7/23 from Vancouver/Nome to Vancouver. 

That is interesting. Let's see if we can make something happen. I don't suppose that your cruise visits Victoria? We are just trying to sort out a short notice move for my Mother in Law. She is having to move to a higher level of care so things are moving fast over here.

Hopefully we can get everything sorted without much stress.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is interesting. Let's see if we can make something happen. I don't suppose that your cruise visits Victoria? We are just trying to sort out a short notice move for my Mother in Law. She is having to move to a higher level of care so things are moving fast over here.

Hopefully we can get everything sorted without much stress.

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

Hi Lyle and Lynn,  Sorry to hear your MIL has to move to a higher level of care.  I looked out for my grandmother and great aunt, so know what is involved.  If it is convenient, at the time, it would be nice to catch up.  If not, that is OK too. 

I will be in Vancouver on Sunday and Monday, 16/7 and 17/7 prior to the cruise with Hurtigruten on Roald Amundsen, from Nome Alaska.  The 18 day cruise goes from Nome to Vancouver, arriving Vancouver on Thursday 3/8.  I fly home on Tuesday 8/8 (5 days).  I will catch the ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, as I usually stay on the island, rather than Vancouver.  This came up at very short notice, so I haven't  done any research for this trip yet.  

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Hi Lyle and Lynn,  Sorry to hear your MIL has to move to a higher level of care.  I looked out for my grandmother and great aunt, so know what is involved.  If it is convenient, at the time, it would be nice to catch up.  If not, that is OK too. 

I will be in Vancouver on Sunday and Monday, 16/7 and 17/7 prior to the cruise with Hurtigruten on Roald Amundsen, from Nome Alaska.  The 18 day cruise goes from Nome to Vancouver, arriving Vancouver on Thursday 3/8.  I fly home on Tuesday 8/8 (5 days).  I will catch the ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, as I usually stay on the island, rather than Vancouver.  This came up at very short notice, so I haven't  done any research for this trip yet.  

So this fits perfectly, you are already coming to the Island I'm an island guy so local knowledge here is better than Vancouver. Once you get things more sorted we can work out when and where to meet up.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

So this fits perfectly, you are already coming to the Island I'm an island guy so local knowledge here is better than Vancouver. Once you get things more sorted we can work out when and where to meet up.

Thank you Lyle.  Don't let it add to your stress, at this stage, as I'm not arriving until 3/8.

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you Lyle.  Don't let it add to your stress, at this stage, as I'm not arriving until 3/8.

No stress, something to look forward to. The move happens next week and we have until the 15th of July to get the rest of her stuff out of the flat. 

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Here's something different, something that hasn't happened to me in years.

I received a cheque - in the mail!😨

My dad who is 93 still uses cheques. When my Mum passed away last year, Dad as her executor had to pay out some small bequests to the grandchildren and great grandchildren. Dad of course sent cheques to them. I can only imagine the look on the faces of the grandchildren when they opended their mail and saw a cheque in the envelope. Dad, after speaking to their solicitor had asked me to do a letter explainging what the cheques were for and I did ask that the cheque be banked as soon as possible so Dad could keep track of what had been paid out. I did offer to obtain all the relative bank details and send the bequests by online transfer but Dad wouldn't have that, had to be cheques. He does have online banking too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Holy cow, did anyone besides you know what to do with it?🤔

I had a few grey cells left from my banking career so I had a rough idea.

The cheque, $1300,  was a premium refund from Shannons due to them not applying my multiple policy discount. A couple of weeks ago I received my annual home/contents renewal notice and nearly fell over when I saw the amount. I was expecting an increase but not almost double last years'. Anyhoo, they are paying me out a lot from the recent hail damage.

There was too much damage to my LDV van to do a PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) repair so I now have to take it to a repairer to get a quote for a conventional repair. Which I would do but can't ATM. The van is with the dealer having some rust repaired - under warranty!!

I am waiting still for an assessor to check the pool solar heater damage for which I already have a quote - $6000. I've received a $4000 payout for my deck roof repair which I am close to finishing.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I had a few grey cells left from my banking career so I had a rough idea.

The cheque, $1300,  was a premium refund from Shannons due to them not applying my multiple policy discount. A couple of weeks ago I received my annual home/contents renewal notice and nearly fell over when I saw the amount. I was expecting an increase but not almost double last years'. Anyhoo, they are paying me out a lot from the recent hail damage.

There was too much damage to my LDV van to do a PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) repair so I now have to take it to a repairer to get a quote for a conventional repair. Which I would do but can't ATM. The van is with the dealer having some rust repaired - under warranty!!

I am waiting still for an assessor to check the pool solar heater damage for which I already have a quote - $6000. I've received a $4000 payout for my deck roof repair which I am close to finishing.

So sorry you’ve had to endure all this😔

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

My dad who is 93 still uses cheques. When my Mum passed away last year, Dad as her executor had to pay out some small bequests to the grandchildren and great grandchildren. Dad of course sent cheques to them. I can only imagine the look on the faces of the grandchildren when they opended their mail and saw a cheque in the envelope. Dad, after speaking to their solicitor had asked me to do a letter explainging what the cheques were for and I did ask that the cheque be banked as soon as possible so Dad could keep track of what had been paid out. I did offer to obtain all the relative bank details and send the bequests by online transfer but Dad wouldn't have that, had to be cheques. He does have online banking too!

My mum 92+, still uses cheques.  A few years ago she sent my daughter (25) a cheque for her birthday. I had to explain to my daughter what to do with it.

Mum has now moved onto new strategies. One is to send me the cheque, and I transfer the money.  Well, mum usually forgets the date, but there may be some advance work from my end.

As my older brother manages mum’ s accounts, she now gets him to transfer money to my account.

Her bank is trying to phase out cheques, but she has no computer skills

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

My mum 92+, still uses cheques.  A few years ago she sent my daughter (25) a cheque for her birthday. I had to explain to my daughter what to do with it.

Mum has now moved onto new strategies. One is to send me the cheque, and I transfer the money.  Well, mum usually forgets the date, but there may be some advance work from my end.

As my older brother manages mum’ s accounts, she now gets him to transfer money to my account.

Her bank is trying to phase out cheques, but she has no computer skills

My brother looks after Dad’s bank account and Dad just gives him his card when required. I think Dad’s bank is going to get rid of of cheques too. 

On 6/28/2023 at 1:54 PM, Blackduck59 said:

No stress, something to look forward to. The move happens next week and we have until the 15th of July to get the rest of her stuff out of the flat. 

Hi Lyle, Sad to say I've been sick, so have had to cancel my cruise to Alaska.  So disappointed!  Hope the shifting of your MIL's stuff has gone well.  

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Hi Lyle, Sad to say I've been sick, so have had to cancel my cruise to Alaska.  So disappointed!  Hope the shifting of your MIL's stuff has gone well.  

All went well. We have the movers coming tomorrow to shift the rest of her stuff to our place.

I'm so sorry that you are unable to go on your cruise. We were looking forward to meeting you. Take care and get well soon. 

Cheers Lyle 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Wishing you a rapid recovery, Marion.