Now for something completely different

Okay, although the current state of cruising is up in the air; I would like to move forward.

I'm looking for local knowledge on the land down under.

I don't want to get specific in the "topic" but will throw out questions within the thread. Also I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about Canada. Keep in mind that like Australia Canada is a vast country and I probably don't know your buddy Bruce in Moose Jaw. But I do have pretty good knowledge of my home Province of BC.

I look forward to gaining local knowledge from you and passing on local knowledge of my part of the world.

First stop Auckland we have 2 days before the cruise what is not to be missed in Auckland?

• Like 1

I am happy to put my 2 bobs worth in 🙂

Had a nice 1 week Alaskan cruise and 3 weeks driving through the Rockies holiday all booked for May\June. Will ask you questions next year when I put our holiday to your beautiful country back together again. All the Airbnb hosts have been excellent with their cancellations, so I know where I will be booking so won't take long. 🙂

We have a caravan and spend about 6 weeks at a time away. Been through Kangaroo Island, Barossa Valley, Flinders Ranges.

Part of the Outback up the Oodnadatta Track, across to Bourke and Lightning Ridge. Up to Rockhampton and all the way down the coast to Sydney and around to Melbourne. This was over 3 different holidays. Still have Western Australia, Northern Territory, Northern Queensland and Central Australia to go.

As you say Australia is a huge country though not quite as big as Canada but still vast distances to cover with great lumps of beautiful nothing in between places.

I to am more than happy to answer any questions that people might have.

Sorry I just couldn’t help that.

I was just at the supermarket and saw lobster tails,product of Canada.

I can’t understand why we import lobster tails when we produce a lot locally.

And at the moment we can’t sell them.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Believe it or not there is a difference. We import Australian lobster on the west coast (we don't have lobster on this coast) we do bring in live lobster from the east though. We import Australian beef too, and it's usually cheaper than ours...go figure

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

As for your question about Auckland. We have just got back from our 5th trip to New Zealand. Just love the countryside, it has just stunning scenery. Auckland is a nice City but get out into the Coromandel's to the east. the Kauri forests to the north west and of cause Rotorua and Lake Taupo to the south. Easy to spend 2 weeks just on these areas. You still have the rest of the Island to see. Then the South Island .......

I have enjoyed the ferry rides, which leave from the terminal next to the cruise terminal, to Devonport and Waiheke Island. Devonport is a trendy seaside village with coffee shops, pubs, supermarket and quaint shops. Waiheke Island has some fine wineries and fantastic scenery. I have also visited the Museum of Transport and Technology, MOTAT, that has two sites connected by a tram service. You can get a local bus from Auckland to MOTAT. This should get you started in planning your trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My vote is for Devonport if you want to see some of New Zealand's traditional houses. Its gets you away from the city buildings.

There are mansions as well as cottages.

Terrific shops and cafes. I hope they still run the horse and cart rides.

There is also a Navy Museum if you walk to the end of the promenade.

DSC05323.JPG

DSC05337.JPG

DSC05354.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

You funny chili. Texas is about 250,000 square kilometers smaller than British Columbia. Thanks for asking though

Sorry for being a smart #rss.
I was on a tour in Europe a few years ago and there was this big Texan.

The usual thing Texas is this ,is that,the biggest,the best.

After a few days I said what part of Canada is Texas in.
He was going to hit me until I started laughing.

We are still in contact.

• Haha 1

Auckland

Art museum

museum in the garden (forgot the names)

I hiked up Mt Eden (volcano, not active). Great views.

Devonport

Maritime Museum

Marae at Auckland University

Edited by Docker123
  • Thanks 1

Auckland we head for Vulcan lane ,it’s a historic laneway lined with restaurants and pubs .

The occidental hotel is our favourite for seafood or a steak.They brew their own beer and wine

Edited by Chiliburn

I first landed in Queen Street, Auckland - main drag up from waterfront in 1964.

It was a very quiet one horse town in those days.

The cruise ships are berthed closer to town than in Sydney & about the same as Vancouver.

The city is built over several extinct volcanoes.  See a Moa in one of the museums overlooking the harbour.

Apart from that already mentioned - if you have time get to Coromandel - the scenary & beachs are some of the best in NZ.

Also spend some time at the DRIVING CREEK railway just south of Coromandel.  Founded by Barry Brickell [1935-2016] to bring clay for his pottery down to the workshop. This place is unique - a narrow guage railway built by Barry & others. Features the local timber Kauri built Eye-full- tower.   www.dcrail.nz

Edited by SeaDog-46
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I agree with SeaDog-46 re the Driving Creek Railway -it's fantastic - I don't recommend trying to go to the Coromandel if you only have 2 days in Auckland. Explore Auckand city and the waterfront area plus Devonport on the first  day and do a day trip to Waiheke on the second. If you are flying into Auckland to start your travels you will need to factor in jet lag so pace yourself.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Although I agree with SeaDog-46 re the Driving Creek Railway -it's fantastic - I don't recommend trying to go to the Coromandel if you only have 2 days in Auckland. Explore Auckand city and the waterfront area plus Devonport on the first  day and do a day trip to Waiheke on the second. If you are flying into Auckland to start your travels you will need to factor in jet lag so pace yourself.

Thank you, we are flying in to Auckland direct from Vancouver. Air New Zealand premium economy, this is the longest flight we have ever done and we hope to be able to sleep. We arrive 0530 hrs. so are a little concerned about what to do with our gear until we can check in. We have booked Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour we hope that is a good choice. Even before we had the positive suggestions for Devonport that was high on or list, Now it is a definite. Again thank you, as time goes by I will be running through our full cruise itinerary seeking knowledge.

Cheers, Lyle

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you, we are flying in to Auckland direct from Vancouver. Air New Zealand premium economy, this is the longest flight we have ever done and we hope to be able to sleep. We arrive 0530 hrs. so are a little concerned about what to do with our gear until we can check in. We have booked Sebel Auckland Viaduct Harbour we hope that is a good choice. Even before we had the positive suggestions for Devonport that was high on or list, Now it is a definite. Again thank you, as time goes by I will be running through our full cruise itinerary seeking knowledge.

Cheers, Lyle

I am sure the hotel will store you luggage in a secure room until it is time for you to check in.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am sure the hotel will store you luggage in a secure room until it is time for you to check in.

Yes, they will, and the Sebel is in a great location. Easy walking around the Viaduct Basin, Wynyard Quarter, and Britomart Precinct with plenty of good restaurants. I highly recommend Oyster and Chop which is very close to the hotel. Pricey but great food.

• Thanks 1

If you land a 530 in the morning you probably won’t get to the hotel till 700.

If they don’t have a room ,they should have somewhere to have a shower and change clothes. Email them and check 
‘Make sure you bring plenty of those $CAN  because NZ is expensive and Australia isn’t far behind.

The chairman of the world bank a few years ago made a comment that had to get a mortgage to have dinner.

And Lyle we don’t tip ,the advertised price is the price you pay.

Thanks again. Glad we made a good choice on the hotel. We had booked elsewhere but didn't have a good feeling so cancelled that and booked the Sebel, thought the Viaduct was a good location seems close to everything.

Things aren't really cheap in Canada either and here we do tip so I think it's about the same. Also our Dollar is a little bit more than the currency down under. 

We were in your neck of the woods in 2016.  Absolutely loved the scenery and people, didn't love the bout of food poisoning I got that put me in Jasper hospital for 4 days, just got out in time to high tail it to Vancouver to board the ship for our Alaskan cruise.  Had planned to go back this year, leaving in May and doing a tour of USA before spending more time in BC and getting to see more of Vancouver than the short trip from the train station to the port.  Oh well, shall have fun planning it all again for next year or the one after.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:00 PM, Chiliburn said:

The maple syrup I had on my pancakes this morning is from Canada, the real stuff too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

The maple syrup I had on my pancakes this morning is from Canada, the real stuff too.

That was one of the many highlights I was looking forward to 🙂 Hopefully next year we will get to visit.

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That's not surprising 75% of the world supply of maple syrup comes from Canada and most of that from Quebec which is a long way from me.