Now for something completely different

28 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Salmon would have to be one of my favourite proteins.  I like it cooked through though.  Went to a very posh restaurant once and the salmon was gooey in the center, apparently this is 'the how a talented and experienced chef presents salmon' (yes, said to me by the waiter) I had to leave it.  It almost made me retch, can't do sushi either.

My wife likes it cooked right through, hence the crunchy exterior. She also likes the skin off, where as I prefer it on and crispy. I cook hers, take the skin off (for my plate) and sear the fresh edge for her.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Salmon would have to be one of my favourite proteins.  I like it cooked through though.  Went to a very posh restaurant once and the salmon was gooey in the center, apparently this is 'the how a talented and experienced chef presents salmon' (yes, said to me by the waiter) I had to leave it.  It almost made me retch, can't do sushi either.

When I cook salmon at home I cook it very rare but also enjoy it cooked through.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My wife likes it cooked right through, hence the crunchy exterior. She also likes the skin off, where as I prefer it on and crispy. I cook hers, take the skin off (for my plate) and sear the fresh edge for her.

Now that's a good idea - double crispy skin! Rolf doesn't like the skin either. I must try your technique. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love crispy skin.  We decided to have a day in the country and drove approx 280ks round trip, to the lovely town of Crookwell.  The country, after this refreshingly cool and rain-blessed summer, resembles the Emerald Isle.  Old town of Collector for a delicious light lunch on the way, then guess what Mic inspired us to have tonight?  Home via Fyshwick fresh food markets.  Shared a dozen fresh, sweet, meaty south coast oysters, then Mario barbecued salmon fillets perfectly for me:  crispy skin, but medium rare inside.  Fresh blueberries with passionfruit yoghurt to follow.  An indulgent three-courser.  Thanks, Mic.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Any chance of a dinner invitation..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I love crispy skin.  We decided to have a day in the country and drove approx 280ks round trip, to the lovely town of Crookwell.  The country, after this refreshingly cool and rain-blessed summer, resembles the Emerald Isle.  Old town of Collector for a delicious light lunch on the way, then guess what Mic inspired us to have tonight?  Home via Fyshwick fresh food markets.  Shared a dozen fresh, sweet, meaty south coast oysters, then Mario barbecued salmon fillets perfectly for me:  crispy skin, but medium rare inside.  Fresh blueberries with passionfruit yoghurt to follow.  An indulgent three-courser.  Thanks, Mic.

Your welcome, funnily enough, we had fresh Blueberries and strawberries in some custard.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

PS. I love anything tartare:  salmon, beef.  If it’s on the menu, I’ll order it.

There is a Japanese restaurant at Macquarie Centre in Sydney, Umaya, that has this amazing scallop and salmon ceviche dish in a wonderful citrusy dressing. We go the for lunch sometimes and always order this. Next time you're in Sydney take a wander across the harbour bridge and try it.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Your welcome, funnily enough, we had fresh Blueberries and strawberries in some custard.

Great minds?  Looking forward to catching up tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Nice day, Been out to Crookwell a few times, little heritage town. I like to stop at the wind farm viewing area on way.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You need to travel a long way for dinner but hey why not.

Next time we're visiting our daughter in Melba, I just might take you up on that.  You never know your luck 😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is a Japanese restaurant at Macquarie Centre in Sydney, Umaya, that has this amazing scallop and salmon ceviche dish in a wonderful citrusy dressing. We go the for lunch sometimes and always order this. Next time you're in Sydney take a wander across the harbour bridge and try it.

Thanks, Julie…my mouth is watering as I sit at the hairdressers with foils in my hair.  Must be quite a sight😳. My hairdresser just asked what I was smiling about 😂

• Haha 2

Papua New Guinea would be off the cruise list for now, what with the locals playing up, looting, rioting, 15 dead in Port Moresby and Lae.   Out of control.  Been there twice, I don't like it anyway.R.jpg.87c4b6e3180c2eaad8adde43db0e7701.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Nice day, Been out to Crookwell a few times, little heritage town. I like to stop at the wind farm viewing area on way.  

It’s a lovely drive, I agree, Les.  Lake George, often barely a puddle in years of dry seasons, is an inland sea.  The fence posts are all submerged, and it looks as I remember it as a child.  The rolling hills, stretching to the horizen in all directions, are cloaked in waving, vivid green grasses.  Therapy for the soul.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Papua New Guinea would be off the cruise list for now, what with the locals playing up, looting, rioting, 15 dead in Port Moresby and Lae.   Out of control.  Been there twice, I don't like it anyway.R.jpg.87c4b6e3180c2eaad8adde43db0e7701.jpg

I think you’re right, sadly.  I would dearly love to visit my mother’s first husband’s resting place in Bomana War Cemetery, but that may not be possible for a long time.

58 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Papua New Guinea would be off the cruise list for now, what with the locals playing up, looting, rioting, 15 dead in Port Moresby and Lae.   Out of control.  Been there twice, I don't like it anyway.

53 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I think you’re right, sadly.  I would dearly love to visit my mother’s first husband’s resting place in Bomana War Cemetery, but that may not be possible for a long time.

Not good news for PNG. We are glad we got to visit the Milne Bay area on our Sun Princess cruise in 2017 as Tracey's Dad served there in WW2.

I really do not know how the country can go forward. Australia has poured money into PNG for decades now, but it seems the country is no better today than before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks, Julie…my mouth is watering as I sit at the hairdressers with foils in my hair.  Must be quite a sight😳. My hairdresser just asked what I was smiling about 😂

Ahh, foiled again.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

It’s a lovely drive, I agree, Les.  Lake George, often barely a puddle in years of dry seasons, is an inland sea.  The fence posts are all submerged, and it looks as I remember it as a child.  The rolling hills, stretching to the horizen in all directions, are cloaked in waving, vivid green grasses.  Therapy for the soul.

The Urambi Hills and Brindabellas are all beautifully green, in 25 years, I haven't seen that.

• Like 1

The main trouble seems to be in Port Moresby as usual, although it has spread to other areas.

Rabual, Alatou and even the usual visited islands Kiriwina, Kitava and Conflict, don't  seem to have issues. I think it will be a watch and see situation for those ports of call.

I'm just having a look at the new itinerary and I don't think PNG is included. Of course my southern Hemisphere geography is sadly lacking, We have 2 stops in New Caledonia, and 2 in Vanuatu (is that one island or a group of islands) and 4 stops in Fiji which I know is a group of islands.

We are having our first snowfall of the season and it is cold (for here in Victoria) -9 celsius  with a wind chill as low as -20 celsius. We may get up to 5cm of snow, chaos will ensue on the roads as the yahoos in there bubba trucks with the 30" mud tires figure they have it made, until they're parked upside down in the median. Unfortunately the tires weren't suitable nor were their driving habits. I will be driving the Subaru tomorrow, it has very good all wheel drive and more importantly winter tires. Good thing I already planned for a short day tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Png is ofen a cruise on its own with nth Queensland ports, rather than with Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji.

Vanuatu is a group of islands, as is New Caledonia. Fiji is one large island with many smaller islands around it.

Seems late for snow and cold for western canada, but then I suppose Vancouver Island has its own climate being where it is.

@MicCanberra Thanks Mic, we are sort of looking at this as a voyage of discovery. We did quite a lot of research on New Zealand and OZ during the planning of the cancelled trips. We both have an interest in seeing Fiji and aren't that keen on flying (especially long haul). The repositioning cruise seemed a great solution.

As to our weather, we are in the middle of winter and the entire province is under extreme weather warnings. We had the warmest December on record here and now big arctic air flow. Apparently it will be cold for the next 4 or 5 days then easing off a bit. We have an appointment with our TA to sort out the details of the cruise. We are going to downgrade our cabin but then we lose some of the features of that booking with enhanced drinks and included gratuities being lost. Oh well, the switch from signature suite to veranda saves us $10,000.00 CDN on the full cruise price. The regular drink package works for us and I'm pretty sure we can cover the gratuities from the savings.

• Like 4

it is billed as a 43 night "collector" cruise on Holland America Westerdam it begins in Auckland March 16th 2025 and ending in Seattle 27th of April. Of course there is a stop in Victoria on the 26th so we will arrange to get off here.

The original 14 day cruise was $14,000.00, so by changing cabins categories we are adding 29 days for $16.000.00 and eliminating one long haul flight, of course we get to see more new places we haven't been as well. Then there is the whole crossing the equator by sea thing, probably not a big deal for Lynn but it is for this old Sea Cadet.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4