Airfare cancelled for Jade cruise, May 16-30, 2020

Norseh2o

Email today notifying us that our Delta Flights for 14-Day British Isles, Norway & Ireland from Amsterdam, May 16-30, 2020.  What will we do with a billion dollars of Delta e Ticket credit money ?  When will NCL cancel?! 

14 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

. . .   When will NCL cancel?! 

Waiting for the same answer regarding my May 17 British Isles cruise from Southampton on the Star.  My pre- and post-cruise hotels canceled before I got around to it.  The tour company I had booked with for transportation to and from the port has suspended operations.   The Van Gogh museum, which I had planned to visit on a port stop,  notified me that they are closed, and they are refunding my prepaid admission ticket.  Only NCL seems to think this cruise is happening.  

American canceled my direct flights and put me on flights with layovers.  I canceled on that basis.  My request for review is "pending review."   

15 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Email today notifying us that our Delta Flights for 14-Day British Isles, Norway & Ireland from Amsterdam, May 16-30, 2020.  What will we do with a billion dollars of Delta e Ticket credit money ?  When will NCL cancel?! 

If airline cancelled they have to refund if you request. Get on the phone with them or look on their website for link to request refunds

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akmarshall said:

Were you able to get a refund on a non-refundable ticket? 

Hello- yes, ticket was non refundable however Delta cancelled flight. You will be able to receive a refund under those circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Hardly surprising - Our lock down will not finish until earliest 11 May 2020 and I can assure our ports will not open to cruise ships this summer. The brits will simply not accept it after than a six week lockdown. There is no way Escape is coming to Southampton on 15 May 2020. Oh and BTW we have little or no Public transport !!!

I am also on the Jade May16th and Delta cancelled our flights. Unfortunately I had booked flight through Travelocity and never even received notice of flights cancellation. Delta says I must get my refund from Travelocity and I can’t even get through to them. Travelocity phone calls go through a loop and then hang up. I can’t afford to lose 3k in flights.

For anyone else with Delta tickets, they allowed us to cancel our 'non-refundable, non-changeable' flight to Miami (cruise cancelled).   Very generous cancellations right now.  We now have a credit with Delta that is good until May 31, 2022.

7 hours ago, IdRatherBCruisin said:

I am also on the Jade May16th and Delta cancelled our flights. Unfortunately I had booked flight through Travelocity and never even received notice of flights cancellation. Delta says I must get my refund from Travelocity and I can’t even get through to them. Travelocity phone calls go through a loop and then hang up. I can’t afford to lose 3k in flights.

One thing out of all this that I have learned is that the online agents may seem cheap but when things go wrong impossible to get through. I would involve your credit card company. The issue I think is the commission that the agents are losing now means that a lot of the online "bucket shops" are going to cease trading.. 

We booked our flight and hotel pre-cruise through Orbitz.  Didn't get an email notification, so I went to Orbitz and logged in and saw it was canceled.  I did the "chat online" option to ask about a refund and was only on hold for about 3 mins.  Got refunds on the way for both hotel and flight even though the hotel was nonrefundable at time of booking.  I was done and received refund confirmation via email all in about 10 mins.  The refund will take UP TO 30 days to show up on our card.  Very easy.

I'm booked for the Jade May 30 - June 13. Has anyone heard anything about this booking? My hotel in Amsterdam has already Emailed me to say there closed until May30th but United air lines and Norwegian have not said a word. This is only my 3rd cruise and The first time flying, I don't know what to do at this pointe. I got a lot of money invested and don't wont to lose it. This was going to be the vacation of a life time for my family but is turning into a nightmare. Any help or advice is welcome.

5 minutes ago, RoKa95 said:

I'm booked for the Jade May 30 - June 13. Has anyone heard anything about this booking? My hotel in Amsterdam has already Emailed me to say there closed until May30th but United air lines and Norwegian have not said a word. This is only my 3rd cruise and The first time flying, I don't know what to do at this pointe. I got a lot of money invested and don't wont to lose it. This was going to be the vacation of a life time for my family but is turning into a nightmare. Any help or advice is welcome.

United Airlines is allowing cancelations of flights through the end of the year for a credit to be used for future  flights.  The details are on their website.  Read everything carefully, but it looks like you can save the value of your flights for a trip next year.  The alternative to you canceling for a credit is to keep checking to see if United cancels your flights, in which case you are theoretically entitled to a refund, though reports are - and my own experience is - that could take a while.   If you booked through a travel site, then you need to deal with them.   A co-worker of mine was able to cancel a United flight through Expedia for a credit.  

I feel your pain.  I am on the May 17-31 Star cruise around the British Isles, which also has not been canceled by NCL, but I am definitely not going on it.   If NCL doesn't cancel, then I will before the 48-hour period, which will get me a credit, not a refund, but better than losing it all.   You have that same option to cancel anytime up to 48 hours before sailing for a credit. 

3 hours ago, RoKa95 said:

I'm  very sorry about your situation.   (We were booked on a river cruise out of Amsterdam departing April 8; obviously that did not happen.)  It's pretty difficult to believe that your cruise will take place (and, if somehow it does, you'll have to decide for yourself how safe you think you would be flying and traveling internationally right now; it's not something I would do).   You should be monitoring your United flight(s) daily; they make changes all the time and don't notify their passengers.   As for NCL, their MO seems to be to wait until the last minute to cancel cruises. 

If you are even thinking about going on this cruise were it to happen (again, it seems very unlikely that it will), you should keep monitoring the restrictions imposed by the EU (and enforced by the Netherlands) on non-essential travel into the EU by citizens of non-EU countries. You can see the alerts issued regularly by the American Consulate in the Netherlands at the link below; right now, non-essential travel into the Netherlands is banned through May 15.

https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/

You should be thinking about your best strategy for minimizing your financial loss should you decide not to travel, or if NCL and/or United cancels on you.   See Joanne's advice in comment 17 above.    United may well cancel your flight(s), and you may want to wait to see if they do so.  Same for NCL.   Typically, you are in a better financial position if the travel provider cancels on you first, but you have to make that assessment for yourself.  Also, when an airline changes your flight schedule (e.g., by cancelling a non-stop and putting you on a long layover), you may be able to cancel for a full refund, depending on the changes and the airline's policy.

Again, this is a very tough thing to deal with.  Good luck in sorting it all out, and stay healthy.  

In case any of you are getting airlines saying they’ll *only* issue credit be aware that EU rules require them to offer a refund if it’s the airline that cancels the flight. (This applies to flights arriving or departing from an eu airport). If they cancel within 14 days of the travel date they also have to payout compensation in addition to the fare paid.

They are following the rules at the moment but making it as difficult as possible to get a refund some requiring us to use premium rate phone lines with hours-long wait times.

The airlines over here are trying to get the EU to change the rules about refunds but as of this moment the consumer protections are still in place. With all the cruise line hijinx I can see that law being extended to ships in future particularly if any of them change their booking t&cs to prevent refunds. 

Edited by eileeshb

On 4/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, Tom O said:

Yes I called Delta non refundable tickets 5round trip it went better than I expected all of about two minutes full refund received refund email before call was complete

You just gave me incredible peace of mind I have been worrying about our non refundable tickets holding out on good news that I just got from your post Thank you!!!

More news about Amsterdam. Ban on ALL large scale public events such as sports and music festivals extended until September 1st. If they're not allowing their own citizens to gather in large public events you can kiss ANY cruiseship from docking in Amsterdam until December if not into 2021.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-netherlands/dutch-extend-ban-on-major-public-events-until-sept-1-idUSS8N2AW01F

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with Delta. They had changed our nonstop Seattle to Orlando flight at the end of May to a connecting flight with plane change. They are refunding our non-refundable tickets plus the extra money paid for priority boarding. Quick and painless. Way to go Delta!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, akmarshall said:

I just got off the phone with Delta. They had changed our nonstop Seattle to Orlando flight at the end of May to a connecting flight with plane change. They are refunding our non-refundable tickets plus the extra money paid for priority boarding. Quick and painless. Way to go Delta!

I had the same experience with Delta for a NY trip that I had used Sky Miles to book, plus Amex to pay for upgrades.  Both my $$$ and miles were back in my accounts within three business days.

• Like 3

Wow, this was so easy and the Delta representative was super nice. Non refundable tickets and no more than 8 minutes total on the phone got my refund processed without any questions asked. Way to go Delta!!!!!!!

• Like 3