Princess canceled the 2020 Alaskan season

rdemn

On 4/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, Chad_O said:

I received an email this afternoon urging me to prepare for my September 2020 Alaska cruise. At this point anything resembling an assurance of cruising is welcome! I understand that things can change but I am still excited and optimistic. I hope you all are safe and healthy and able to cruise soon!

After 2 weeks, there seems to be nothing from princess that backs up the title of this thread:

"Princess canceled the 2020 Alaskan season"

Maybe some email got away without authorization...

We just booked an end of July Alaska Cruise from Seattle. Booked a balcony in case we are stuck for an extra 2 weeks on the ship. Maybe we will end up in Long Beach for quarantine, and we can visit the kids.

Very few of the cabins are booked. I'd be surprised if more than 1/3 of the cabins are filled for the first cruise at the beginning of July. Maybe that is the plan - 50% or less occupancy.

Well, we are still booked on the Ruby Princess out of Seattle  July  4th. That's  the first to resume sailing.  Our delayed final payment is due in a few days. But, can't see paying that or continuing with that Voyage on the Ruby that's had so much covid 19 with the crew + several passengers die after getting off in AUSTRALIA.  One question is how do you eat in dining room while wearing a mask? We would think masks would be mandatory. Under the circumstances we hope Princess cancels(avoids penalty from our travel agent), since we worry it won't  be safe. Especially after a 7 hr. plane ride from east coast. Now, There are now 20 deaths linked to the Ruby Princess and more than 900 cases of coronavirus. Can they really make it safe? This from ABC news .....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-17/nsw-police-probe-ruby-princess-voayges-question-passengers/12156940

They are still selling Alaska July 4/20 cruise On Ruby. I went through booking process, yes, website worked this time right up to accepting payment. I did not book. Just wondered,  as I saw new fb post that someone had booked it Sat. 

We Cancelled our inside passage 7/4/20 Ruby Princess cruise today. That's 1 day b4 our final payment was due. We get a FCC for the deposit. Hoping to re-schedule later this summer. But more likely to re-schedule for next year with Hope's for a vaccine.  Everyone please be safe. 

14 hours ago, Willwils said:

We Cancelled our inside passage 7/4/20 Ruby Princess cruise today. That's 1 day b4 our final payment was due. We get a FCC for the deposit. Hoping to re-schedule later this summer. But more likely to re-schedule for next year with Hope's for a vaccine.  Everyone please be safe. 

Probably wise ... 

I hear the governor of Washington just extended the lockdown in his state.  I doubt the piers in Seattle will open back up by July.  

On 4/30/2020 at 9:01 PM, richmke said:

We just booked an end of July Alaska Cruise from Seattle. Booked a balcony in case we are stuck for an extra 2 weeks on the ship. Maybe we will end up in Long Beach for quarantine, and we can visit the kids.

um...no. If you are in quarantine you won't be visiting anyone. They won't be visiting you either.

Edited by frugaltravel

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Probably wise ... 

I hear the governor of Washington just extended the lockdown in his state.  I doubt the piers in Seattle will open back up by July.  

Do you remember what the new lockdown date is? 

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Do you remember what the new lockdown date is? 

Officially, it is on May 31st with a phased in reopening starting as of today ... but, with only low risk activities allowable.  

https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/20-25.3 - COVID-19 Stay Home Stay Healthy - Reopening (tmp).pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

7 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

um...no. If you are in quarantine you won't be visiting anyone. They won't be visiting you either.

Precisely!  But, I also don't think the cruiselines will even take a chance again of having to quarantine passengers on a ship ever again.  Way too much bad publicity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Officially, it is on May 31st with a phased in reopening starting as of today ... but, with only low risk activities allowable.  

https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/20-25.3 - COVID-19 Stay Home Stay Healthy - Reopening (tmp).pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Thanks for the information.  I am about to go nuts with Newsom's order -- glad I don't live in Washington State anymore.

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks for the information.  I am about to go nuts with Newsom's order -- glad I don't live in Washington State anymore.

I hear you loud and clear!!   I won't make this political and only fact based info but just wanted to mention if you are outside of the Bay Area, you are at least entering into phase 2 by the end of the week.  The Bay Area has some more severe restrictions but, we also had a much larger problem than the inland and northern areas of the state.  Much of that had to do with not only the cruise port right there in SF but, also from all the international flights into SFO from Wuhan earlier in the year.  Many of my friends, former coworkers and neighbors were actually amongst those on those flights.  

BTW, both governors (Washington and California) are now facing lawsuits regarding overreach of their shut down orders.  

58 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I hear you loud and clear!!   I won't make this political and only fact based info but just wanted to mention if you are outside of the Bay Area, you are at least entering into phase 2 by the end of the week.  The Bay Area has some more severe restrictions but, we also had a much larger problem than the inland and northern areas of the state.  Much of that had to do with not only the cruise port right there in SF but, also from all the international flights into SFO from Wuhan earlier in the year.  Many of my friends, former coworkers and neighbors were actually amongst those on those flights.  

BTW, both governors (Washington and California) are now facing lawsuits regarding overreach of their shut down orders.  

Sacramento County here.  Heard about Phase 2, we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, cruiser1956 said:

We are booked on the Ruby departing Sept. 12th to Alaska.  I haven't heard anything yet from Princess.  I am being optimistic.  We will safely sail and enjoy every moment!

Well, so much for being optimistic!  Got the dreaded email yesterday.  Cruise is officially cancelled.  Sad day for sure!

Well of course only after I cancelled our Ruby Princess 7/4/20 Alaska cruise, Princess cancelled that & all other Summer 2020 Alaska cruises. Only had a deposit, but now my travel  agent  said , after checking w/ Princess, that we are ineligible for their bonus double deposit back for FCC. 

see announcement...

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause-2020-summer-season.html

On 5/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, Cruise Raider said:

The lead plaintiff in one suit said at a news conference:  "We can take care of this virus by letting the people catch it."  He used to be an NFL tight end; most likely he received one too many knocks to the head.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, Cruise Raider said:

People are suing for the right to die early.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Willwils said:

Well of course only after I cancelled our Ruby Princess 7/4/20 Alaska cruise, Princess cancelled that & all other Summer 2020 Alaska cruises. Only had a deposit, but now my travel  agent  said , after checking w/ Princess, that we are ineligible for their bonus double deposit back for FCC. 

see announcement...

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause-2020-summer-season.html

Not sure why you think you are ineligible for the double deposit FCC as that is what Princess Says on their announcement.

11 hours ago, Willwils said:

9 hours ago, Cash123 said:

Not sure why you think you are ineligible for the double deposit FCC as that is what Princess Says on their announcement.

That's per travel agent, who says they checked with Princess.