Princess canceled the 2020 Alaskan season

rdemn

26 minutes ago, rdemn said:

Just got an email on my August 11, 2020 Alaskan cruise is canceled along with the 2020 Alaskan cruise season.

That’s so very sad for the tourism sector throughout that region. Just loved our 2 Alaskan cruises over the last couple of years, sure hope to go back in the not too distant future!

Stay safe!

Vicki. 😊

• Like 1

That's what their going to try. Ruby and Emerald only sailing out of Seattle.  (not from other us ports)

If Canada does do the July 1st date still and.or the can bypass Canada. They

are going to try. Not written in stone yet.  Alaska will be hurting with out all the

cruise ships not docking.

Had two cancelled for May.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rdemn said:

Just got an email on my August 11, 2020 Alaskan cruise is canceled along with the 2020 Alaskan cruise season.

Us too. I guess I'll start completing the forms tomorrow.

We were booked on the Star. It’s nice to finally have that officially addressed. I’m disappointed but I understand. I am glad we didn’t make it to final payment but wonder how long it will take for cruising and the world to get back to normal 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

We were booked on the Star. It’s nice to finally have that officially addressed. I’m disappointed but I understand. I am glad we didn’t make it to final payment but wonder how long it will take for cruising and the world to get back to normal 

Star here to thinking road trip

We were scheduled on the Grand Princess to Alaska for Sept. 12-22 R/T from Vancouver. Got an e-mail tonight that the cruise had been cancelled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is what I was told today from a Princess Planner who has worked for Princess for many years

after they had a meeting  this morning, This is what they want for the Ruby and Emerald. Will it

happens, who knows. Some in Alaska would like it because the cruise season is when they make

their money.

Everything would just have to be right. Virus down, ships ready ect.

No one on land or sea wants to get sick.  All we can do is wait and see.

1 hour ago, the_thunderbird said:

Not an option, Canadian stop is needed for any non-US built ship, which is all of them. 

Edit, reply above mine is more helpful!

Doesn’t have to be Canada. 
A cruise could go from Long Beach or San Diego to Mexico and then on to Alaska. 

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

The US would have to rescind the Jones act which prohibits sailing from one us for to another without a foreign port in-between. No way will they do that and encourage crusing while the country is locked down.

Jones act does not apply to cruise ships.  PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886) does.

However, PVSA requirements can be met with a stop for paperwork without any passengers actually going ashore.

• Like 4

Our cruise tour was scheduled to depart on 1 July which was nominally when Canada was going to reopen for cruise ships, so we were very happy to get the cancellation email - and we'll be getting the refund rather than FCC. Also good to see that we may be able to recover some of our airline cancellation fees as well (flying from NZ to Canada return).

While many Alaskan businesses will suffer financially and there will be calls to let the cruise ships come, just as many Alaskans would be worried about so many tourists potentially bringing covid to their small communities.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Belle said:

Why the cruises are starting from Seattle if they do is..because no cruises from

LA or SF this year to Alaska.  Again what I was told.  

I was even looking at a Pacific Coastal cruise for September of this year and was told that was iffy as it had two Canadian port stops.  Looks like nothing is solved as of yet.  

4 hours ago, StuartP said:

Our cruise tour was scheduled to depart on 1 July which was nominally when Canada was going to reopen for cruise ships, so we were very happy to get the cancellation email - and we'll be getting the refund rather than FCC. Also good to see that we may be able to recover some of our airline cancellation fees as well (flying from NZ to Canada return).

While many Alaskan businesses will suffer financially and there will be calls to let the cruise ships come, just as many Alaskans would be worried about so many tourists potentially bringing covid to their small communities.

I understood that Alaskan towns requested everyone to self quarantine when coming into their state for at least 14 days.  That would make cruises impossible anyway.   They will take an economic tanking but, what area in the US hasn't taken a big hit?  

I seriously doubt there will be any Alaskan sailings this year, even for those two ships out of Seattle.  They may be taking the wait and see approach but, even with that, the confidence in the statement from Princess seemed to be one of resignation.  

• Like 1

Have received no email from Princess, but did see a You tube video last night from the Pres. of Princess indicating that all Alaska cruise-tours for 2020 were cancelled.  We were scheduled from Aug. 22 from Vancouver to Sept. 3 in Fairbanks.  Final payment not due until May, but thought we'd get our deposit back or info on future cruises. 

I received an email this afternoon urging me to prepare for my September 2020 Alaska cruise. At this point anything resembling an assurance of cruising is welcome! I understand that things can change but I am still excited and optimistic. I hope you all are safe and healthy and able to cruise soon!

We received an email from Princess informing us that our Alaska Cruise on the Royal, Sep 19th, round trip Van has been cancelled. Although disappointed, I expected this to come. I am wondering why they canceled most Alaska cruises but are still planning to sail the Emerald and the Ruby at the end of summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, #1Nanna said:

We received an email from Princess informing us that our Alaska Cruise on the Royal, Sep 19th, round trip Van has been cancelled. Although disappointed, I expected this to come. I am wondering why they canceled most Alaska cruises but are still planning to sail the Emerald and the Ruby at the end of summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be glad your cruise was canceled. Sep 19 is REALLY late for an Alaskan cruise.

Emerald and Ruby depart from Seattle and only start on/after July 1 and even then only if Canada opens their ports to ships. Also depends on Washington state and if they allow it.

Edited by frugaltravel