Galveston Terminal Upgrade

17 minutes ago, TxKroozer said:

So follow up question would be will the delay affect the scheduled cruises already being booked on the Allure out of Galveston? Thoughts?

There are many threads on this, some say well they could use a tent to accommodate the extra pax  or they might not move it here.

No one knows. I saw where the city council was voting about allowing it and the vote might have been postponed. Rcl asked but I havent seen where Galveston said ok.

My feeling is that if they could have docked an Oasis class ship in Galveston without the need  for a new terminal they would have already had an a Oasis class ship there.  

I also think that what Royal is asking for is an extension on their due diligence period which was supposed to expire in April.  Up until that deadline Royal has the right to walk away from the deal.  I feel like they have the Port between a rock and a hard place...either the Port approves the extension or Royal walks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My feeling is that if they could have docked an Oasis class ship in Galveston without the need  for a new terminal they would have already had an a Oasis class ship there.  

I also think that what Royal is asking for is an extension on their due diligence period which was supposed to expire in April.  Up until that deadline Royal has the right to walk away from the deal.  I feel like they have the Port between a rock and a hard place...either the Port approves the extension or Royal walks. 

No doubt, Royal is holding ball the cards, no one else is beating down the door to do a multi million dollar renovation of the land in question. 

2 hours ago, TxKroozer said:

So follow up question would be will the delay affect the scheduled cruises already being booked on the Allure out of Galveston? Thoughts?

An Oasis class ship can not travel into the terminal area as it is currently constructed; part

of the project is to be dredging and widening of the turning basin. 
I can only guess Allure bookings that have already been made will be cancelled. 

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

An Oasis class ship can not travel into the terminal area as it is currently constructed; part

This was discussed in another Galveston group I'm in and they said this is not true. That the car carriers are dredging it deep enough for them and allure doesnt need the depth of car carriers. That other than a bigger terminal actually allure can dock. I'm not up on engineering but these folks live near the port. The same folks who posted the city council delaying the vote on rcl delay.

Which is why I mentioned above people were thinking what could help with boarding and said maybe a tent or something. I'm going to take their word for it that the depth isnt the issue it's the larger number of pax to board unless I see a link saying they have it wrong

• 2 weeks later...

The Port of Galveston will meet on Tuesday with the Board of Trustees to discuss a variety of topics, including Royal Caribbean's proposed construction delay of Terminal 3.

The Port Director's Report has been posted in advance of the meeting, and it includes a few interesting talking points that will be covered in the meeting.

Galveston is working with Royal Caribbean on the possibility of receiving Anthem of the Seas at the current Cruise Terminal 2. There is no dates associated with this plan, just the posting of the idea.

A decision will need to be made during the meeting on approving Royal Caribbean's request to delay the new Terminal 3 by one year. In late March, Royal Caribbean asked the Port of Galveston to delay the start of the new cruise terminal by one year.

If approved, the target completion date would now be September 1, 2022.

The conceptual plan for the East End Cruise Corridor (shown below) includes not only the new Royal Caribbean Terminal 3, but an additional 4th cruise terminal at the current Del Monte terminal.

Terminal 3 will be built on 10 acres of land at Pier 10, and will be used by Royal Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean has reiterated that Galveston is an integral part of Royal's strategic plan.

The plan for Terminal Three was announced in December 2019, with the added bonus of Allure of the Seas moving to Galveston to begin sailings shortly after the terminal opened in November 2021.

Many thanks to ***** reader Galveston Steve for alerting us to this news.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

FYI

Comparison RCL Class Ships to Galveston Port Channel -

Class / Overall Length Ft* / Draft Ft

Voyager / 1021 Ft / 29 Ft
Quantum / 1142 Ft / 29 Ft
Freedom / 1112 Ft / 29 Ft
Oasis / 1181 Ft / 31 Ft

Galveston Port Channel
“Narrowest” Width 1200 (it is much wider at turning basin)
Minimum Depth 45

* not at waterline and relative to turn around

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Apparently Royal got their request for a delay approved.  Still doesn't answer the burning question😇

I'm waiting for the official determination about the fate of Allure sailing from Galveston. We're booked for an early 2022 B-2-B.  That'll change if a different ship takes Allure's place.....

10 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

I'm waiting for the official determination about the fate of Allure sailing from Galveston. We're booked for an early 2022 B-2-B.  That'll change if a different ship takes Allure's place.....

It will be Allure or Anthem or could it be both ? Or One with smaller ships . Either way they will sail out of Terminal # 2 with or without tent .   

Edited by ssb

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

So it's still 45' at the pier?

If Oasis Class is two feet deeper than Freedom , it is not a problem . Quantum Class is same as Freedom Class(Liberty here now).  If it is a problem,  dredging happens routinely to maintain required depths of 45ft.  That is all spelled out in contracts, and Navigational  State and Federal Specifications. 

Oasis / 1181 Ft / 31 Ft 

23 minutes ago, ssb said:

It will be Allure or Anthem or could it be both ? Or One with smaller ships . Either way they will sail out of Terminal # 2 with or without tent .   

Allure will not board without a proper terminal. Tent won't cut it

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ssb said:

If Oasis Class is two feet deeper than Freedom , it is not a problem . Quantum Class is same as Freedom Class(Liberty here now).  If it is a problem,  dredging happens routinely to maintain required depths of 45ft.  That is all spelled out in contracts, and Navigational  State and Federal Specifications. 

Oasis / 1181 Ft / 31 Ft 

Just sharing experiences. 

The channel in PC is around 44' deep, and they dredge often. But the piers aren't near that deep. The biggest delay in making T1 operational was modifying the new pier. Lots of unanticipated underwater work from the previous facilities. 

FWIW, Terminal 1 was up and operational about 5 months prior to Oasis arrival, but it was 3-4 months late.

Screenshot_20200428-182521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c4ef1a151f075aff5ab01c2b2ea03f0.jpg

Pride certainly could be one of those circumstances for sure if that is still important .  Royal wanted and promised an Oasis Class Ship in Galveston . In today’s world  conditions can certainly circumstantially change .