Changes in past 10 years?

lenetere

Our first few cruises were on HAL.  (Before it had HMC!)  We've cruised them several times, but I just realized it's been 10 years since our last HAL cruise.  What should I expect to be the same, or a noticeable change?  Does it still have teak loungers on the wrap around promenade?  Is entertainment still 2 production shows and guest entertainers?  Is there still a crew show?  HAL's service used to be some of the most gracious on the seas; is it still?

We have sailed several different cruise lines and love them all for different reasons.  What will I love most about HAL now?

A lot depends on the ship. Crew shows are still there. Service is usually the same very high quality.

HAL seems to have eliminated the man with the chimes to call you to dinner (fixed seating time, only). Also missing is the “Yum-Yum” man giving out mints, etc. after dinner in the MDR.

The best new addition is Lincoln Center Stage, a classical music quintet.

Above is as of the last cruise in March 2020.

Everything may change if and when cruising resumes.

OP - what ship are you planning to sail on?  It can make a difference.

We have still had the dinner chimes on some ships but not on others.

the teak chairs are on the wrap around decks on all the ships but the newest ones (Pinnacle Class) - currently Koningsdam and N Statendam.  You can walk around the deck but the view isn’t the same as on the other cruise ships.

There are still crew shows but “Love in any Language” is not sung any more, usually.

The crew is still gracious and smiling.

Depending on the ship you are sailing there are different specialty restaurant venues that can be enjoyable.

Libraries are basically gone on most ships except the smaller ones. (R & S class)

There is still music on board and again, it depends on what ship you are sailing.

There will be a number of changes I suspect after covid 19 as to pre-screening, procedures on board, etc.  Only time can tell.

3 hours ago, lenetere said:

HAL's service used to be some of the most gracious on the seas; is it still?

I know this opinion isn't the most popular with HAL loyalists but no, in my opinion, HAL service is not what it used to be.  From my last couple HAL cruises, I don't think service was any better...or worse...than the other 6 lines I've sailed.  

• Like 1