The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

24 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm sure even some of the entertainers share cabins.  I know that they do on Carnival ships because I have a friend who's been doing it. Not sure about Regent, but I can guarantee that the stewards and stewardess, the kitchen staff, and wait staff all share cabins.

Yes of course, managers and senior officers don't.  I'm betting that middle adminstration probably do as well, although I'm betting their cabins are bigger.

The specialty entertainers and guest lecturers are usually in guest cabins. I think some of the lower rank staff are 4 to a cabin....most (bartenders, wait staff, etc.)are 2. I think the 2 to 3.5 stripers bunk alone in a non-passenger cabins but I am not sure if this is still the case.

Edited by Pcardad

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Truer words have never been spoken....;)

I do know as a fact that the Captain and Staff Captain have suites next to the bridge.  They have told me so themselves - they need to be next to the bridge in case of an emergency (one of them is on the bridge while the other  generally in there suite).  I have seen officers going into and out of their suites (deck 7 - do not recall the ships).

Such a silly thing to argue about.  When you are onboard Regent again, check it out for yourselves.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

I have never visited the crew quarters.

Why are folks, who have never cruised on Regent, so concerned with the crew quarters? Are you raising this issue on other cruise lines CC boards? If so, I would love to know what you found. 
We have been friendly with many of the crew over the years onboard. I have never heard a complaint. 
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I am not arguing...I was laughing about crew members "sharing cabins"....there is a LOT of that.

Yes, I know what you mean!

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do know as a fact that the Captain and Staff Captain have suites next to the bridge.  They have told me so themselves - they need to be next to the bridge in case of an emergency (one of them is on the bridge while the other  generally in there suite).  I have seen officers going into and out of their suites (deck 7 - do not recall the ships).

Such a silly thing to argue about.  When you are onboard Regent again, check it out for yourselves.

No one is arguing, just speculating.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, I know what you mean!

No one is arguing, just speculating.

I know that you were not arguing.  Another poster was coming at me rather harshly and I was trying not to "name" the poster.  Perhaps I should have since both you and Pcardad thought that I was referring to you.  So sorry.  I'll be more specific in the future.

• Haha 2

TC, this is meant as a lighthearted observation and not a dig...  but I suspect that the officers and crew consider their accommodations as 'cabins' rather than 'suites'.   😉

• Like 2

Where the need to improve accommodations for non-senior employees is concerned, I’m with TC. I’d feel better knowing that the service and mechanical workers weren’t jammed two to a closet sized room, even if there were no pandemic. And as there is a pandemic, this treatment is just not humane! And it is unsafe for crew and guests alike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

TC, this is meant as a lighthearted observation and not a dig...  but I suspect that the officers and crew consider their accommodations as 'cabins' rather than 'suites'.   😉

If you say that this isn’t a dig - I’ll buy it.  Regent advertises their ships (except for Naviagator) as “all suites”.  So, if anyone is staying in a passenger accommodation, I call them suites.  When I refer to crew quarters, I refer to them as cabins.  In my opinion, for those that have not sailed on Regent, I thought that this verbiage would differentiate between crew cabins and passenger suites.  To me it would sound a bit funny to say that some officers are staying in “passenger cabins” since, according to Regent’s description, passenger cabins do not exist.

I’m almost sure that my explanation was more confusing that it needed to be.  I do hope that all posts will remain lighthearted.  We can get the same points accords without attacking anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Where the need to improve accommodations for non-senior employees is concerned, I’m with TC. I’d feel better knowing that the service and mechanical workers weren’t jammed two to a closet sized room, even if there were no pandemic. And as there is a pandemic, this treatment is just not humane! And it is unsafe for crew and guests alike.

The housing of crew is going to be an issue for all lines.  Due to limitations in expanding their onboard living space, I'm guessing that aggressive and frequent health monitoring of the crew will be a likely outcome going forward.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, JMARINER said:

IMO, speculating is not going to produce any result that will ever be realized .

Cruising will not return until there is a vaccine or unless there is a near 100% cure rate protocol or medicine  discovered. 

Like it or not people will not go and more importantly the Cruise lines will not want to take the liability. Even now there are hundreds of Covid19 lawsuits against them. they might defend against current law suits because they didn't know the risk with the Covid19 infection. How do they do counter this issue going forward. Putting any kind of waiver in the contract would be unenforceable. 

J

First, I am asking this nicely so kindly take it that way.  I have watched the news - probably too much and it seems that, since no one in the world knows when there will be a cure or vaccine for the virus,.  So, how can you make what appears to be a factual statement about cruising?   This seems to be going against what everyone in the cruise industry is stating.  

I'm just wondering since some of us are trying understand what needs to be done for cruising to resume.  I could go on and on about this but, for now, just want to know where your information is coming from.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I'm just wondering since some of us are trying understand what needs to be done for cruising to resume.  I could go on and on about this but, for now, just want to know where your information is coming from.

Thank you.

Cold layup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

Cold layup.

I believe that the Press Release was about NCLH - not specifically Regent.  I completely understand putting some NCL ships into "cold layup" as they have so many ship ......... but ,why are you assuming that Regent will do that.  After all, they only have a few ships.

Jackie, I have a proposition for you and everyone else on this board.  There are 331 itineraries currently on Regent website.  Why don't we each put in $20 and select which itinerary we believe will be the first to sail an unmodified itinerary.  For reference I recommend we use the Voyages to Explorer July 2020 through May 2022 book as website can be changed at any time.  

Anyone interested?

If multiple people choose the same cruise, they split the pot.  If multiple people say NONE (i.e., Regent will never sail any of the itineraries in the book) they split the pot.  If nobody selects the right answer we just all keep our money.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Jackie, I have a proposition for you and everyone else on this board.  There are 331 itineraries currently on Regent website.  Why don't we each put in $20 and select which itinerary we believe will be the first to sail an unmodified itinerary.  For reference I recommend we use the Voyages to Explorer July 2020 through May 2022 book as website can be changed at any time.  

Anyone interested?

If multiple people choose the same cruise, they split the pot.  If multiple people say NONE (i.e., Regent will never sail any of the itineraries in the book) they split the pot.  If nobody selects the right answer we just all keep our money.

Marc

Fun idea but I suspect that if we do that, CC would be quite upset with us!

Having read through this thread, I'm not sure why there have been a couple of comments that seem to negate the questions/issues raised by someone who has not sailed on Regent.  I hope that anyone can put forth questions whether they have sailed on Regent or not.  

The issues raised about crew conditions resonate with many of us who have traveled frequently with Regent as evidenced by the number of posts.  I have not seen the crew quarters nor things such as their dining areas or recreation areas.  But among crew members living in tight quarters with shared facilities it will be very difficult to prevent transmission of covid-19 (or other infectious agent transmitted in a similar manner).  IMO masks are unlikely to provide significant protection in situations where people are in contact around the clock in tight, shared living quarters.  Masks are only a part of the protocol for minimizing transmission. 

I think we will have to wait to find what infection control measures health officials come up with to see if cruise ships will be able to comply. I just don't see how cruise ships will be able to operate unless there are dramatic changes from what we know about transmission at this time or there is a vaccine.

• Like 3

I do not see (or have dismissed from my mind) anyone that would negate the comments from people that have not cruised on Regent.  Rather, I feel that it worth the time to make more detailed explanations to possible future cruisers.  They have not seen the ships - are not familiar with the set-up of restaurants, public areas or the steps that Regent takes to sanitize their ships 24/7.  It is up to us to attempt to share the information that we have gained by cruising on Regent.

The answers to some of our questions will likely come from SOLAS and/or CLIA.  They, IMHO, can take the information from “some” health officials, analyze it and determine how to go forward in a safe and healthy way.

• Haha 1

TC, as I posted before, the matter of Regent being able to sail again (with profitable number of guests) depends on two things. First, governmental regs to dock in all involved countries. Second, whether bookings can be had under those rules given the concerns of potential guests.. All cruise lines will need to pass both tests. So if CLIA negotiates rules with the governments that potential guests don’t want to risk, it is all over (which I don’t want at all). 

6 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

That's a very nice sentiment , but realistic? No

I must be a very simplistic person, but in my view, we either learn to cruise with risk, or we dont cruise. All of a sudden cruise lines are not going to put crew members in their own single cabin, sacrificing pax cabins revenue ( actually, I thought the norm was 4  crew members to a cabin, hopefully I'm wrong), cut down number of tables in restaurants by half ( can you imagine the mess to get seated!!), demand we wear masks ,and that we keep our distance in hallways, on deck, in lounges etc, etc. Well, of course, they could do any of those things, but it would make zero sense economically. Well, at least it would make zero sense to me, but we'll see!

• Like 4

I guess no one wants to hazard a guess.  

I think initial cruises will be three or four day cruises out of Miami to Coco Cay sold or given to Florida residents only; these will be designed to work out the kinks in the new procedures.  As for an unmodified itinerary, I am hopeful it might be 7 Dec 20 Splendor seven nights Miami round trip; however, I wouldn't bet on that as it could be much later.

• Like 1

Regarding the original posting and the future of luxury cruising, I'm in the "wait and see" camp.  I continue to follow all of the cruise boards of lines that we are considering sailing, the responses that have taken place since COVID-19 has become an issue (and, for some before it became an issue for the line), and will make decisions based on how the lines are responding to this current, unforeseen, circumstance(s).

Although I know some posters would prefer only current cruisers post on this board, I (we) have now reached a point in our lives where a World Cruise was in our plans for the future.  Regent was/is one of the lines that I (we) have considered.  Our future travel, much as is true for the cruise lines, is up in the air.  I will continue to follow our preferred lines to see how all of this plays out.  I'm sure that other are in the same boat (pun intended).

• Like 1

Speaking only for myself, I do not prefer that only current cruisers post on this board.  However, in terms of what Regent can or will do in the future in terms of distancing, etc., it helps to have a response from current cruisers as there have been so many changes with the Regent ships in the last three or so years (complete remodel of La Veranda on Mariner and Voyager for instance).  When someone that has not sailed on Regent before, when they let us know, I am happy to take extra time to explain, from my standpoint, the layout of the ships, the sanitization procedures, etc.  Some new cruisers (or those that have not sailed in a while) may be interested (or not) to know that the public restroom doors on Splendor and Explorer do not require you to touch them ..... simply way your hand in front of the sensor and viola - it opens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As experienced Regent cruisers, I love to answer questions and share our knowledge with new cruisers, offering factual information, and some opinions. 
My objection is to certain new posters, who have never been on a Regent ship, who continually express gloom and doom opinions regarding the ships and potential bankruptcy. And, they are not asking questions, rather offering their depressing opinions. 

Most of us who have sailed on Regent, are not stupid and understand the financial problems and safety changes that may be necessary in the future. 
But, we look on the bright side and would rather play games debating when the first scheduled sailing will occur.
When there is important information that is offered to us, we are appreciative that our fellow cruisers have posted it.  
So, all those of you who are new to Regent, keep the questions coming.

sheila

• Like 6