The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

10 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

As I posted above, I hope that Regent will be allowed to cruise soon. It is clean, small shipped, and uncrowded. NCL is none of these things. 

Everyone hopes that Regent  and all cruise lines of choice will be able to cruise soon but I think it may be time for you to consider a private yacht charter. Using your theory, people on a Sea Dream ship would turn up their noses if the Explorer pulled into an adjacent berth with all of those people. It seems to have to do with people in close contact and not the constant banging that the big ships sail with people who are unclean. If you have considerable funds available for travel, it may be time to  enjoy them rather than this vague insinuation that I keep picking up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Some of my clients charter in the 70M range and they are about the nicest people I have ever met.

Of course they are! And they are probably no more clean or dirty than other cruisers. They simply have more space. 

• Like 1

Ok I am prepared to be shot down but a Covid-19 quick test has been trialled albeit not for cruising.

This may have been raised already, Emirates have done a trial run on a flight Dubai to Tunisia.  Although I haven’t seen any further news on this but if it is picked by other airlines your test may have already been done at the point of departure. However as Susie has pointed out you could have picked the virus on the flight on the way to the ship and it not show due to the incubation period.

Small ships such as Regent could manage this at the point of checking in for a quick test asking providing times of arrival over a broader time period r

So the conclusion imho is there is not a successful way of testing at the point of boarding for a 100% guarantee of being free of infection. 
The cruise lines have to be seen to be doing something to try to adhere to the draconian measures being dictated to them. Airlines are having to do the same and trying to accommodate in what is an even more confined environment especially in long haul.

Emirates Check in

I am assuming that the quick test will be available soon.  Still think that testing before boarding a plane is a good idea.  However, most Regent cruisers stay at a hotel overnight and that could be where the issue lies.  If Regent is able to partner with hotels that do the best possible sanitation and require passengers to utilize those hotels (rather than opting out and doing our own thing), it may help.  

While I initially thought that Mark Conroy's idea of sending test kits with final documents, it now seems like a better idea if airlines did the testing.  

Also, as we may remember, there were a lot of non-stops flights in the past..  Maybe, to avoid hanging out in airports waiting for connecting flights, more non-stop flights could be offered (especially between the U.S. and Europe, the Middle East, etc.  It is interesting that one can easily get a non-stop flight to Australia, New Zealand, and Hong Kong - all long flights but we cannot fly to other destinations non-stop (unless you live on the east coast where the flights to Europe, for example, are much shorter than from other places in the U.S.  It seems that most BA flights make stops in Heathrow, Lufthansa flights make stops in Munich or Frankfurt, etc.  Flights to most destinations that Regent embarks or disembarks from can easily be reached without a refueling stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fizzy,

I guess great minds seem to work in the same direction. We have been looking into Sea Dream -- not because it would necessarily be Covid-safer than Regent, but because it would be something different for us. We are not looking to quit Regent anytime, but trying something new that sounds good is always a good idea.

The information I have seen about the Emirates pre-flight tests is that they are blood tests, documented with photographs.  It did not say if the tests are for the antibodies or for active infection.  However, I have not heard anything about a blood test for active infection and that does not make any sense to me medically.  The antibody test will be positive some time after the onset of active infection, and the problem with testing being negative early on will be even worse than with the nasal swab for active virus.  In addition, the antibody test will remain positive long after the person has recovered and is no longer infectious.  So using an antibody test to screen travelers makes no sense to me whatsoever.  I know that Emirates is doing it, but it seems to me like purely a marketing ploy with no actual protective value.

If anyone has a solid scientific reference that I am wrong about this, I would love to hear it.  When I said a DIY test did not exist, I was referring to a test for active virus, although I have not heard about a DIY test for the antibody either.  They are totally different and give totally different information.

Edited by SusieQft

18 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Mark Conroy (former President of Regent and beloved by many) responded to an inquiry from a Silversea passenger regarding what procedures they are considering going forward.  One thing they are considering is sending an "instant" Covid-19 test to passengers with their final documents to test themselves before boarding the plane and testing again prior to boarding.  While I like the idea of sending a test with final documents, if they come in contact with someone infected on the airplane, they would be stranded someplace in the world.  OTOH, airlines are doing so much to keep their planes safe (testing passengers before flights may be a good idea).  

While I am generally not interested in what other luxury lines are doing, in this case, I feel that we need as much information as possible on how to keep passengers and crews safe.

Thank you TC for mentioning this item from the Silversea board.  I agree that as various lines consider resumption of service, it is helpful to monitor what others are doing and/or proposing.  We've got our first Silversea cruise coming up in March 2021 so it is of particular interest to me.

2 hours ago, greykitty said:

On the other hand, guessing all eyes will be watching big old Carnival and hoping for its success should these phase in plans come to fruition - not a lot of details yet, of course

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-tr-cru-carnival-cruise-line-august-1-20200504-3u2jfikq35ghxkgqng6ctdxzni-story.html

In a related CNBC story on the Carnival announcement, I thought that this quote was interesting:

The company said all other North American and Australian cruises will be canceled through Aug. 31. The company said it will use that time to “engage experts, government officials and stakeholders on additional protocols and procedures.”

With regard to the underscored text above, and also referencing Conroy's statements, it seems that the industry is still working on an approach that will best ensure the maximum safety for both guests and crew.  I have to think that the lines will coalesce (perhaps through CLIA?) around some sort of boilerplate strategy for all cruise lines to follow.

I would agree that CLIA and its member lines probably would want to come up with a common base strategy that meets CDC mandates.  Then, who knows what 'additions' each line may focus on in their advertising and execution.

I would hope that Carnival even mentioning a strategy means that they (and the others) are making some progress with meeting CDC requirements.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrlevin said:

In other words, you are going to penalize those of us that have taken care to not get the virus......

Marc

Marc, how is that a penalty. I said that anitbody testing would allow those who were already "cured" to travel worry free. I didn't suggest anything else.

With estimates that over 50% of those infected not having any symptoms coupled with some newer studies that suggest the virus may be be 30-80 time more prevalent in the general population antibody testing  seem like  no brainer to at least get some percentage of passengers on the ship to add some level of "herd Immunity" for other non exposed passengers.

Who wouldn't like to know if they were on of the millions who had Covid and were totally asymptomatic and could get on a ship tomorrow without any worries. 

BTW antibody testing has been available for months and has been readily used in South Korea and EU.

J

Edited by JMARINER
add

RJ2002 - we were posting at the same time.  As you likely know, we do like Silversea.  Which ship will you be sailing on and what is the itinerary?

I personally do not care what Carnival cruise lines are doing (unless it again hurts other cruise lines).  They are certainly not a "poster child" for any cruise line.  They may need to see what other cruise lines are doing successfully  (those that have not been stranded due to cases of Covid-19).

Wendy - thank you for the update for the information about the current testing in Canada.  I'm wondering if we will have enough tests to do it within a week of our cruise and have the results with us when we board an aircraft.

45 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well a quick test that was being developed here in Ontario has been withdrawn for now because of glitches and unknowns about accuracy: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/spartan-recall-test-1.5553947

Interesting article.  It said results in "under 60 minutes," but what it did not explicitly say is that it can probably process only one test at a time, similar to the Abbott machine throughout the US that can give positive results in 5 minutes, and negative results in 13 minutes.  Since testing symptomatic patients yields only about 20% positive results, I would guess that means about 4 tests per hour, 5 at the most.  A human has to remove the previous sample and set up the new sample each time, so even that would require a very attentive human who is at risk handling potentially infectious samples.  The results are "instant" in the sense that you don't have to send it off to a lab with an automated process, but the throughput is much, much less.  This type of machine in its current form would not work for testing everyone getting on a plane or ship, even at 4 or 5 tests per hour.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

RJ2002 - we were posting at the same time.  As you likely know, we do like Silversea.  Which ship will you be sailing on and what is the itinerary?

I personally do not care what Carnival cruise lines are doing (unless it again hurts other cruise lines).  They are certainly not a "poster child" for any cruise line.  They may need to see what other cruise lines are doing successfully  (those that have not been stranded due to cases of Covid-19).

We have a deposit on the Wind, boarding in Capetown, and then up the west Africa coast and disembark in either Accra, Ghana or continuing on to Lisbon.  An exotic itinerary, but that's our style now.  Unique ports.  The Wind is supposed to be undergoing a refurb later this year, but we'll have to see what happens now given all the uncertainties.  And of course, those unique ports may pose a challenge as well, so we'll just have to see how this all plays out.

More broadly, I do think that whether we're talking mass market or luxury or something in between, all the cruise lines are going to be struggling with exactly how they are going to meet the challenge of keeping both guests and crew safe and healthy once cruising resumes.  It is going to be interesting to see what any line does, regardless of their classification and demographic.  After all, they are all floating hotels/resorts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Some of my clients charter in the 70M range and they are about the nicest people I have ever met.

I cannot resist commenting, that if Below Deck is any indication of what private yacht charters are like - they are crazy (not all).  Perhaps I'm watching too much Below Deck.

P.S.  Love seeing those $10,000-20,000 tips for a 4 day cruise.  

The trouble with any diy test is who verifies it? You have had Coronavirus and I know it but I want a good antibody test so ask you to do it. Anything that is diy is a total non starter, trust no one.

I will not cruise until a suitable vaccine is available. Over here, we have seen no new cases over the last few days, but also some islands in the Bailiwick have had no cases at all. 

We are allowed to meet in “bubbles” but no one else. 

To me, my cruises have been a holiday, and I am prepared to accept that my wife stays on board whilst I go ashore on trips off. So that’s the reason why I chose Regent. 

Stay safe. 

Private yacht charters all depend on who charters the yacht. The people appearing on that show reportedly get the cruise for free as long as they tip. Most of them are disgusting examples of humanity.

Ben, the chef, is a great guy in real life. Known him since he was about 12.

35 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Marc, how is that a penalty. I said that anitbody testing would allow those who were already "cured" to travel worry free. I didn't suggest anything else.

With estimates that over 50% of those infected not having any symptoms coupled with some newer studies that suggest the virus may be be 30-80 time more prevalent in the general population antibody testing  seem like  no brainer to at least get some percentage of passengers on the ship to add some level of "herd Immunity" for other non exposed passengers.

Who wouldn't like to know if they were on of the millions who had Covid and were totally asymptomatic and could get on a ship tomorrow without any worries. 

BTW antibody testing has been available for months and has been readily used in South Korea and EU.

J

J, you implied that cruise lines could cater to those with positive antibody tests.  Therefore, those of us who have never had the disease and have no antibodies would be "second class."  Nothing wrong with it; cruise lines are businesses aimed to maximize income; if I were in there shoes I would advertise cruises ONLY for those with antibodies; crew would love that too.

Marc

1 hour ago, JMARINER said:

J

J, with all due respect, one of the studies mentioned in that article was withdrawn because the data was flawed (the already-infamous "Santa Clara" study), and as my scientist husband says, any data from the month of March is very flawed because testing was so inconsistent or unavailable.   There are some suggestions that what they suggest might be true, but as of now, into early May, they really have no idea if this is true.

As for antibody tests, no one at this moment even knows if antibodies will bestow long-term immunity from the disease.  So we're speculating *way* past all of our collective knowledge.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

J, you implied that cruise lines could cater to those with positive antibody tests.  Therefore, those of us who have never had the disease and have no antibodies would be "second class."  Nothing wrong with it; cruise lines are businesses aimed to maximize income; if I were in there shoes I would advertise cruises ONLY for those with antibodies; crew would love that too.

Marc

Your reading things into my comments that I never said.

Only if, or until, the cruise lines can find a way to protect those of us who are susceptible to Covid19 will the cruise lines really be able to return to any semblance of business.

J

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I just had a crazy thought.... why not go back to the Renaissance method of chartering planes from either New York, Miami or Los Angeles to fly everyone to a Regent ship?

If it added an additional cost, within reason,  that’s fine with me. 
sheila

You do remember that Renaissance went bankrupt, right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I just had a crazy thought.... why not go back to the Renaissance method of chartering planes from either New York, Miami or Los Angeles to fly everyone to a Regent ship?

If it added an additional cost, within reason,  that’s fine with me. 
sheila

With so many planes going unused, and with some pilots and flight attendants laid off, this is a good (if not great) idea (until they need their planes and crew back).  Now, if we could just figure out the hotel thing.

Marc - we were posting at at the same time.  Did chartering planes contribute to the demise of Renaissance?  I know little about that now defunct cruise line other than there was an issue with trying to cut travel agents out (not a good idea) and building too many ships too soon.  Just curious.

Edited by Travelcat2