Starting up a cruise ship.

Sir PMP

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The major timeline for reactivating will be getting the crew back onboard.  Once there, and a couple of days of refresher training, some safety drills, and then they need to clean and prep the hotel again, and then move the ship to its homeport for provisioning and fueling.  I'm going to say 3-4 weeks, but that depends on how the airline situation is at the time.

I'd say that there is a twofold reason that all these ships are in/heading towards SE Asia with crew onboard.  One being that there was no other way to get them back home, second is that with the ships laying up in that area then they will just go around and pick them back up once cruising resumes. 

Captain Mercer has a new blog today with some good info on the current movement of the HAL fleet. http://captainjonathan.com/

Linda R.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I'd say that there is a twofold reason that all these ships are in/heading towards SE Asia with crew onboard.  One being that there was no other way to get them back home, second is that with the ships laying up in that area then they will just go around and pick them back up once cruising resumes. 

Captain Mercer has a new blog today with some good info on the current movement of the HAL fleet. http://captainjonathan.com/

Linda R.

This is likely, but you then trade the delay in flights with a delay in sailing to the intended cruise area.

37 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

What a mess!

23 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

This is likely, but you then trade the delay in flights with a delay in sailing to the intended cruise area.

33 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Linda R.

Whenever it gets to the point of cruising to start up again, it will be in limited areas I imagine.  Getting the crew to those areas would necessitate flying.  I would think that there will still be areas where flying the crew through won't be an option.  As it is now, the ships taking them directly home is the best (only) option.  That may very well be the same in reverse.

Linda R.

17 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thank you, Cooper.  Guess I'm holding out less and less hope for our July 4th cruise from Boston.  Should I give up hoping altogether and realize I won't be doing any B2B in Canada this year?  I was due to return to Boston on July 11th sailing from Montreal.

HI again. Glad we had the chance to meet while on the Nieuw Statendam over the recent holidays. 

Yeah stuck between a rock and a hard place. While we were on we booked our Holiday back on Nieuw Statendam for 20-21 in the same cabin. Nothing else in between cruising wise. But now because of this nagging virus we are not so sure even for our sailing in December. What we are planning to do is see where things are at when it comes to final payment time but even at this point we are both not optimistic that we will want to go even if the ship is scheduled to sail. Also due to mom's underlying health problems. I have said too that if we wanted to go see family in Minnesota we might have to drive and I would be the one doing all of it. I don't know where you are with your final payment but with so much having to happen its hard to say when ships will get going again. Ours is fortunately not till later this year but making our decision at final payment time will be the difference in our $200 deposit and thousands if we went ahead and made our final payment and didn't end up going canceling closer to sailing and yeah we always take the insurance. But its taking forever for the cruise lines to refund money to so many people and its that money which people really could use right now. Good luck with whatever happens. For us if we don't go it will be gut wrenching as we have been at sea for the Holidays 32 years in a row so we haven't been home since 1988 and I won't know what to do if we end up here at home this year and we have no family in our area. I remember before we started this Holiday cruising I would stay up and watch the festivities in Times Square on TV and then go to bed. For so many years it has been way more fun to be doing this on the ship.

6 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

HI again. Glad we had the chance to meet while on the Nieuw Statendam over the recent holidays. 

Yeah stuck between a rock and a hard place. While we were on we booked our Holiday back on Nieuw Statendam for 20-21 in the same cabin. Nothing else in between cruising wise. But now because of this nagging virus we are not so sure even for our sailing in December. What we are planning to do is see where things are at when it comes to final payment time but even at this point we are both not optimistic that we will want to go even if the ship is scheduled to sail. Also due to mom's underlying health problems. I have said too that if we wanted to go see family in Minnesota we might have to drive and I would be the one doing all of it. I don't know where you are with your final payment but with so much having to happen its hard to say when ships will get going again. Ours is fortunately not till later this year but making our decision at final payment time will be the difference in our $200 deposit and thousands if we went ahead and made our final payment and didn't end up going canceling closer to sailing and yeah we always take the insurance. But its taking forever for the cruise lines to refund money to so many people and its that money which people really could use right now. Good luck with whatever happens. For us if we don't go it will be gut wrenching as we have been at sea for the Holidays 32 years in a row so we haven't been home since 1988 and I won't know what to do if we end up here at home this year and we have no family in our area. I remember before we started this Holiday cruising I would stay up and watch the festivities in Times Square on TV and then go to bed. For so many years it has been way more fun to be doing this on the ship.

You have my sympathy, we were supposed to disembark from our Hawaii cruise yesterday.  I'm glad it's over.  Now I can stop doing that "this is what we'd be doing if we were on the ship today". We were going to take the FCC but decided against it and glad we did after seeing this thread, laying up ships for any length of time has an aspect of permanence to it.  

The hardest part for us is I can't think of any time when we didn't have a cruise booked, so that is difficult for us and we'll have to come up with a way to adapt, we're hoping land based trips can resume at least, we'd be fine with flying to our destination.  It's better than nothing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

For us if we don't go it will be gut wrenching as we have been at sea for the Holidays 32 years in a row so we haven't been home since 1988 and I won't know what to do if we end up here at home this year and we have no family in our area. I remember before we started this Holiday cruising I would stay up and watch the festivities in Times Square on TV and then go to bed. For so many years it has been way more fun to be doing this on the ship.

Surely not celebrating Christmas and New Year's at sea for as long as you, but I understand what the holiday season 2020 probably will be like for me as well as you.  We will have to find whatever we really enjoy to make it as special for us as it can be.

51 minutes ago, atexsix said:

The hardest part for us is I can't think of any time when we didn't have a cruise booked, 

Well, I can think of some times when I did not have a cruise booked, but that was when I had more family responsibilities than I do now.  Since retiring:  this time, yes, surely is an "empty" period.  Having something to look forward to helps one to "get through" whatever adversity one experiences, I think.  I have one although not cruise related.  Ohio is the home of several Presidents and their Museums.  I have visited a couple.  When my State reopens and I can safely travel, it will be an opportunity to visit those sites that have long been on my "to do" list.