QM2 location (Merged threads)

speedwell

• 1 month later...

Here's a webcam capture of QM2 at Heraklion this morning. This is a distant view to be sure, but it's a chance to feature a port we haven't seen yet on this thread. This is from Skyline Webcam's "Heraklion Live cam" found at "skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/crete/heraklion/heraklion.html".

201506168_QM2Heraklion2023-01-19.thumb.jpg.c3a438f4bf46b26235f8ffd5b799bd11.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

QM2 is in Brisbane today, so of course I had to go over for a look.   Two photos attached below. 

I hope all passengers and crew have a good port day.  We have some high clouds keeping the late summer sunlight more comfortable,  and a high of 32c expected. 

20230308_111106.thumb.jpg.3c0d2df0a862e43cccc184d22015b4dc.jpg

20230308_111259.thumb.jpg.b03ce4f6c9b51c23c6b40884862dcd15.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks @Solent Richard.  Your review is a pretty good overview of Brisbane.  I'm not a particular fan of bugs, but Mrs sfred loves them.  Unfortunately the Eagle Street Pier restaurant area is being redeveloped for a new office tower.  Several popular restaurants, including the seafood place where you had the bugs, have been shut for the construction.

As you noticed, Brisbane has a new cruise terminal, at Luggage Point on the opposite side of the Brisbane River to the Grain Terminal.  It is much nicer than the industrial pier, although still a ways out of the city centre.  It was completed in early 2020 just in time for the covid shutdown years, and sat unused.  It is now in full operation this year.  QE was here a few weeks ago, and QM2 today.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks @Solent Richard.  Your review is a pretty good overview of Brisbane.  I'm not a particular fan of bugs, but Mrs sfred loves them.  Unfortunately the Eagle Street Pier restaurant area is being redeveloped for a new office tower.  Several popular restaurants, including the seafood place where you had the bugs, have been shut for the construction.

As you noticed, Brisbane has a new cruise terminal, at Luggage Point on the opposite side of the Brisbane River to the Grain Terminal.  It is much nicer than the industrial pier, although still a ways out of the city centre.  It was completed in early 2020 just in time for the covid shutdown years, and sat unused.  It is now in full operation this year.  QE was here a few weeks ago, and QM2 today.

And I believe that it’s Queen Mary 2’s maiden call at the new terminal….

555870C1-39D1-4413-8827-DC1613E32722.jpeg

• 1 month later...

QM2 returns to Southampton this evening to complete her 2023 world voyage for those who started in Southampton. She's returning early with reports there is a technical issue with one of her engines which needs to be worked on while she's in port. As of this posting, she isn't scheduled to depart Southampton until the morning of Monday, April 24th.

This is a capture from the Netley Cam stream on the Solent Ships YouTube Channel.

QM2SouthamptonArrival2023-04-22.thumb.jpg.917e3b0b24fb5d0c5ea08d7c28adc514.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, techteach said:

Sounds like they need him down in the engine room today.

Indeed!   Sympathies to all those aboard and/or affected by the cancellations.

I wonder what the "technical issues" are that have caused the 23/30th cancellations?  QM2 was making good speed to arrive in Southampton early, so at that point there was sufficient diesel and gas turbine generating capacity for propulsion and hotel loads.  In aviation, there's something called the Minimum Equipment List (MEL) or Minimum Equipment Requirements (MER), which are the things that must be working for an aircraft to legally depart, particularly on a long overwater route.  I imagine shipping and QM2 might have a similar list.  If so, what went crook on QM2's MEL to require cancellation?  Fresh water generation?  Fire prevention?  Ventilation?

Edited by sfred

The Southampton VTS website has been updated to show QM2 scheduled to depart April 27 at a time TBA. It still shows her destination as New York which of course is not correct. But that updated departure date from April 24 to April 27 is an interesting development.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

Almost ran in to the Isle of Wight though...

The IOW is most confusing. As you know, things are occasionally described as X times the size of the IOW. How do they know this? Because they take it away to use as a measure. Certainly there are clear days when it is not visible from Bournemouth, so they must be using it do do this. On those days, I imagine the ships just go straight across.😀😀

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The IOW is most confusing. As you know, things are occasionally described as X times the size of the IOW. How do they know this? Because they take it away to use as a measure. Certainly there are clear days when it is not visible from Bournemouth, so they must be using it do do this. On those days, I imagine the ships just go straight across.😀😀

Wales is the usual measure in the UK. How many IoWs to a Wales?

(Answer, 1 Wales  = 54.5 Isle of Wights)

I have heard "Belgium" used some times, but that's not quite so useful for a Brit (about 1.5 Wales to a Belgium)