Room for some optimism

nordski

The BBC polishes its crystal ball and imagines what travel may look like in the near future.

At the end the article points out the special difficulties faced by the cruising industry. Those problems are why, when in a positive frame of mind, I think that smaller ships are in a better position to face the new realities than the larger ones.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52450038

In another article, Sir John Bell states that tests will show by June whether the vaccine his team is working on will be seen as a major step forward. Sir John has considerable prestige since he is Canadian-born and educated, oh, and he has some position at Oxford.

If successful, he argues that the vaccine produced, and its later versions, will become part of an annual protocol similar to the present flu "shots". Well, I do hope he uses that good North American term rather than the more frightening "jabs" 🙂

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

When you think about it Jab is the more accurate description.

True, although I have been blessed recently to have such skilled medical personnel that I didn't even notice the jab.  [BTW even the least skilled jabber nowadays is better than the recollections from my youth, when they had reusable needles that were much larger and less sharp than today's throwaway type.  Ow!  Even the memory hurts...]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

When you think about it Jab is the more accurate description.

I agree more accurate, but “shots” do seem more benign.

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

True, although I have been blessed recently to have such skilled medical personnel that I didn't even notice the jab.  [BTW even the least skilled jabber nowadays is better than the recollections from my youth, when they had reusable needles that were much larger and less sharp than today's throwaway type.  Ow!  Even the memory hurts...]

There was certainly no concern about the pain/fear factor when Public Health nurses arrived at our school to publicly inject vaccines. Fainting sometimes was the outcome and that wasn’t particularly good for class morale. 

You would not have been happy to see the rather large bore needles that we used on livestock such as swine.

The purpose seemed to be to inject a large amount very quickly given the potentially moving target. I wonder if they knew our intent when we entered the pens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nordski said:

I agree more accurate, but “shots” do seem more benign.

Obviously It's all in the mind but I think that I would rather be jabbed than shot anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

The laugh was for the swine knowing ... and they probably did ... what you were about to do!

Of all the animals I worked with, swine seemed to be the most intelligent. 

Well, excepting our border collie.

I can understand why a seemingly increasing number of people have decided to make them pets.

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Obviously It's all in the mind but I think that I would rather be jabbed than shot anyway.

When I was young, the phrase was getting a “needle”. “Shots” was an Americanism that has travelled north.

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

At the end of the day nobody will care what it's called if a working vaccine is available.

I certainly agree.

I do hope that no one took my terminology comment seriously.

It was just a feeble attempt to point out the new language we sometimed have to learn when relocating/visiting England.

• Like 2

I think the medical people now just call it immunizations or boosters.  Hey, we all want immunity.

A bit troubling today is the Twitter heros rooting for the industry to "go away" in reaction to some Carnival announcement.  Most are the "blue checkmark journalists".  If I put in writing what I think of these people, I'd be suspended from Cruise Critic.

10 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I think the medical people now just call it immunizations or boosters.  Hey, we all want immunity.

A bit troubling today is the Twitter heros rooting for the industry to "go away" in reaction to some Carnival announcement.  Most are the "blue checkmark journalists".  If I put in writing what I think of these people, I'd be suspended from Cruise Critic.

Totally agree. There’s some horrendous content on Twitter in relation to vaccination. I don’t know why they allow it.

18 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Vaccination saves lives!

No matter what you call it!  

[I am a 'Polio Pioneer 1954' – first general administration of the Salk vaccine.  I still have the pin to prove it.]

• Like 4